Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release

kousa

Hello,

I am working with the following configuration :

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
      • OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3
      • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC 2015 Release
      • EPSON Stylus Pro 3880

I tried to print two images on a Super A3 paper sheet with an EPSON Stylus Pro 3880 directly from Lightroom and here is an example of what I expected (I resized and added a black border for better visibility on the forum):

print-expected.jpg

This is the preview I have in the printing module of Lightroom and this is also what I have when I print to a JPEG file with Lightroom.

Sadly, after I launched the printing job, this is what came out of the printer:

print-result.jpg

As we can see, the layout of the two pictures has been shifted toward the top of the paper sheet (cropping the top of the first image in the process) and about 30% of the right part of the layout has not been printed.

Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong here?

For your information, I do not print very often so I am not 100% sure that I set everything correctly. However, I have been successfully printing in the past and it was with the same MacBook Pro on the same EPSON Stylus Pro 3880 printer but it was with OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1 and with Lightroom 5.x (I cannot remember exactly which version).

Moreover, because my print was urgent, I retried with a Windows machine running Lightroom 4.x with the same printer and it was a success. So I doubt that my initial settings on my MacBook Pro were wrong although I am not 100% sure.

• 1. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
          kousa Level 1

It looks like other people are having the same kind of problems :

Printing issues in Lightroom 5

Lightroom 5 printing problems with A3 paper size.

I tried new prints with my MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3 and Lightroom CC 2015 Release but this time on A4 paper with a different printer (Canon i-Sensys MF8580Cdw) and there is no problem at all.

• 2. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
            lucien58 Level 1

I am having the same problem, with Yosemite 10.10.3 and the latest version of Lightroom CC2015, and I even tried Lightroom 5.  But not with A3 but with US Letter size.  image is printed small on one corner of the paper, but looks fine and centered on the screen.  It seems like Apple, Adobe, and Epson don't talk to each other on these matters. The materials wasted communally must be enormous, not to mention production time.

• 3. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
              kousa Level 1

I am in France and I found out that EPSON is providing at least two different files for its v9.33 driver that relate to the Stylus Pro 3880 with OSX:

and I realize that I was using the US driver which.

After few minutes of refection, I realized that the 3880 driver that I installed on my MacBook pro was the only piece that was present when my prints failed and absent when my prints succeeded. So I though it had found out the cause of my problems until I tried with the french driver (epson379436eu.dmg)...

In the meantime Adobe has release of new version of lightroom so let me recap my new configuration:

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
              • OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3
              • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC 2015.0.1 [ 1018573 ] (info available in Help menu > System info > Lightroom version)
              • EPSON Stylus Pro 3880
              • Epson driver v9.33 epson379436eu.dmg

... and the result of my test is ... nothing at all! Lightroom sends the the print job to the printer but nothing comes out of it.

However, when I printed to a file from lightroom and then tried to print this file with OS X Preview on the Epson 3880, it worked perfectly.

It also worked when I printed from Photoshop CC (2014.2.2).

It also worked when I printed from Lightroom but with a different printed and driver (Canon MF8580Cdw).

Therefore, among the five elements of my configuration cited above, there is none for which the printing job is always failing. It is hard to find out what is the faulty piece of software!

• 4. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                kousa Level 1

Cédric from Adobe Support in France gave me this link to check out: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-printing-problems-photoshop-cs4-2.html

I will try to have look when I find some time.

• 5. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                  kousa Level 1

It looks like Mr Cedric from Adobe Support has a very curious way of troubleshooting problems.

Indeed, after a few message exchanged, he quickly concluded the following and closed the issue ticket before I could even reply:

"Nous constatons que le dernier pilote de votre imprimante date de 4 ans. Je vais vous inviter à contacter Epson afin de voir si un nouveau pilote sortira bientôt car il s'agit la d'un problème de compatibilité."

