10 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 10:45 PM by KiLLeRRaT

HDR Photo Merge deghosting

bitm07 Level 1

When using Lightroom's HDR Photo Merge, is there any way of zooming in to 100%, to view the effect that deghosting is having on the HDR image ?.

• 1. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
          bitm07 Level 1

No response.  I assume that viewing at 100%, is not possible.

• 2. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can drag a corner of the HDR Merge Preview window to make it larger, but it's only about 1:4 view size. Deghosting is used to de-blur or remove an object that moves or appears in only one or more frames. Other than for that purpose you won't see a difference in the image with any Deghost Amount setting. I would however suggest keeping 'Auto Align' checked for all HDR shots as it doesn't seem to increase the processing time.Even when using a tripod slight image alignment differences can occur, such as when making manual camera exposure setting changes.

• 3. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
              bitm07 Level 1

trshaner wrote:

You can drag a corner of the HDR Merge Preview window to make it larger, but it's only about 1:4 view size. Deghosting is used to de-blur or remove an object that moves or appears in only one or more frames. Other than for that purpose you won't see a difference in the image with any Deghost Amount setting. I would however suggest keeping 'Auto Align' checked for all HDR shots as it doesn't seem to increase the processing time.Even when using a tripod slight image alignment differences can occur, such as when making manual camera exposure setting changes.

Thanks for the replay.  You can also get that size by left clicking on the image, the problem is it's not magnified enough to view the jagged edges on clouds, that have moved during the exposure.  Deghost does a good job of removing them, but the only way to access the best deghost option, is to click merge and view the results in the final images.  This is time consuming on a 3 year old PC.  Hopefully Adobe will address this in a dot release.

• 4. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
                ColdForest Level 1
                Thanks for the replay.  You can also get that size by left clicking on the image, the problem is it's not magnified enough to view the jagged edges on clouds, that have moved during the exposure.  Deghost does a good job of removing them, but the only way to access the best deghost option, is to click merge and view the results in the final images.  This is time consuming on a 3 year old PC.  Hopefully Adobe will address this in a dot release.

Slightly different issue, but wondered if you might have feedback on a ghosting issue I'm seeing. I thought I'd quickly experiment with HDR merge as a way to remove ghosts as opposed to directly creating an HDR composite. That is, all exposures (I tried the merge with two and also three exposures) were identical (focus, ISO, ap, speed) and I was hoping that the merged result would simply remove the couple obvious ghosts (two people in completely different areas of the frame and then also slightly moving clouds). However, none of the de-ghosting options were able to completely eliminate these ghosts.

BTW, stacking the images in PS seemed to do a better job (also playing around with the smart object's stack mode). Is there something I'm missing (or should be sensitive to) wrt using HDR merge to remove ghosting? Is this an issue with the ghosted portions not have enough contrast to ensure the blended result performs the proper masking?

• 5. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting

PS HDR Pro has these Zoom settings, but the actual preview size appears about the same as in LR's Merge to HDR:

The 200% setting simply upscales the smaller image (i.e. jaggies and softening), but it's probably useful for determining the best Deghost setting. You can create a "feature request" using 'Share an Idea' here: Photoshop Family Customer Community I suggest posting a link in the request back to this thread. Also post the feature request link here so other users who land here can add their +1 vote.

• 6. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
                    bitm07 Level 1

ColdForest wrote:

Slightly different issue, but wondered if you might have feedback on a ghosting issue I'm seeing. I thought I'd quickly experiment with HDR merge as a way to remove ghosts as opposed to directly creating an HDR composite. That is, all exposures (I tried the merge with two and also three exposures) were identical (focus, ISO, ap, speed) and I was hoping that the merged result would simply remove the couple obvious ghosts (two people in completely different areas of the frame and then also slightly moving clouds). However, none of the de-ghosting options were able to completely eliminate these ghosts.

Hopefully future versions of Lightroom's Photo Merge will include a selective de-ghosting option (brush).  If Lightroom's other feature's are anything to go by, it will evolved into a much more sophisticated tool, in time.

• 7. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
                      ColdForest Level 1

bitm07 wrote:

Hopefully future versions of Lightroom's Photo Merge will include a selective de-ghosting option (brush).  If Lightroom's other feature's are anything to go by, it will evolved into a much more sophisticated tool, in time.

Ya, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one...

• 8. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
                        bitm07 Level 1

bitm07 wrote:

ColdForest wrote:

Lightroom's Photo Merge HDR, does a great job at increasing the dynamic range of an image, but your not alone in wanting more.  As a landscape photographer,  I day dreamed, that it would seamlessly combine an image exposed for the sky, with one exposed for the land.  What you get is, an exposure that is halfway between the two, with better dynamic range.  The up side is that the image has cleaner shadows, so it will still be a tool that I'll use for high contrast scenes, on a regular basis.  Which is what it's intended for.

• 9. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting

ColdForest wrote:

If the images are all same exposure (i.e. identical) I'm surprised the LR Merge to HDR didn't fail with an error message. I just tried LR Mege to HDR with three copies of the same file renamed (1, 2, 3) and there was no error message! Clearly it's failing to deghost the "same exposure" image files, but it's not telling you either!

I just tested PS HDR Pro with the three "same exposure" images and got this popup. Unless you assign a different EV to each image the OK button is disabled. LR Merge to HDR is simply playing dumb and goes right ahead and then does nothing!

PS image stacks with layer masks is what you need to deghost these image files. I doubt this can be done fully "automatically." There has to be human intervention to decide what's a ghost and what's not.

• 10. Re: HDR Photo Merge deghosting
                            KiLLeRRaT Level 1

Hi There,

I'm on a Mac with a trackpad and I can use pinch to zoom in and out.  I just discovered this by mistake after viewing this post.

May try to use a wheel of the mouse if you use a mouse...?

It would be good if they just had a little navigator on the side...