8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 11:42 AM by A.T. Romano

Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...

AndyD74

Hello all, this is my first Premiere Elements software since 1.0 lol.  Anyway, before I render a video it plays nice and smooth.  After I render it, the video playback freezes while the audio continues to play.  How do I fix this?  I have an i7-410U 2 Ghz CPU, an Nvidia GeForce 840M 2 GB video card, 8 GB of memory, 900 GB of free space on my HDD, and Windows 8.1.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AndyD74

I am assuming that your reference to rendering is Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview at playback in the Edit area and not rendering as in export to file saved to the computer hard drive followed by playback with a computer player.

1. What have you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset for this project? If you do not know, please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio found Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

2. What are the properties of the source media on the Timeline? Brand/Model/Settings for the camera that recorded the video would give us that type of information. What is the size and complexity of the project when you encounter the video playback problems.

3. The usual drill questions...

a. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

b. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed, and are you running the programs as administrator?

c. Are you confirming that what you are viewing has a green line over its content at playback time in Edit area?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
            AndyD74 Level 1

Yes, I am playing back the rendered video in the timeline edit mode.

My video starts off with a custom made intro that I created in Aurora3d Title Animation.  It is saved as .mp4.  The rest of the video was filmed with a Canon RF H62 camcorder as AVCHD 1920 x 1080p.  The video files are .mts. 

Editing Mode is HD 1080i, Timebase is 29.97 fps, Frame Size is 1920 x 1080, Pixel Aspect Ration is 1.0.

The video freezes at different points during playback.  Sometimes it freezes at the beginning, sometimes a few seconds into it.  The video is a total of 30' 32".

Graphics Card is up to date.  Quicktime is up to date.  I am NOT running the program as Administrator, but I will try that and see if it helps.  Yes, there is a green line over the entirety of the video. 

• 3. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
              AndyD74 Level 1

I just ran it as administrator and the timeline is showing that a portion of it is NOT rendered...so I am rendering it now.  I will reply back when I have finished and tell you the results of playback on the timeline in edit mode. 

• 4. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
                AndyD74 Level 1

The fully rendered video still freezes upon playback in the timeline edit mode.  It freezes at 10 seconds in and it happens consistently at that point.  Sometimes when I move the timeline cursor thing around, the video doesn't play at all, but the sound does.  It worked fine before I rendered it.   

• 5. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AndyD74

Thanks for the follow up replies.

Your Edit Menu/Project Settings/General readings suggest that you or the project have not set the correct project preset for the project. If the Canon is the major source of your Timeline content, then the project should not be 1080i (the project's default). It should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

You are going to have to go to a new project to correct that situation. You cannot change the project preset in 13/13.1 once the project preset has been established.

If the project (automatically) is not giving you the correct project preset, then you need to set it yourself (manually) before you import the source media.

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set for the project preset mentioned above. OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog that appears, rename the project and make sure there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

Then in the workspace, import your source media with Add Media/

Another factor is the custom made intro that I created in Aurora3d Title Animation. What are its properties and how do they compare with those of the Canon's 1080p29.97. If you remove the Title Animation from the Timeline, do the problems disappear even with the DSLR project preset pointed to?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
                    AndyD74 Level 1

Thanks for your replies.  I will check these things out and get back to you. 

• 7. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
                      AndyD74 Level 1

Good news, I set it up like you said, and it works great now!  Thanks for your help!

• 8. Re: Rendered video in Premiere Elements 13 freezes...
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

AndyD74

Great news. Great job following through on the suggestion to get it to work for you.

If you have any questions on your project's import or export settings or other aspects of your project, please do not hesitate to ask when and if needed.

Best wishes

ATR