8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 3:21 AM by Coenrad

LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc

Coenrad

I am a Adobe cc subscriber but have had Lightroom as a standalone perpetual licence product since LR3. I purchased the LR5 - LR 6 upgrade and got a serial. When I install, it does not ask me for the serial and installs as LR cc WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT, no matter what I try, I cannot simply get LR to install as LR6 as apposed to cc.

I have the option for cc via my cc subscription, I intentionally chose the LR6 upgrade in order to have my Catalog secured against issues related to my cc account, I paid for it but cannot get LR6 no matter what I do. Is there perhaps another install package I should have access to other than the one listed on my account?

• 1. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't run LR CC 2015 and LR6 on the same machine; it's one or the other. You could install LR6 on a separate computer. Otherwise ask Adobe for a refund for LR6.

• 2. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
            Coenrad Level 1

Hi, I am not trying to run both LRcc and LR6, I am trying to install LR6 and NOT have it install as cc, during the install I am not asked for serials as you are forced to log in to your Adobe account, at which point the install continues and ends up as CC, not the LR6 I was installing. I have upgraded and installed updates until now with no issues to my standalone install. Its only LR6 which insists on adding itself as a cc version even though it was paid for as a perpetual license.

I have been online with Adobe support for almost 2 hours now, and they cannot at this point install LR6 as a standalone, it now seems I need to trash Creative Cloud App and then uninstall LR and then reinstall it. problem is, you can't uninstall CC without trashing all the apps you installed.

THIS IS A NEW PROBLEM, I did not have it moving from LR4 - 5 or any subsequent LR5 Update, my cc apps ( NOT LIGHTROOM ) ran fine, as did Lightroom on its own.

• 3. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
              Bob_Peters Level 3

Coenrad wrote:

I am a Adobe cc subscriber but have had Lightroom as a standalone perpetual licence product since LR3. I purchased the LR5 - LR 6 upgrade and got a serial. When I install, it does not ask me for the serial and installs as LR cc WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT, no matter what I try, I cannot simply get LR to install as LR6 as apposed to cc.

I have the option for cc via my cc subscription, I intentionally chose the LR6 upgrade in order to have my Catalog secured against issues related to my cc account, I paid for it but cannot get LR6 no matter what I do. Is there perhaps another install package I should have access to other than the one listed on my account?

You can have Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6 operational on the same computer but not at the same time.  Here is what I had to do.

(0)  Have your Lightroom 6 upgrade and Lightroom 5 serial numbers available for future use.

(1)  Create a secondary Adobe account which has nothing to do with the Creative Cloud.

(2)  Open a chat session with Adobe Support.

(3)  As soon as someone is on the line tell them you need to be connected with a Technical Support person.  Insist on it!

(4)  Once the Technical Support person is connected tell them you want to transfer Lightroom 5 and your Lightroom 6 upgrade from your primary account to your secondary account.

(5)  Follow his directions regarding logging out of the Creative Cloud account and into the secondary account.

This works but it is a PITA!

Speculation:  Since I still cannot find anything on either of my computers (late 2013 MacPro and MacBook Pro retina, both running OS X 10.9.5) tied to Lightroom 6 I think there is actually only one version of Lightroom which gets downloaded:  Lightroom CC.  If you are logged into an account which is tied to the Creative Cloud then you have full access to Lightroom CC.  Otherwise, you will see Lightroom 6 in the banner and that is the version you will be using.

• 4. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
                Coenrad Level 1

After about 3.5 hours talking to Adobe support, the final is as follows.

You can not opt LR6 as a standalone product if you are a cc customer, despite this having worked fine only days ago with LR5 perpetual license and cc in combination, this is because the install accesses your adobe ID, if your a cc subscriber, you can not install LR6 as a standalone product, it wont let you.

The only other option you have is to create a second ID, using another email address.........but this could be an issue with 2 different ID's active on one machine.....so fake it until you make it wont work either.

Bottom line, there is no perpetual license option any longer for a cc subscriber, even on another machine, the ID is what dictates what and how an install plays out.

SO, WHY OFFER A PRODUCT, TAKE MONEY FOR IT, KNOWING ITS NOT GOING TO BE PERPETUAL?

• 5. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
                  Coenrad Level 1

Wow Bob, major pain for something that worked fine seconds before I "upgraded" . I appreciate the detailed response but resent that I have to jump through so many hoops to do something which should be simple, like it always has been,

I am hoping that this is just a glitch and trying not to go down the Adobe conspiracy route but honestly, this is ridiculous and wrong.

I posted the emailed transcripts from the support calls, which have been deemed to be unacceptable, or rejected by the moderators, why the censorship?

I came here not for justice,I came her for help, I enjoy cc and Lightoom but want what I was offered and paid for, something that worked one version ago, I did not run to some blog post, I came here in the hopes of a solution, which requires the information, which is now moderated away, despite Adobe support being the source of the information?

Does Adobe proper ever bother to read these?

• 6. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You CAN have Lightroom 6 installed on the same computer where you have a creative cloud installation as well. But it isn't straightforward. You have to create a second Adobe account and password and use it to install and activate Lightroom 6. It's a stupid way to have to do things, in my opinion but it can be done. Here are the instructions:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Serialize Lightroom CC trial to activate as Lightroom 6

• 7. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
                      Coenrad Level 1

Bob had it right also, another variant of the above but messy as either non the less, several steps to do what needed nothing 1 version back.

I just had a chat to someone who told me to look at it this way.

1. I can't have cc installed and use LR6 as a standalone like I did a week ago with LR5 and cc.
                      2. Buying the serial equates to insurance, should I bail out of cc or have financial trouble and get cut off, I can use the serial then and LR6 will work.

Or, I can do what you and Bob have suggested, still messy. Sad considering that things worked fine just one week ago, no drama, no second ID's.

Thanks Bob, Jim, seems its either down and dirty or cc.

• 8. Re: LR5 - LR6 Upgrade installing as LRcc
                        Coenrad Level 1

Hi ,

LR6.png

I followed the instructions from Jim Hess and I now have LR6, it even states that it is LR6 ( previously it announced itself as LR cc after trying to upgrade. Despite many telling me that LR6 and LRcc don't look any different, they do, in terms of identifying the version, so Jim, Bob,Benjamin; THANK YOU.

Here is a useful link to a video about this issue and what one needs to do and think about, it will save you hours of pain and developing tourette syndrome.

TheFIX 011 - How to Upgrade to Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6 with David Marx and Jan Kabili - YouTube