24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 11:24 PM by hhelmbold

Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time

haydnmahar

Hi,

I have lightroom 6/CC installed as part of the photography package.  While I love the new features the program suffers from some serious performance issues.  The program starts up quick, and runs very fast for a short period of time, but the longer time I am in the program the more lag I get until the program grinds to a hault and becomes virtually unusable, requiring me to quit and open it again, rince, repeat.  This is a real annoyance as it disrupts my workflow and I often get annoyed that I get up and go do something else.

I have a fairly high spec system.= (the process is a bit old, but still quite powereful)

i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz, I have cooling capacity to overclock this to over 4 GHz if needed, but dont see that as the problem, as other people with higher spec systems than me seem to have the same problem.

DDR3 16GB Ram @2133

Run Lightroom (including catalogues, previews and working files off a 1TB Samsung SSD (when files are complete are move them to a normal internal HDD and backup to an external hard drive)

GTX980 Graphics Card

Wacom intuos 5 touch

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

All/most of my photos are raw, converted to .dng with embedded fast load data, previews are 2048px (i think). I load previews on import and run a 64GB cache on the SSD.

Is adobe aware of this issue and is their a current fix, or a planned resolution?  If so I look forward to hearing about it.

Some people have suggested I split my catalogues up, while others say that this makes not difference, what is adobes stance (and others) stance on this.  I am happy to import working files into a new catalogue, and possible keep client photos in their own catalogue, but I don't want to have to split up all of my photos (currently about 30,000) to different catalogues as this seems to defeat the purpose of using lightroom to manage my photos.

I look forward to hearing back from an Adobe staff member, or other users that may have a solution to this problem.

Cheers,

Haydn

• 1. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
          tlieser Level 1

about splitting the catalog: mine has about 90 thousand pictures in it -- I don't think that is an issue.

what I noticed: after importing a lot of pictures (RAW, with conversion to DNG) I need to optimize and save the catalog and then restart LR CC. otherwise it just grinds down to a very low pace...

I guess this is a problem of catalog/preview management -- and possibly memory management.

My rule of thumb is: Save and optimize before working on the images. Optimize every time a lot of images have been culled.

maybe that helps

• 2. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
            haydnmahar Level 1

Thanks, I will give that ago, I used to work with RAW but now on DNG because its supposed to be faster and because it saves changes to the file.  But still a pain to have to do that everytime.  Hopefully adobe are onto something.

• 3. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
              tlieser Level 1

I do use DNG. I just think that the import of a lot of images causes problems with the catalog and previews.

Just optimize often :-) Shouldn't take too long on your machine.

• 4. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                haydnmahar Level 1

I have never optimised... not once, so we shall see what happens... I think I will wait till tonight when I go to bed, just in case it takes hours.

• 5. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                  coSeed

same issue. actually posted about this before with no real resolution. and no formal response from adobe. your catalog is tiny so that shouldn't be the issue. even worse now with latest CC version. use to happen to be just when culling or updating metadata. with CC update, i had so much lag with develop tools the program is/was unusable. updated all video card drivers and now the tools (like radial adjustments) run fast/smooth for a few minutes, then slow to an unusable crawl.

as a professional photographer who depends on LR daily, i'm a bit at a loss at the moment. up proverbial sh!ts creek without a paddle. not good.

• 6. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                    dj_paige Level 9

Are you doing lots of brushing or lots of spot healing?

Also what happens if you turn off the Graphics acceleration? (Preferences->Performance, uncheck the box)

• 7. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                      coSeed Level 1

In my case, I try to limit the amount of spot healing in LR. Prefer to do that in PS (better tools and faster). Occassionally a good bit of brushing, which sometimes works quite nicely and sometimes grinds to a crawl. But even just dragging out a radial or graduated filter. Seems with fresh restart I can drag and position them completely fluid / real time. But within not very much time, they start grinding. I click and drag and it looks like nothing is happening. Wait 10-20 seconds and then the radial filter I've drawn shows up. Ditto for trying to rotate or reshape. Far to slow to do work with any kind of flow or precision. Never been an issue until this most recent release.

I have tried turning on/off GPU and it seems different things start to fail whether its on/off. Only way I can use the radial/graduated filters at all with this most recent update is will it on. Redraws with it GPU on seem slower though (zooming it etc).

Any suggestions other than trying to revert back to 5.7, assuming thats even possible. Digging through the forums a bit, seems performance issues with this most recent release is a common pain point.

• 8. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                        dj_paige Level 9

I think it is your brushing which slows Lightroom down. This is a known problem, and the solution is to go to Photoshop for brushing and spot healing.

• 9. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                          coSeed Level 1

absent any brushing, i can't even drag out radial or graduated filters. having to revert to old ways of processing images, largely outside lightroom.

• 10. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                            dj_paige Level 9

Brushing problems can slow down the entire system, as your CPU is generating previews of the brushed images behind the scenes, and until that is finished, your Lightroom will be slow

Also make sure face detection is turned off.

• 11. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                              coSeed Level 1

gotcha. but why then with a fresh restart, no brushing, do the other develop tools grind to a halt after a short period of time using the app?

