1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 2:02 PM by Benjamin Warde

LR CC backup corrupt

C-OW Level 1

Needed to get access to a backup of my catalog, created with LR CC (on Windows 7). The backup file is in a ZIP file now. I was unable to extract the .LRCAT file from the ZIP file. I tried both IZArc and Windows ZIP folder and got an error message: "File fails CRC check"

Created another backup -> same story!

LR is NOT able to create a proper ZIP file...wow, good job...I'd rather have a non zipped and working catalog file!

Oli

• 1. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

You might want to run a chkdsk scan on your hard drive to see if some sectors are going bad.

• 2. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
            C-OW Level 1

Very unlikely but I will try that later...

Oli

• 3. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
              C-OW Level 1

Nope, HDD in perfect condition!

Oli

• 4. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                arwen morgenstern Level 1

Same thing here :-(

At least with LRCC (with last Update)  under Windows 7 64. On my Macbook Pro everything works as it should.

Tried it with Windows, Winzip and 7-zip. 7-zip tells me: "Unsupported compression method".

Kai

• 5. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using Windows 7. I just double clicked on the zip file and it opened. Then I was able to drag the catalog file from the zip file to the desktop. Does that not work either?

• 6. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

That was the first thing i´ve tried... Without sucess.

Now i´ve tried to move the zip-File to another windows 7 computer and open it there. But, same thing, with winzip it tells me "Warning: skipping "0-kaisLR6.lrcat". Warning: skipping "0_alle_6.lrcat". The uncompressed size stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the uncompressed size stored in the central header".

• 7. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what to tell you. I dragged the catalog to the desktop and double-clicked on it. It opened up in Lightroom without a problem.

• 8. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

OK, thanks Jim,

I´ll try to install LR on my second windows machine and see if it´s the same problem there... As i mentioned: On Mac it works.

• 9. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                          C-OW Level 1

Sane here (tried again on Win): Windows file is corrupt, on Mac it is working!

Oli

• 10. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am using Windows 8.1 and Lightroom 6.0.1.

I tried making a backup and it works ok.  Windows Compressed Folders, WinRAR, 7-Zip all report no errors with my Lightroom6.lrcat.zip.

I use AVG-Free as my virus scanner.

• 11. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

So, have LR (CC / 6.1) installed on my second Windows computer, copied my main catalog (about 400,000 photos) on this machine, and then opened with LR.
                              But unfortunately Lightroom makes also on this system no backups that I can unpack.

However, I have noticed that a complete newly created catalog is backed up correctly on all of my computers (correctly means: Winzip can unpack it). So I guess now that it's up to the migration of LR5 catalog to LR6.

Now I try the following: Create a new empty catalog in LR6 and import the LR5 catalog via "Import From Catalog". This will probably take quite a while. Once it will be finished, i´ll report here ...

Adobe, this is getting really annoying. I think, these are real beta-version problems.

• 12. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the filesize of your .lrcat file?  I wonder if there is a 2GB limit for some ZIP programs.  My catalog is only 1GB and the backup zip unzips ok.

• 13. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                  andrewfreeman Level 3

I thought it was 4GB for standard .zip programs?

• 14. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                    C-OW Level 1

Mine is 4.5 GB large. Both IZarc and Windows ZIP failed. In the meantime I switched to a MAC. Bye bye Windows, bye bye corrupt/ too large ZIP files ;-)

Oli

• 15. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                      Simon G E Garrett Level 2

OK for me too.  Catalog size 1.8G, Win 7 64-bit.

Has somebody logged it as a possible bug?

• 16. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

Sorry, no further solutions hereOn my Windows 7 machine I have created a completely new empty catalog and then inserted my old LR5 catalog on "Import from another catalog". The catalog is about 8 GB. The zip file is about 1 GB ... but i can still not decompress it.

I did the same procedure on my MacBook Pro (Late 2013 maxed out 15``). And even there I can not open the backup.

Now I have no idea any more. Will have to back up manually via copy and paste. Overall, the "zip problem" is only one of several in this "Major Update". In summary LRCC / 6 is a big disappointment for me.

• 17. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

arwen morgenstern wrote:

Overall, the "zip problem" is only one of several in this "Major Update". In summary LRCC / 6 is a big disappointment for me.

Very strange.

I wouldn't doubt your experiences for a moment, but I've had no issues with LRCC (yet!).  A few operations are signifcantly faster for me (e.g. re-rendering on slider changed), but no operation is significantly slower (with a relatively old and slow Nvidia card).

It was like this when LR5 was launched; some people had enormous problems that others did not experience and could not reproduce on their systems. 

• 18. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does anyone know why Adobe started using ZIP compression for the LR Catalog Backup? Here's mine with a little over 28,000 image files:

That's a tiny 3.6 % or 37 MB file size reduction! Are others seeing higher compression? Is there an option in LR Preferences to turn it off?

• 19. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                              andrewfreeman Level 3

Actually it's approx 10% of the original size: 100MB vs 1GB

• 20. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

trshaner wrote:

Does anyone know why Adobe started using ZIP compression for the LR Catalog Backup? Here's mine with a little over 28,000 image files:

That's a tiny 3.6 % or 37 MB file size reduction! Are others seeing higher compression? Is there an option in LR Preferences to turn it off?

??

Looks like a 90% reduction to me.  1,023Mb to 98Mb

PS - I don't think there's any way of turning compression off.

