4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 8:41 AM by clarkhad

Bend Path

clarkhad Level 1

I have an AE comp with a shape layer that contains a path.

I want to animate the path as such:

1. Begin as a straight path:  |

2. Keyframe bottom end point so that path is now a "U" shape:  U

3. Keyframe right end point back to a straight path:  |

Any way to do this?

• 1. Re: Bend Path
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Make a straight-line mask on a solid: beginning of line, end of line and a mask vertex at the middle point.  Make a mask path keyframe.  Copy it and paste it later in the comp.  Go back about midway in the comp.  Alter the mask path vertices to make a U-shaped mask path.

There you go.

• 2. Re: Bend Path
            clarkhad Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

How do you create a straight-line mask on a solid? It appears that you can only make closed path masks in AE.

When I use the pen tool and make a straight line on a solid layer, it creates a mask but the solid color is still visible and I can't change the color of the mask stroke.

• 3. Re: Bend Path
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're doing it with a mask on a solid, add the Stroke effect. That will allow you to paint On Transparent and with whatever color you desire.

• 4. Re: Bend Path
                clarkhad Level 1

Thanks, Szalam!

1. I tried the stroke effect and it appeared to work for what I want to do, but I can't figure out how to animate the number of points on the stroke. I need to keyframe more/less points over time.

2. The stroke effect creates strokes with a rounded cap. How do I create a stroke effect with a butt cap?

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do:

Example.png

The blue dots represent points I need to add/remove to get the desired shapes.