5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 2:30 PM by A.T. Romano

How can I add a text field to the main menu?

Rickster213 Level 1

I have a project with a menu.  It has a title.  I wanted to add an additional title to the menu, which I had done in an earlier project.  I would have thought it would have been intuitively obvious, such as highlighting the existing title I have and doing a copy and paste.  However, I have learned that nothing is intuitive with Premiere Elements 12.  Can someone tell me how to get a 2nd title on my main menu?  I did it before but apparently didn't write it down and I have been struggling with what I falsely assumed would take me 30 seconds to accomplish.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: How can I add a text field to the main menu?
          Rickster213 Level 1

On a related question, on my project from last year that had the menu I liked with 2 text fields, I also got rid of the little "arrow" before the text that was the menu button.  Anyone know how I did that?  I can't figure that out now either.

• 2. Re: How can I add a text field to the main menu?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Rick

Do you actually need a second Title for the main menu page and scene selection page or will you settle for your Adobe title in more than one line?

I would question

I wanted to add an additional title to the menu, which I had done in an earlier project.

Is it possible that earlier you were using a theme which came with "subtitle", such as Travel/Beach Resort, not all do.

Subtitle.JPG

Workaround of title with more than one line of text can backfire on you. But, you could try. Excerpt from my Premiere Elements 13 blog on this

0019. Premiere Elements 13 Movie Menu Title Issue: More Than One Line of Text

A Premiere Elements 13/13.1 user reports that, if he creates a 3 lines of text title for Faux Widescreen theme's main menu in the Movie Maker customization area of the project, those 3 lines of text end up "scrambled" in the reopened project after it had been saved closed.

We have confirmed this report and extended it to include that this issue appears for 13's Movie Menus other than Faux Widescreen. This issue is not seen in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and earlier versions.

BEFORE THE SAVE CLOSE REOPEN

Figure 1. Spring Flower Main Menu Originally With 3 Lines Of Text As Seen Before The Save Close Reopen

AFTER THE SAVE CLOSE REOPEN

Figure 2. Spring Flower Main Menu Title Originally With 3 Lines Of Text As Seen After The Save Close Reopen

The only way found so far to get the end product to have the 3 lines of text title for the menus in the end product is to customize the Movie Menu theme in the Movie Menu customization area of the project, do not save close the project at that point, and then do the burn to.

Many variables have been looked at to explain this behavior. So far no answer for why.

If you are determined to use a particular theme that comes with menu Title and subtitle, consider editing Text Layer Set of the Layers Palette of the menu's .psd file (.psd editor could be Photoshop CS or higher).

With regard to

on my project from last year that had the menu I liked with 2 text fields, I also got rid of the little "arrow" before the text that was the menu button.  Anyone know how I did that?  I can't figure that out now either. 

Could you be more specific. But, for now, consider....if you had the text Play All, you double click on it to open the Change Text, deleted the text, click OK. The Play All is gone. Sometimes, in scene selection page and removal of "main menu" text for navigation button...double click on button to open Change Text, delete text, hit Enter, then Spacebar, then OK.

Please let us know if any of the above targeted what you wanted to know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How can I add a text field to the main menu?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rick

Add On...if you need to know the detailed how to edit the theme's .psd file to add the subtitle to a theme that does not have one, please let me know, and I will post the details.

I overlooked you were using version 12 when I went into details on the menu text scrambling in 13 when more than one line of text is tried for a single title. I do not believe that scrambling applies to 12, so you may be OK if you want to go for multiple lines of text for a single title as your workaround.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I add a text field to the main menu?
                Rickster213 Level 1

Your comment about the theme I used got me thinking.  I thought I had used Faux Widescreen, but I wasn't sure.  However, I chose that.  But I just went into Menu Themes and saw Pan and Zoom, which had a title and a subtitle, so I switchedt.  That gave me a 2nd title, AND the Play Movie did not have the little arrow I didn't want. 

Then I deleted the menu markers I had manually created on the timeline (since they automatically created a "scene" menu I didn't want), and that got rid of the scene menu.  Then I recreated the main menu markers I had so that everything is now as I wanted - just one menu screen, two text fields, and no play arrows by the button text fields.  (I had added my own background.)  So thanks for the suggestion that I may have used a different theme on my earlier project. 

I'm good with what I have now.  A follow up question, though, is whether there is some indication of what theme I had started out with?  Had I known that from the start, I could have saved myself some grief.  (Although I have made note of the menu theme I used this time for future reference.)

Thanks again for your help.

Rick

• 5. Re: How can I add a text field to the main menu?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rick

Glad to learn that you have gotten your menu situation as wanted. Great job.

Not sure how to answer.

A follow up question, though, is whether there is some indication of what theme I had started out with?  Had I known that from the start, I could have saved myself some grief.  (Although I have made note of the menu theme I used this time for future reference.)

I have not found a last used feature for those Movie Menu themes.

If you open a saved closed project that was closed containing a movie menu, then, when you open the project and go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu in the workspace, the Movie Menu customization area should open to the Movie Menu theme that was there when the project was closed. Once you hit reset, then prior menu information is gone.

Did you know that Timeline unnumbered markers can be placed and opened to a comments page. Before you save close the project, you could make project notes in that comment area of one those unnumbered markers placed on a special place on the Timeline.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Forget Me Not Clip Details and Timeline Unnumbered Markers

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR