5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 10:34 AM by bitm07

Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?

bitm07 Level 1

Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?

The new features have generally met mind, although the new Photo Merge HDR and Panorama features, are rather basis.  I find being unable to view Photo Merge HDR's deghosting at 100%, prior to merging, a major issue.

• 1. Re: Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?
          bitm07 Level 1

When using Photo Merge HDR, I got the area message "Unable to merge the photo, please cancel and review your selection".  Sure enough, the images didn't match, however when I selected the correct images, the error message remained on screen and continued to be displayed (at all times), until I quit out of Lightroom and restated. 

I've tried to replicate the situation, and the error didn't occur, it appears to be an intermittent glitch in the software.

• 2. Re: Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?
            andrewfreeman Level 3

Yes and no.

I love the new merge features, but they are buggy and I wholly agree with your comments about not being able to preview at 100% being annoying.

I've also seen issues with the "unable to merge errors", the odd thing being it appears, but a few seconds later I get a merged photo, so not sure what's going on.

I'm very happy with the quality of the final images. Also creating a merged DNG is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned.

GPU acceleration does make things a bit smoother.

In all I think it's well worth the £60 upgrade, and definitely will be when the bugs are ironed out. I just think it's a shame they didn't release this as a beta first.

• 3. Re: Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?
              HippieBoy Chris Level 1

So far the only problem I've had with LR6 is that it's not backward compatible. I upgraded, but now I can't share catalogs with my editing team as they're all still using LR5. I can't find any way to save a catalog "down" to LR5, nor can my editors find a way to open my LR6 catalogs. Had I known that, I'd have held off on upgrading until we were all ready to move to LR6.

• 4. Re: Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?
                bitm07 Level 1

andrewfreeman wrote:

Yes and no.

I love the new merge features, but they are buggy and I wholly agree with your comments about not being able to preview at 100% being annoying.

I've also seen issues with the "unable to merge errors", the odd thing being it appears, but a few seconds later I get a merged photo, so not sure what's going on.

I'm very happy with the quality of the final images. Also creating a merged DNG is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned.

GPU acceleration does make things a bit smoother.

In all I think it's well worth the £60 upgrade, and definitely will be when the bugs are ironed out. I just think it's a shame they didn't release this as a beta first.

I've just downloaded Lightroom 6.0.1, it fixes the crash on launch and Lightroom help bug's, but there's no mention of the merge feature bugs we've encountered.

For the time being, i'm treating it like a Beta, and only using the Photo Merge features that arn't in LR5.

I've just finished processing eight images, that were captured at sunrise yesterday.  Four of them only required processing in Lightroom's develope mode, two were processed in Photo Merge HDR and I obtained superior result by processing the other two in PhotoMatix (these had the highest contrast levels).  So it's still a horses for courses, situation for me.

• 5. Re: Has Lightroom 6 / Lighroom CC, met your expectations ?
                  bitm07 Level 1

HippieBoy Chris wrote:

So far the only problem I've had with LR6 is that it's not backward compatible. I upgraded, but now I can't share catalogs with my editing team as they're all still using LR5. I can't find any way to save a catalog "down" to LR5, nor can my editors find a way to open my LR6 catalogs. Had I known that, I'd have held off on upgrading until we were all ready to move to LR6.

Yes, backward compatibility is problem for me as well. I havn't found a solution to sharing catelogue's between LR5 and LR6 either, has anybody ?.