• 12. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                dj_paige Level 9

State your system specs.

State how big the photos are in megapixels (not megabytes which is useless here).

• 13. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                  coSeed Level 1

22.3 megapixel image files from Canon 5D III

It's a dedicated photo workstation. Photo editing is all I use it for. Running Win 7 64 Ultimate. core i7-479 processor. 32GB RAM. OS and Apps are on a dedicated SSD. image files are on a 4TB 7200 rpm data drive. Camera Raw Cache (set at 100GB), LR catalog, and previews are all on a separate dedicated SSD.

Preferences set to optimize catalog on every exit. Which lately is many times a day due to the need for constant restarts.

-------------

Lightroom version: CC 2015.1 [ 1025654 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 32704.9 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32704.9 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3926.0 MB (12.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3991.9 MB

Memory cache size: 4723.8 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1680x1050

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 353.62

Renderer: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: D:\lightroom-catalogs\lightroom-cc\photos-main-lr5\photos-main-lr5\photos-main-lr5-2.lrca t

Settings Folder: C:\Users\jeff\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) HDR Efex Pro 2

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

8) Perfect Resize 8

9) ShootProof

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : 1187

Subsystem : 984196e

Revision : a1

Video Memory : 1990

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

• 14. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                    dj_paige Level 9

You're computer seems to be powerful enough (more than enough).

What is the pixel dimensions of your monitor?

So, going back over the previous messages, just so I am 100% sure, you start a new LIghtroom session, you have turned off Face Recognition, you have turned off GPU acceleration, and you still experience this slowdown with radial filters and possibly other tools? When you experience this slowdown, are you working on images that have had previous spot healing or brushing even if it was in a previous Lightroom session, or are these images that have had NO spot healing and brushing, none in any Lightroom session?

• 15. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                      coSeed Level 1

two monitors as per specs listed above (1) 1920x1200, (2) 1680x1050

facial recognition and mobile syncing turned off.

GPU accel currently turned on.

i'll need to test more to distill the exact use cases for failure. seems to be both on new images as well as those that may have had some editing already, but i'd need to confirm that. and again, seems to start out ok, then degrades with use.

what is the "real memory used by lightroom" metric. i noticed that the used number is always much less than available. is that a snapshot of memory in use when the specs are pulled up? or do I need to allocate more of whats available to LR somehow?

• 16. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                        dj_paige Level 9

I'll need to test more to distill the exact use cases for failure. seems to be both on new images as well as those that may have had some editing already,

Not "some editing already" but previous brushing or spot healing (and normally this means LOTS of brushing and/or LOTS of spot healing)

• 17. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                          coSeed Level 1

gotcha. as a general rule, i really dont ever do LOTS of brushing. a lot of brushing in LR for me means 1-2 adjustment points and maybe 5-10% image coverage, if that. definitely not anything i would expect should stress the program.and almost no spot healing. if something needs lots of healing or local adjustments, i favor PS for that work so i can leverage masks and all the other additional control PS provides. in contrast, i do use radial filters in LR a lot.

• 18. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                            dj_paige Level 9

Give me an example, how many radial filters might you use on a typical photo? How many did you use on the photo that has the most radial filters that you ever used on one photo?

• 19. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                              coSeed Level 1

average is probably 3-5 or so. most ever maybe 10 or so.

• 20. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                                dj_paige Level 9

Well, I don't know the internal architecture of how radial filters work to actually wind up rendering an image, and I wouldn't think 3-5 ought to cause a problem, but this is easy enough to experiment with.

Take an unedited photo, apply the 3-5 radial filters and a bunch of other edits and see if there is a slowdown. If there is a slowdown, then RESET the image (click on the bottom step in history) so there are no developments applied to it. Perform the same other edits with no radial filters. Does it slow down, or not?

If it's the radial filters, this ought to be repeatable, on many images. If it's not the radial filters, then at least we have eliminated that as a possibility.

• 21. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                                  hhelmbold Level 1

I have to agree that Lightroom is getting worse in terms of performance. I run a fairly decent PC, Intel Core i7 Extreme CPU with 64GB RAM and SSD hard drives but Lightroom has serious issues!

The crop tool will jump all around the place... Switching between photos can take several seconds to load, what is the use of previews if Lightroom reloads the image everytime you switch to another file???

• 22. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                                    jaredkeillan

does anyone know any other programs out there that will work properly? sick of this sh!t

• 23. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                                      dj_paige Level 9

Maybe you could state your problem clearly, providing the necessary details such as: version NUMBER of Lightroom, operating system version, hardware, and a complete problem description.

does anyone know any other programs out there that will work properly?

Depending on who you talk to, there are no programs that work properly, or each program works properly.

• 24. Re: Lightroom performance Issues - lag builds over time
                                                        hhelmbold Level 1

This issue is still there after all the Lightroom updates. It is getting to a point where I have to re-consider if Lightroom is the tool to use in a production workflow. I work against the clock and have to get hundreds of photos out at events. Lightroom gets slower and slower and slower with each edit and the closer I get to a deadline, the more Lightroom lags!

This is totally unacceptable