4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 7:45 PM by JimHess

Please tell me what I need to get Lightroom 4 to read my Nikon 810 raw files.  Have downloaded all versions from 8.6 to 9.  Photoshop 6 has no problems reading these files

Cocoparra

Can anyone tell me how to get Lightroom 4 to read my Nikon 810 raw files Have downloaded 8.6, 8,7, 8.8, and 9 raw converter files and none will work.

• 1. Re: Please tell me what I need to get Lightroom 4 to read my Nikon 810 raw files.  Have downloaded all versions from 8.6 to 9.  Photoshop 6 has no problems reading these files
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I presume you're talking about the DNG converter. Take note that the DNG converter works at the FOLDER level. You choose the folder in the DNG converter, but don't open the folder. Then the DNG converter will convert all the images contained within the folder you have chosen.

You can streamline this process somewhat by using the DNG converter as your download software. Choose the folder on the card that contains the images. Choose a destination folder, and then let the DNG converter do its job as the images are downloaded.

If this doesn't answer your question, please clarify what problems you are encountering including any error messages.

• 2. Re: Please tell me what I need to get Lightroom 4 to read my Nikon 810 raw files.  Have downloaded all versions from 8.6 to 9.  Photoshop 6 has no problems reading these files
            Cocoparra Level 1

I am not very savey with this or what you mean.  Yes I do mean a DNG converter. My operating system is Yosemite 10.10.2.  The DNG converter is sitting in the Apps folder and also in the Launch pad.  Lightroom will read the raw files when they are on the camera card if I open it first but will not read the files I have stored on my hard drive.  If I move from the card to the hard disk and then back to the card it then will not read the card.  I do not get any error messages other than on the icons other than Preview not available for this file.  If I try to import them it says The files are not recognised by the raw file support in Lightroom. (77)  The DNG converter in the launch pad will convert the files to dng files but the colour in them is dull and not like that of the raw files and I really  do not want to convert them to dng files.

• 3. Re: Please tell me what I need to get Lightroom 4 to read my Nikon 810 raw files.  Have downloaded all versions from 8.6 to 9.  Photoshop 6 has no problems reading these files
              Cocoparra Level 1

I am not very savey with this or what you mean.  Yes I do mean a DNG converter. My operating system is Yosemite 10.10.2.  The DNG converter is sitting in the Apps folder and also in the Launch pad.  Lightroom will read the raw files when they are on the camera card if I open it first but will not read the files I have stored on my hard drive.  If I move from the card to the hard disk and then back to the card it then will not read the card.  I do not get any error messages other than on the icons other than Preview not available for this file.  If I try to import them it says The files are not recognised by the raw file support in Lightroom. (77)  The DNG converter in the launch pad will convert the files to dng files but the colour in them is dull and not like that of the raw files and I really  do not want to convert them to dng files. 

Sorry not used these forums before and not adding things the right way

• 4. Re: Please tell me what I need to get Lightroom 4 to read my Nikon 810 raw files.  Have downloaded all versions from 8.6 to 9.  Photoshop 6 has no problems reading these files
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't seen the raw image data until you look at the DNG files in Lightroom. The DNG file contains precisely the same raw data that was in the NEF file. The image that you see on your camera is the JPEG preview that is built into the NEF file. And the JPEG preview is affected by all of the in camera settings. And those settings COULD include Active D-lighting, sharpening, style settings, Expeed processing, etc. And none of those settings are going to be picked up by Lightroom.

It's natural and expected that the raw image data won't appear to be as good as what you saw on the camera display. But you can make adjustments to get the images looking even better than what the camera displayed. And that is what shooting raw is all about. If you read in your manual it will indicate that shooting raw produces an image that must be processed. And that is what you do in Lightroom. If you find a set of adjustments that you make consistently to all of your images you can make those adjustments on a newly imported image and then save new camera defaults. Then those settings will be applied to all images that are imported from that point onward. And will be applied to any already imported images when you click on the reset button in the develop module.