5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 11:27 AM by Jeffrey_Ross

If your Lightroom 6 is crashing in the Slideshow module, check the SAMPLE RATE of your music track

jonz75803620 Level 1

After spending over 2 hours with an Adobe technician who had control over my Windows 7 machine, I've learned something that I don't think Adobe knows yet...  I upgraded from LR 5.7 to LR 6 (not CC) and began having issues when I was working in the Slideshow module.  When trying to add a music track, Lightroom would crash ("unexpectedly quit").  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.  I turned off the GPU since a fair amount of chatter on the forum related to that, but it didn't change anything.

So I finally waited patiently for the Adobe Chat line to finally get a tech to respond...and he was exceptionally detailed and methodical in his approach to diagnosing my issues.  I could follow on my screen as he did a variety of things that indicated he understood what he was doing.  Unfortunately he got to a point where he thought (as did I) that he had found the problem/solution...which he thought was related to the bit rate.  He concluded that music with a Variable Bit Rate (VBR) as opposed to a Constant Bit Rate (CBR) was causing the problem.  Also unfortunate was that this "discovery" was near the 2-1/2 hour mark and we did not apply the scientific method to property determine if we had narrowed down to cause/effect.

Based on my further analysis, he was close, but not right on.  It isn't the BIT rate mode that is causing the crash, but rather the SAMPLE rate.  Turns out that the vast majority of songs in my iTunes library have a sample rate of 44.100 kHz--and those work just fine.  However, I have about 15 songs, mostly downloaded as free background music from the YouTube creation library, that have a sample rate of 48.000 kHz--every single one of those cause my LR6 to crash.

If you're having a problem with Lightroom crashing in the Slideshow module, check the SAMPLE RATE of your music track.