5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 6:59 AM by A.T. Romano

'Compile error. Unknown error.' or 'Multiplexing has gone wrong'

02010m

Hello people,

When I try to export my 4-minute video (just a simple video in 1080p: some clips with a soundtrack, a few titles and, despite a stabilizer sometimes, no effects), a 'compile error. Unkown error' or a 'Multiplexing has failed-error' occurs. For me, it looks like the program just chooses one of the two errors, just so it doesn't have to export my file... I can't find a reason for the errors.

I know how to get rid of the multiplexing error (by only exporting the video or the audio), but as soon as I get rid of that error, the compile error occurs, and I don't know how to get rid of that one... I advised Adobe's page about the compile error, but none of the tips they gave worked for me...

I decided to restart editing the video. This time I exported every time after I was done editing 30 seconds. It worked two times (so in total I have 1 minute exported), but the third time the errors re-appeared. I removed the third 30 seconds I edited (so I had only 1 minute left again), and tried if the first two 30 seconds still wanted to export. But this time, guess what, the errors did come up and it wouldn't export... PE won't export the exact same files as it exported before anymore!

I think, something goes wrong in the program itself, but the problem could als be my computer. Sometimes while editing a 'Premiere Elements has stopped working - pop up' appears and then I have no other choice than to close the program (is this a sign of a bad working computer?). And the problem could even be forced by me, doing something wrong...

Does anybody know something about these errors and how to cure them?

Looking forward to your response!

By the way: English isn't my first language, so don't go and hate on my English please!

• 1. Re: 'Compile error. Unknown error.' or 'Multiplexing has gone wrong'
          A.T. Romano Level 7

02010m

Your English is fine. But we do need more details. We do understand the problem that you described.

1. What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. What are the properties including file extension of what you are putting on your project's Timeline?

What did you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset to match the properties of your source media on the Timeline?

3. What is your intended export - if version 13/13.1, Publish+Share/Computer/and then what? And what are you setting as the preset for the export? Are you using the default settings of the preset selected or are you customizing the selected preset under its Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, Multiplexer Tab? What are your setting under the Multiplexer Tab?

4. Have you expanded the Timeline using the -+ slider above the Timeline and looked for irregularities in all the tracks (used or others that you believe unused).

a. gaps in Timeline contents

b. debris (leftovers) scattered around the tracks' content

c. placement of video and/or audio transitions, titles

I am assuming that there are no Timeline menu markers or Movie Menus involved in all this. Am I assuming correctly?

Before getting to the point where we suggest program uninstall/free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled, let us

a. make sure that the Timeline structure does not have flaws in it

b. determine if deleting the Premiere Elements Editor setting file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs) has any impact on any of the problems that you described

If Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

version number

and in the version number folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete...if that does not work, then delete the whole version number Folder in which Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled.

Please review and consider, and then we can try to put all the information together to find a consistent solution to the problems.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: 'Compile error. Unknown error.' or 'Multiplexing has gone wrong'
            02010m Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thank you very much for your extensive reply! The solution was to delete the preview folder! The video is exported and I'm really happy with the end result!

I still have a question: How can I adjust the project settings (like the framerate etc.)? Because all these setting are automatically set in my PE 12.

Thank you very much again!

02010m

• 3. Re: 'Compile error. Unknown error.' or 'Multiplexing has gone wrong'
              A.T. Romano Level 7

02010m

Thanks for the update and wonderful news of your success.

What is the frame rate that you want included in the project settings? We need to know if it is one that is included in the project presets that Adobe offers.

Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 are designed by Adobe so that the project settings are set automatically by the project based on the properties of the first video dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes the project does it right. Sometimes not. When not, then, before you import the source media into the project, you set the project preset yourself manually

Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, you find the project preset that matches the properties of your video, and you select it. Then OK out of that area.

In the New Project dialog that opens, you rename the project and make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then OK out of that area.

Back in the Expert workspace, you import your video with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders.

For Premiere Elements 13/13.1, you cannot change project settings once they have been established. If you have to change project preset, then you start a new project. Just in case note, you cannot change significant project settings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. If you have version 11 or 12/12.1, the following may be of interest with regard to changing project settings.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

In the case where you cannot find an Adobe project preset that comes with your video's special frame rate, then, if you are not going to do frame by frame editing of the video, we can select the closest project preset and take care of the frame rate in the export settings.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: 'Compile error. Unknown error.' or 'Multiplexing has gone wrong'
                02010m Level 1

Dear ATR,

I'm sorry for the incredibly late reply, but thank you again: your method worked! I hope, that if I have any problems in the future, you'll also be able to answer those! For now: Thank you very much!

Best wishes,

02010m

• 5. Re: 'Compile error. Unknown error.' or 'Multiplexing has gone wrong'
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

02010m

Thanks for the follow up and great news of your progress with your Premiere Elements workflows. Well done.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR