16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2007 12:26 PM by Shandy Elliott

type text along path?

JayCeeBE
      Hey,

I'm looking for a way to set a path as a guide for my text. The text should follow the shape of the path (not move but just the placement of the letters).
      The problem is that i can't have the text broken apart and animate my letters seperatly because i have a lot of text that will dynamicly change for every picture.

Don't know if this is possible.

greetz
        • 1. Re: type text along path?
          Shandy Elliott Level 1
          If you have Photoshop CS2, you can create text along a path and then convert the text to a shape then export as EPS and import into Flash then discard all the extra stuff that's imported with it - but this is a little cumbersome. But then this text won't be dynamic, so I doubt that would even be an option. You can't use the envelope function in Flash unless they are shapes. I'm sure there is a better solution to what you want. Can you show something visually pertaining to what you want?
          • 2. Re: type text along path?
            JayCeeBE Level 1
            through photoshop isn't an option because i have about 300lines of text ;-)
            Can't upload any files right now. Basicly all i want is to have a path wich is used as a guide for my dynamic text. I don't want the text to move over the path i just want the virtual line where the letters are written upon to take the shape of my path.

I hope this helps you to understand.

greetings
            • 3. Re: type text along path?
              Shandy Elliott Level 1
              No, I'm even more confused. Upload an example when you can.
              • 4. Re: type text along path?
                JayCeeBE Level 1
                I want my text to look something simular to this i doesn't have to move just take the shape of the path.
                • 5. Re: type text along path?
                  Shandy Elliott Level 1
                  Again, Photoshop CS2 can do this. I'm not about other programs, but if you don't have access to PSCS2, then I'm not sure how you can do this. Why does this text need to be dynamic?

If you want something similar to that graphic, just break apart your text and align however. I think you are looking for a simple solution and there really isn't any (that I know of).
                  • 6. Re: type text along path?
                    JayCeeBE Level 1
                    I know it can , but i don't like production work. I'm not gonna break apart 300 lines of text , set their sizes and shapes and then have to try to set them to their correct posittion in flash for a couple of days, when something goes wrong or a price changes go back to photoshop to change it... That's way to much hassle.
                    • 7. Re: type text along path?
                      Shandy Elliott Level 1
                      I guess I would have to see your actual example to see how you are trying to implement what you are talking about.
                      • 8. Re: type text along path?
                        JayCeeBE Level 1
                        i just want to make my text look like this example. But the text needs to come from a xml file wich is updated on a regular basis. I do not want to do any manual operation when i update the xml. None what so ever.

This means i would draw my path in flash, save it as a movieclip. set that path as a sort off guide (not a motion guide, no movement is requierd) for my textfield (<=this part i don't know how to do, i already did the rest) , parse my xml text. and then set that text in the textfield...
                        • 9. Re: type text along path?
                          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          you must use the flash string methods to assign each letter of each line of text to a separate textfield and then align the textfields (for each) line along your path.

that can all be scripted.

p.s. you'll also need to embed your font if you want your letters rotated as shown in your example.
                          • 10. Re: type text along path?
                            JayCeeBE Level 1
                            i was thinking in the same direction and it all shouldn't be a problem except i don't know how to set a path as a guid in actionscript. And then i would also need to find a way to rotate the seperate letters in a way that they follow the path a bit.

If anybody can help me with those 2 problems i would be gratefull.

greetz
                            • 11. Re: type text along path?
                              Shandy Elliott Level 1
                              I think what you are asking is just not easily possible. If you don't want to do production work, then I don't know what to you tell you. You are asking for features in Flash that just aren't there. There is no "text along a path" in Flash. What you want is not just a click here and a click there to produce. As kglad was saying, you can have Flash pull data from the XML, use the string function to split up all the letters in the word phrase(s), populate some empty movie clips with individual letters, but even if you got that far, you would STILL have to pre-align your empty movie clips along a path (DEFINED BY YOU) in Flash. You CAN create a path line in Flash with the pen tool and then align the empty movie clips along that, but that might be too much production work for you.
                              • 12. Re: type text along path?
                                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                to use actionscript to do this you must have a way to designate the path of your text lines as a parametric equation that will designate the _x and _y properties of your textfield.

and you'll need some way to designate or calculate the rotation of your textfields.

this is certainly doable for paths that are regular geometric figures, but is not a beginning flash project even for the simplest path along a square, for example.
                                • 13. Re: type text along path?
                                  NSurveyor Level 2
                                  Check out: http://www.peterjoel.com/Samples/ under Text effects > text on a path
                                  • 14. Re: type text along path?
                                    JayCeeBE Level 1
                                    Shan-Dysigns...indeed that is too much production work for me :-)

wow that example looks pretty sweet. But i checked out the code and there is an incredible amount off data to be changed. even for just 1 word. This would mean even more work then when i would just use illustrator and then import them.

Apparently their is no easy solution for this. I was suprised that a (basic)function like that isn't available in flash. I'll just have the design changed.

Thx to all you guys trying to help me out!
                                    • 15. Re: type text along path?
                                      KOunapuu
                                      Hopefully text-on-path will be a new feature in Flash 9.

Obviously we would all want it dynamic in Flash to be able to ANIMATE text on a path.

Simply suggesting "Just do it in Photoshop" doesn't make any sense especially if you want to animate or update the text-on-path.

All of you guys should check out Illustrator to see how text-on-path should really be done. Hopefully this will integrate in the next version, since Adobe owns everything now.
                                      • 16. Re: type text along path?
                                        Shandy Elliott Level 1
                                        quote:

Simply suggesting "Just do it in Photoshop" doesn't make any sense especially if you want to animate or update the text-on-path.
                                        If you would have read the post correctly, you would have seen that they never wanted the text to be animated. Your comments come over a week after the post was finished and really didn't offer any advise.