4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 3:46 PM by Just Shoot Me

LR cc does not save files in Original Folder - various folder issues

nantucketbob Level 1

the LR cc application is in my Windows 7 C: drive, a 256 MB Solid State Drive.  I keep all my images on a 1T Hard drive, "My Pictures."  I convert raw CR2 files to DNG files using the Adobe DNG converter, and store them in a labeled folder in My Pictures (on the 1T hard drive).  I then make jpegs from the DNG image files, often with lots of "development" (adjustments.)  When I save them, I export them to the "Same Folder As Original."  BUT, they are always exported to an entirely new folder located on my C: Drive, my SSD.  This error started happening recently; I have used lightroom for several years and never had this issue.  In addition, it seems to make a copy of my DNG files in the same folder, and those files seem to be different from my originals.  (I think lightroom keeps track of the adjustments somehow, without using sidecar files.  I don't know how that works.  I got an error message when I tried to use one of the DNG files after I deleted them from the C: drive.

What's going on?  I tried looking at Preferences but did not find a relevant topic. 

• 1. Re: LR cc does not save files in Original Folder - various folder issues
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What folder on the C drive do they get saved to? Is it also called My Pictures? If you created that My Pictures folder on your 1TB drive you used a poor name. The My Pictures entry is kind of reserved by Windows.

• 2. Re: LR cc does not save files in Original Folder - various folder issues
            dj_paige Level 9

Okay, so let me ask a very basic question, because I'm not sitting at your computer.

Are the DNG photos that show this problem located on your C: drive? Go into Lightroom, and right-click on one of these problem DNG photos, and select "Show in Expolorer". Does a folder on the C: drive appear? Yes or No? (Note: don't tell me that you went into your operating system and found the photos on your 1T hard drive, that is irrelevant to my question, that is a waste of both of our time)

• 3. Re: LR cc does not save files in Original Folder - various folder issues
              nantucketbob Level 1

Problem solved.  At the top of the import window, the "Select a Source: " bar includes four options:  Copy as DNG, Copy, Move, Add.  I had selected Copy as DNG.  Now I know what that means.  Lightroom copies the DNG files, puts them into a folder on the C: drive  and sets the default folder to that location.  I changed my selection to "Add" and the problem has been solved.

That particular menu bar is badly designed.  I would have moved the "Select a source" to the right, and put Add first.  I would assume that is what most people would want to do.

In any case, this has been a frustrating way to learn the ins and outs of Lightroom CC.

I appreciate all those who replied.  thank you.

• 4. Re: LR cc does not save files in Original Folder - various folder issues
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I have to say that menu bar has been the same for many, if not all, versions of LR. It also give you a description of what each option does, IIRC.

You have all the options you need, "Copy as DNG" (What that does is take whatever file extension you are using, even a DNG file, and converts it to a DNG, Yes even if the original is a DNG), "Copy" (I hope you know what that does. COPIES the files from the original location to another location of your choosing), "Move" (MOVES the file/files from the original location and places it/them in a folder of your choosing) all the above also put the images in the LR database and last but not least Add (All that does is add the images to your Lightroom database).

I always use the ADD option as I copy my images off the memory card to a folder or folders of my choosing first.