7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 7:21 PM by A.T. Romano

I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.

PW5426

It is a 55-minute mixed still and video project with scene markers.  I am using Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7-64.  While doing the project, I noted no problems with media, and the project always rendered with no problems.  I have burned other short projects with no problems in the meantime.  I have deleted and reloaded PrE but the problem persists.  What do I do now??

• 1. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PW5426

Are you doing a burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

How far are you getting in the burn to

Encoding Menus

Encoding Media

Compiling Media

Burning

If you cannot burn to disc, can you burn to folder successfully? If you are in a time crunch and your burn to folder is successful, you can take the VIDEO_TS Folder (for DVD-VIDEO) or BDMV Folder (for AVCHD) to disc with the ImgBurn program. More details on that later.

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray and are in the burn dialog ready to hit the Burn button, what does the Quality Area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate (with and without "Fit Content To Available Space" enabled?

What is your menu situation....what disc menu theme, how many Timeline markers and what kind, any stop markers (if so any at the end of the last item on the Timeline)?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
            PW5426 Level 1

Thanks for the attention. 

I am trying to burn a DVD-video on a DVD.

The project gets through encoding and compiling, and starts the burning process, but apparently never gets to even writing the lead-in on the disk.  The burner opens up, and there’s nothing on the disk. Since I experienced the issue, I have created other DVDs (storing files without problems – even using the blank DVDs that I had used to create the project.  I have tried saving the project to a VTS file, and the same sequence occurs – The project encodes and compiles, but will not create or save a VTS file.  I am not aware of the ImgBurn app

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray and are in the burn dialog ready to hit the Burn button, what does the Quality Area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate (with and without "Fit Content To Available Space" enabled?

The burn dialog shows 3.1 Gb requires at a burn rate of 8Mps.  When I uncheck the “fit Content” option and run the slider to the right (“highest quality”), it’s still 3.1 GB at 8Mps.

What is your menu situation....what disc menu theme, how many Timeline markers and what kind, any stop markers (if so any at the end of the last item on the Timeline)?

I am using the “Pan and Zoom” menu theme in the Slideshow category with images from the show as menu backgrounds.  I am using a menu with six scene markers and a stop marker at the end of the show.

I have used all of these settings before for DVD projects with no problem, so I am baffled,  Furthermore, I have been creating DVD’s with PRE 10 since the fall of 2012 with no problems.  I look forward to hearing from you with some ideas.  In the meantime, I am going to try burning the project with the menu markers and stop marker removed to see what happens.  I appreciate your concern and interest.

• 3. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PW5426

Thanks for the reply.

The major flare from your information is the stop marker placed at the end of the last item on the Timeline. It is not necessary and classically causes major burn to workflow problems. So, I am looking forward to learning of the outcome when you remove that stop marker from the Timeline.

I have not looked at version 10 Pan and Zoom theme, but there are aspect ratio issues with Slideshows/Pan and Zoom Theme in version 12/12.1. I have not looked at earlier versions for this issue. But, right now, I am not suspecting that this is involved in your present situation. Nonetheless, please review the Timeline menu marker placements as well as the situation in disc menu customization involving overlapping buttons.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 12: Movie Menu Pan and Zoom Background Replacement Issues

Nonetheless as a mini test run and, if nothing else is helping, try using another disc menu theme. But, I would save this idea to the end.

Main thing now is the menu marker (stop marker) situation.

ATR

• 4. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
                PW5426 Level 1

AT:

I can report success.  It took me a while to get to this today, but I tried two versions.  First I cut out all scene markers and the stop marker.  That eliminated one of the menu pages too, of course.  It burned satisfactorily.  Next I eliminated only the stop marker, and changed the menu pages to a non-HD theme (travel:  countryside).  That version also burned without incident.  Both versions play without trouble, and the menu pages allow navigation to scenes.

Tomorrow, I may trying putting the HD theme menu pages back in and see what happens.  This will help me understand the limitations I may face on future projects.  I will report results when I get them.  Hopefully you are right about the stop marker being the villain.

Thanks for your help and ideas,

-

Paul

• 5. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for following up on the suggestions. Glad to learn of your burn to successes. Great job.

Looking forward to your further results about the menus and Timeline menu markers.

ATR

• 6. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
                    PW5426 Level 1

I am sorry to be so tardy in keeping you up to date, A.T., but I finally got around to changing the menu pages and putting the HD menu pages (Slideshow:  Pan and Zoom) back in the project.  I left the stop menu button out, and the project burned successfully.  So it seems that the stop button is the villain in the piece.  I will do without it from now on.  Thanks for your help.

FYI, I have also ordered – but not installed - Premiere Elements 13.  Fingers are crossed.

Thanks again,

-

Paul

• 7. Re: I am having problems getting a project to burn to DVD.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Wonderful news about your burn to disc success. Great job.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements 13 which you have ordered and is on its way to you.

Until you are settled in with Premiere Elements 13/13.1, it might be to your advantage to keep Premiere Elements 10 installed but not in use.

Any questions or need clarification on 10 or 13/13.1, please do not hesitate to ask. Sounds like lots of great video projects coming up.

ATR