4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 7:24 AM by jason102

Right side of placed images being cut off when exported to PDF

jason102 Level 1

Hi all,

I'm a beginner still trying to wrap my mind around InDesign and all its features, and have encountered a problem with exporting to PDF. The right-most 1-4 pixels are cut off! I think my problem may be related to what was discussed in this thread:

Indesign, Image problem with PDF export... right side cut-off...

But my issue has nothing to do with Visio. I'm simply placing PNG and JPG files that have already been created and are stored locally on my computer. I found that the only way to solve this is to add a few pixel columns of white/empty space to my images so the right side frame line in the images (created by Adobe Illustrator) appear.

Having to alter my images first before placing them in InDesign is obviously not the best or the correct solution.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this problem and how to correct it? Maybe there's a setting somewhere for image frames that needs to be adjusted?

• 1. Re: Right side of placed images being cut off when exported to PDF
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. What version do you use?
          2. What OS? Probably Windows, because you talk about Visio, but which version?
          3. Where do the graphic come from?
          4. Why did you choose that type of graphic format? Why PNG? PNG does not support colormanagement, at least not reliable for InDesign. JPG does not support transparency. If the files come from Photoshop use PSD or PDF/PDP, if teh files come from Illustrator use AI or PDF/X-4:2010.
          5. A screenshot in a readable size would be helpful.
          • 2. Re: Right side of placed images being cut off when exported to PDF
            jason102 Level 1

Hello again Willi,

1. I'm using CS6 Version 8.0

2. Umm... well, I'm VERY embarrassed to say Windows XP (my company is purchasing a new computer for me - I'm using what they have on hand at the moment...).

3. The graphics are coming from Adobe Illustrator installed on a separate Windows 7 computer. I have a graphic designer colleague who creates images for the installation manuals I put together.

4. Actually just this morning yet another colleague pointed out that PDF was the better format to use. Yet again I'm VERY embarrassed to say that I used to use Microsoft PowerPoint to create these manuals, and PowerPoint can't import PDF images. I'm trying hard to work with more professional software! That's why my colleague sent me PNG images.

5. Here's a screenshot below. Remember I'm the guy who asked you that user manuals question in the other thread.

screenshot.JPG

To explain: the first step's image is in PDF format. The image's border appears fine. The second step's image is in PNG format, and yes, not only does the quality appear to be poorer, but even worse is the fact that the right side border is cut off. This is the same for the same image in JPG format. The other steps don't have images - they're just empty image frames with strokes specified in InDesign.

Sure, we can use PDFs from now on, but still, the fact that other formats have this issue is bothersome. In Microsoft PowerPoint this wasn't an issue. Any idea?

• 3. Re: Right side of placed images being cut off when exported to PDF
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You say that the border is from the placed graphic? No, don't do that. Make the image as the image only, apply the border via the frame (and via Object style).

I don't know why the pixel raw is cut off, might be an error in the workflow or a bug, it should not happen, but you should not include it into the file anyway.

When files come from Illustrator, use AI or PDF/X-4, never any raster image like PNG, BMP or JPG. If this is printed, text and vector will be printed with the printers maximum resolution and quality, raster images cannot be better than the resolution of the image. PNG also supports only RGB and it will not print so fine, as it would be a CMYK graphic with clear black.

• 4. Re: Right side of placed images being cut off when exported to PDF
                jason102 Level 1

Hi Willi,

Ok, then that's what we'll do - AI or PDF images. I'll try to get a more modern version of the software installed with my new computer when it finally arrives, and maybe that will solve the problem if it is some kind of bug or Windows XP issue!

Thanks again!