9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 3:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems publishing video.

Trevanchiew

I am having problems publishing my video.  They are edited and will render or publish nicely at home on my computer.  I can view any of the formats MP4, NTSC etc. but when I copy them to show them elsewhere, they are a pixelated, choppy, stuttering mess.  Strangely, I can publish them by burning to a DVD without problem.  I have tried publishing as FLV, MPEG 2 MP4 720, MP4 1080, H264??

I filmed my footage on a small Kodak compact video camera that I have used for years without issue.  I see that the videos are showing up as 1280 x 720 in their originals.

I have added codec packs, tried different flash drives to carry them but to no avail.  I have a speedy laptop and Radeon graphics card. I am running Windows 8.1.  Most of the machines at my work that I wish to play on run Windows 7.

Any ideas? I'm out of tricks.

• 1. Re: Problems publishing video.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

trevanchiew

What version of Premiere Elements on what computer operating system?

What exactly are you doing when you write

I can view any of the formats MP4, NTSC etc. but when I copy them to show them elsewhere, they are a pixelated, choppy, stuttering mess.

Please describe this "copy" process.

What specifically are you doing when you write

They are edited and will render or publish nicely at home on my computer

Please describe these successful home publish end products.

How does the following relate to your successful home publishing

I have tried publishing as FLV, MPEG 2 MP4 720, MP4 1080, H264??

Please review, consider, detail, and then we can decide on troubleshooting strategy. Also please give model ot the Kodak compact camera, the source of your video files so that I can look up its specifications.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems publishing video.
            Trevanchiew Level 1

Hello A.T.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

By 'viewing the formats" I meant that my copy of Premiere Elements 12 allows me to publish in many formats--MP4, NTSC, FLV, AVCDH etc--and I can view each of these published files on 'my' computer when they are finished rendering.

I usually view all of my video files using VLC video player, although I have also tried Windows Media Player and there is not improvement in any of the copies.

To 'copy' these published files, I am doing a simple drag and drop onto a flash drive, so that I can transport them to my work.  I have tried several different flash drives.

I 'edit' these clips on the Elements timeline--as I have always done--and preview my movie in the preview window.  When it looks good, I click on 'publish'.  This seems like pretty standard procedure with any video editing software.

The camera I was using was a Kodak Zi10.  I know this camera his a bit odd but I have used it in the past quite successfully.  It takes nice video and is very simple and compact.

I have checked some of the stats on the footage it is taking.  The video clips are MP4 1280 x 720 and Data rate  8424 kbps Frame Rate 8554 kbps 29 frames/sec.

I tried to attach one of my MP4's here but this site told me the "Image type is forbidden".

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

• 3. Re: Problems publishing video.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Trevanchiew

Thanks for the reply with additional information about your video projects issue.

My understanding of your issue is that you can export your Timeline to a file saved to your home computer hard drive, and it plays fine from there on your home computer players. But if you transfer that file to another computer using a USB Flash Drive, the file presents poorly in the computer players used on the second computer. These players are assumed to be VLC Player and Windows Media Player for home and on second computer. Is my understanding on your issue correct as stated? Also, what I want to make sure of is that you are taking your MP4 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second source into a 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second project and exporting that Timeline to a 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second file. And, that file plays fine on your home computer players. I need that information confirmed as a baseline in the troubleshooting.

I suspect that the Kodak Zi10 video may be recording with a variable frame rate instead of a constant one. Premiere Elements does not fare well with variable frame rate.The remedy for that situation is converting the variable to constant frame rate in free HandBrake (to get H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate). But, since you are not having any problem in the home computer environment, that is not factoring nicely into what is going on in the second computer.

Have you done the critical test to rule Premiere Elements in or out of this issue equation....

If you take your source video (before it ever sees Premiere Elements) and transfer it to your USB Flash Drive for playback on the second computer, does it play OK or poorly in what we are calling your second computer?

You say that you have looked at other USB Flash Drives. Have you explored and experimented with the different File Systems for the USB Flash Drive (NTFS, FAT32, or exFAT) - for that matter what is the File System of the USB Flash Drive that you are using?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems publishing video.
                Trevanchiew Level 1

Hi A.T.