Well, Mr Cedric seems to forget what has been written here in my first message:

"I have been successfully printing in the past and it was with the same MacBook Pro on the same EPSON Stylus Pro 3880 printer but it was with OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1 and with Lightroom 5.x (I cannot remember exactly which version)."

And the driver I used was either epson16738.dmg (US driver) or epson379436eu.dmg (EU driver).

• 6. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                    Rodolfo Canet Level 1

I've also lost a A3+ sheet with the same bug (Mac OSX Yosemite 10.3, Lightroom 6, Epson 2880)

• 7. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                      kousa Level 1

Here is some updates:

I contacted Epson and it seems to me than they care more than Mr Cedric from Adobe. Epson said that they were investigating the problem on their side and they advice me to install the "Apple Common Updater" (Epson Stylus Pro 3880 : Apple Common Updater 1.0).

So, I started by uninstalling everything with the "Uninstall Center" (Support et téléchargements - Epson Stylus Pro 3880 - Epson), then I installed the "Apple Common Updater", then I plugged the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 printer but it seems that the driver was not installed by the "Apple Common Updater". So I unplugged the printer installed the driver (Pilote v9.33 23-oct.-2014 ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/3794/epson379436eu.dmg) and then plug the printer again.

Surprisingly, my prints on A4 paper sheets were successful.

• 8. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                        kousa Level 1

kousa a écrit:

... and the result of my test is ... nothing at all! Lightroom sends the the print job to the printer but nothing comes out of it.

I had this problem again and I noticed that clicking on the "Print" button does nothing sometimes. However, without changing anything, clicking on the "Printer..." button and then on the "Print" button inside the popup that appears successfully launches the print job.

• 9. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                          tlemke

I have this same issue. I also have pretty much the same system you have...My MacBook is only 1 year old.  I've had good luck printing and now I'm suddenly getting the same results as you show in your photo. Is there an answer?  Thanks!

• 10. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                            kousa Level 1

tlemke wrote:

I have this same issue. I also have pretty much the same system you have...My MacBook is only 1 year old.  I've had good luck printing and now I'm suddenly getting the same results as you show in your photo. Is there an answer?  Thanks!

Are you printing on Super A3 (A3+) paper sheets?

I would suggest first that you update to the recent update of Lightroom (CC 2015.1) which may correct the bug. At this point you can perform a new test, use your paper sheet which you failed the print and try to print just a miniature of any image (this way you will save money).

If it still does not work, then I am afraid I don't have a solution but as I wrote on June 10th 2015, you can uninstall everything EPSON-related (with the "Uninstall Center"), and re-install the driver again. It may seems useless to do so but it looks like it "fixed" the problem on my side. I am being very careful here when I say "fixed" because I did not try to print on Super A3 sheets since then.

Hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                              michaell21867598

I am having the same problem as you are .. very frustrating

• 12. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                                andyl24204735

This is a Lightroom problem......printing is correct with Photoshop.  Its all the same drivers in both cases.   Please fix!

• 13. Re: Printing layout problem with Lightroom CC 2015 Release
                                  elliots19080791

I am having the same issues. Here are my specs.

Computer - Mac mini newest model

System: El Capitan fully updated

Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer

Software with issues:  Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC

Problem:

Printer will not print on 4x6 paper at all.

If I use 8x10 paper and print the 4x6 it comes out in the middle of page but it is terribly cropped losing 30 percent of image.

If I use 8x10 paper and print an 8x10 of the same image it prints but again with the same crop problem.

The same issue occurs in both LR and PS all CC.  All of the software is fully updated.

Here is the kicker.  I also have On1 Stand Alone ver. 10.5, latest updates.  Everything out of this software prints perfectly.

While I like Lightroom very much as well as Photoshop and have been using for years, if the only way I can print is to use a program like On1 then it will have to be.  It just seems that Adobe in the past year has had more screwy issues from one upgrade to the next.

So here I am in the same boat as the rest of you with different printing issues but in this case with a Canon printer.  And by the way the Canon firmware is up to date.  The driver for the Canon has to be derived from Apple which is what Canon writes on their site.