6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 3:53 AM by Keith_Reeder

Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?

bent17071831

I downloaded the trial version of CC to give lightroom 6 a go but was shocked at bad it was. The first indication was the mess it left in the launchpad (this is on a mac), I had a folder called "Adobe Creative Cloud (other)" which had a couple of links in that didn't appear to do anything if you clicked them. Searching online it appears a number of people have complained about this too. Tbh I wasn't that happy about all the CC stuff that was required just so I could access a lightroom trial.

I spoke to a guy on chat and he said I could uninstall CC and download the standalone. I ran the lightroom uninstall that was in applications but all this seemed to do was make lightroom not start. All the folders and files were still littered across my macbook, including the app itself in the launchpad. Uninstalling lightroom meant I could uninstall CC but it was a similar story. I found files and folders all over my system that were left behind. In the end I had to do a full restore from before I'd installed the trial version.

Normally at this point I would say this software is junk and move on but I really wanted to like lightroom. My original aim was to get the standalone version so my question is if I do this is it as bad as the CC install? In other words will it leave junk files across my system that looks really messy?

• 1. Re: Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It doesn't appear to be much different in terms of files AFAIK.

• 2. Re: Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?
            bent17071831 Level 1

Well I have my answer. I caved in and purchased the standalone copy. Adobe has a bit of a monopoly on this type of software...

The mess in launchpad is even worse than downloading via creative cloud. Along with the lightroom app I have shortcuts for the following:

* AAMLauncherUtil

* AAM Regi...Notifier

* AdobeApplicationManager

* AdobeAp...Handler)

* Adobe IPC Broker

* Creative Cloud

* ACCFindLoader32

* ACCFindLoader64

Most of these don't appear to do anything and have obscure names that don't really tell you what they're for. They look like system files but if that's the case what are they doing in the launchpad.

Also, downloading the standalone app doesn't appear to be any different with regard to the creative cloud manager. They seem to have installed that even though I have no use for it.

I obviously haven't tested out the uninstall but I've heard that if you upgrade it just installs the new version and you have to manually remove the old version. Given the uninstaller doesn't work this means you're bound to accumulate a lot of unnecessary files. It's massively bloated as it is.

This hasn't done much for my opinion of adobe. I stopped using acrobat years ago because it was massively bloated and kept spamming me about updates every 5 minutes. They seem to have a complete lack of respect for their customers. I guess with their dominance in this type of software they can afford a bit of arrogance.

• 3. Re: Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's very strange for me to read all of these problems that you and many other users seem to be having. And I'm not questioning whether or not you are experiencing the trouble that you are. But I have to say that I upgraded to Lightroom CC as soon as it was released. I have noticed no difference in performance, everything is working as it worked in Lightroom 5. The new features such as HDR and pano work as advertised. And I have what I consider to be a very modest computer. I have an i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, integrated graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium. GPU acceleration is not enabled on my computer because I don't have a graphics processor. But Lightroom runs very comfortably on my system. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope things get it corrected for you.

• 4. Re: Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?
                BigMouse Level 1

Yeah, JimHess is one of those who can't say enough good things about this product. Notice that this person or persons is on here constantly. For free?

Truth is truth JimHess. Adobe has sold a crap product and is using the customers to get it trouble shot.

bet17071831.... To this day my version is a 30 day trial............the link....LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In

• 5. Re: Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?
                  Sy2ygy Level 1

I can confirm this problem (and have elsewhere in forums.adobe.com).

• 6. Re: Is standalone lightroom as messy as CC?
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

BigMouse wrote:

Yeah, JimHess is one of those who can't say enough good things about this product. Notice that this person or persons is on here constantly. For free?

Don't be such a jerk. Jim's here because - alien concept to some people, I know - he wants to help people and he has the knowledge to do so.

What - exactly - do you contribute, again?

I'm with Jim - Lr is bomb-proof, fast and efficient on my machine.

Maybe we just know how to use it...