Thanks again for the tips.  Sorry about the delay in responding.

I have followed up with your suggestions and found some interesting results.

I tried formatting a Flash drive to NTFS to no avail. The video was still corrupted.

I then copied some of my original source files (Video and Music files) and tried to view them on my second computer at work.  This should rule Adobe Premiere out of the equation.

These files were also corrupted.  So, am I correct in assuming that issue may not be Premiere but rather something when my computer is copying or writing the files?

I have done some reading about 'hashes' and 'chipsets' but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track....

Still stumped.

• 5. Re: Problems publishing video.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Trevanchiew

Thanks for the update.

You have ruled out Premiere Elements in this issue.

Could we try to rule in or out the camera and its video from the equation? Do you have another camera from which you can download video to your computer? If so, does taking it through the paces same as for Kodak result in what is presenting at corrupt files?

ATR

• 6. Re: Problems publishing video.
                    Trevanchiew Level 1

Hi A.T.

I am once again stumped as this round of testing files has yielded some continuing strange results.

This time, I copied a number of files to flash drives from my home laptop and tried these on a work desktop computer.

These were:

--not video filmed by the suspect Kodak video camera.

--not run through Adobe Premiere to be rendered or published.

All copied and played fine.

I took these same files and added them to Premiere and then published them.

Both played as 'corrupted' when I tested on my work desktop.

I realize these results are not consistent with my previous findings.  I'm at a loss.

I think the question here is....is the issue my laptop computer corrupting files when it copies or 'writes' on to flash drive, or  is it something to do with Premiere.

I may publish some videos in Windows Moviemaker to test this theory.

• 7. Re: Problems publishing video.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Trevanchiew

Thanks for the update.

It will be interesting to see the results from your tests with Movie Maker in place of Premiere Elements.

And, I am wondering if it is possible to inject a 3rd computer into this mix to find out if the problem is restricted to the computer at work.

Please remind me, is the computer at work on the company network?

Is there any indication that the computer at work is looking at the problem files as coming from another computer and blocking them? Can you create the files in the video editor (Premiere Elements or Movie Maker) at work, transfer them to the USB Flash Drive, and then try to play them on your home computer?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problems publishing video.
                        Trevanchiew Level 1

Hi ATR,

I published a short video at home on Windows Moviemaker and transported it to my work as a test.

It did not work in either of two formats (.MP4 and .MWV).  Both would not play at all.

I copied some raw footage that was not 'published' through any editing software.  It came from my little Kodak video camera.

It worked at home on my laptop, it showed as garbled and distorted at my work.

To answer your question, yes, I am on a network at my work.

None of these videos show on my colleague's computer either.

More and more, this is starting to look like the problem is the 'writing' function on my home laptop.

Is there a way to definitively test this?  Could this be a codec conflict?

• 9. Re: Problems publishing video.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Trevanchiew

Thanks for the updates. Interesting results.

Let us try this as the start.

1. Take your video that has never seen a video editor and run it through the free video audio properties readout program named Media Info.

MediaInfo | SourceForge.net

Just be careful with your choices during the download and install of Media Info so that you do not get hit with unwanted baggage that comes along with the very useful Media Info.

Obtain the Media Info Tree View for the video and audio properties of the video file that never saw a video editor.

2. Then put the file through Premiere Elements or Movie Maker. Do a Media Info audio video readout for the export. Be sure to keep this export away from the USB Flash Drive. Here you are going to be exporting the file to the computer hard drive from where you import the export into Media Info for the readout.

3. Then transfer the file from the computer hard drive to the USB Flash Drive. The import the file from the USB Flash Drive into Media Info and get a video audio properties readout.

Compare the properties of the original that never saw Premiere Elements with the properties of the Premiere Elements export

a. saved to computer hard drive

b. transferred to USB Flash Drive from computer hard drive

Also, download and install the free codec utility named GSpot. Run the files through that utility and compare the readouts for Video Name Codec Status and Audio Name Status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

I am not expecting to see properties differences in this comparison, but I want to set a baseline. Yet maybe something unexpected might occur?

Depending on the results from the above, the computers involved will be our focus, especially your home computer.

What do you think?

ATR