• 21. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

That was just a test to see if anybody's really reading the details in these posts.....just kidding. Use of ZIP compression with the LR catalog file significantly reduces the required backup disk storage space!

My only concern is that when the catalog file data is Zipped and UnZipped it is processed using other system resources (processor and memory), which significantly increases the predicated data error rate. Considering the reduction in file size it's probably a reasonable trade-off. It would be nice to have the ability to choose whether or not to use ZIP compression with a Preferences option.

• 22. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                    andrewfreeman Level 3

It would be nice to have the ability to choose whether or not to use ZIP compression with a Preferences option.

I'd have to agree with that. It takes LR6 a fair amount longer to back up the file compared with LR5. What I've noticed is that it copies the file to the backup folder and then compresses it. The catalogue is substantially smaller than the files in the library, so it's not exactly taking up much room in comparison.

Maybe something to add as a suggestion.

Also I'm sure I read somewhere that you could limit the number of backups to keep- or did I dream that? I can't find a setting anywhere.

• 23. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

andrewfreeman wrote:

Also I'm sure I read somewhere that you could limit the number of backups to keep- or did I dream that? I can't find a setting anywhere.

Not that I'm aware of. Of course you can delete LR Catalog backup files manually and also backup your current working LR catalog file using Windows Explorer and Mac Finder using Copy & Paste...and the LR Catalog file will NOT be zipped.

• 24. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                        jonas013

Difficulty to unzip the backup.

I had similar difficulty when using the plugin TPG LR Backup with LR5. This plugin compresses the catalog backup into a zip file. However it was impossible to unzip it with common windows tools (Windows 7 embedded tool, Winzip, etc.). I always got messages similar to "corrupted zip file". Mat Dawson, who wrote the plugin, gave me the solution for Windows :

- download  "unzip.exe" program from the web and copy it into the same directory as the zip file

- open the "command windows" (ie a black windows where you can type DOS commands)

- change directory to select the one where the zip file and the "unszip.exe" program are stored

- type "unzip.exe" followed by the beginning of the zip file's name and then type "Tab". The zip file's name will automatically be fulfilled

- Type Enter and wait (it can last several minutes)

- when you get the DOS prompt ">" you can close the command windows.

- the unzipped file is now in the same directory.

I hope this is clear, even for younger folks who did not use DOS in the old times !

Michel (Paris)

• 25. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

I use 7-Zip http://www.7-zip.org/. It has options to appear in context menus (Windows Explorer) and for file associations. Its compatible with all versions of Windows. It should also work with ZIP files greater than >4 GB.

• 26. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                            Benjamin Warde Adobe Employee

Hi All,

Anyone having this problem willing to share their catalog with me?  I would need just the catalog file, no photos, no previews, etc.  Normally when asking for someone's catalog, I ask them to zip it, but in this case I think it would be better to have the original, uncompressed catalog, which means that it's likely to be a pretty big upload.  If you're willing to send me your catalog, let me know, and I'll contact you privately with instructions for uploading it to an Adobe FTP server.

Thanks,

Ben

• 27. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                              andrewfreeman Level 3

The official solution from Adobe  is to download WinRAR apparently. LR Catalog Won't Unzip

• 28. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

At least on my system it´s not the solution :-(

Like Winzip and 7zip, also winrar won´t unzip my catalogfile (8GB original, 1GB compressed)

• 29. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

Hi All,

Sorry for the trouble!  I am able to reproduce this problem as well.  I'm guessing that it's a limitation of the zip format, or the default zip software on Mac and Win.  But even if that's the case, obviously Lightroom should not produce backups which cannot subsequently be opened.  I am able to reproduce the problem on Mac too, by the way, it just takes a larger catalog.  On both Mac and Win it does take a very large catalog file to cause this problem, so it's not likely to affect many people.  Just you lucky folks!  I will post back to this thread when I have more information.

Thanks,

Ben

• 30. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                                    jonas013 Level 1

Hi, Ben !

Before Lightroom 6 I used the TPG LRBackup plugin and I experienced similar difficulties with a 7.5 GB catalog.

Mat Dawson, who wrote the plugin, gave me the following solution for Windows :

- download  "unzip.exe" program from the web and copy it into the same directory as the zip file

- open the "command windows" (ie a black windows where you can type DOS commands)

- change directory to select the one where the zip file and the "unszip.exe" program are stored

- type "unzip.exe" followed by the beginning of the zip file's name and then type "Tab". The zip file's name will automatically be fulfilled

- Type Enter and wait (it can last several minutes)

- when you get the DOS prompt ">" you can close the command windows. The unzipped file is now in the same directory.

I hope this will help.

Regards from Paris.

Michel D

• 31. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

Hi All,

In my tests, Stuffit Expander will decompress these zip files with no problem.  Stuffit expander is free.  You can get it for Windows here: http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffit-expander-windows.html.  For Mac, you can get it from the Mac App Store.  There are probably still some Lightroom issues that we'll need to address, since ideally we wouldn't be producing zip files that the native OS software can't expand.  But for anyone who is experiencing this problem in the meantime, Stuffit Expander should work as a workaround.

Note that if Stuffit Expander doesn't work for you, then I suspect that you are experiencing a different, unrelated problem.  If so, let me know, and I'll investigate.

Thanks,

Ben

• 32. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

It works :-)) Thank you so much, Ben!

• 33. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                                          isis33205656

I've been having the same issue. Stuffit Expander worked! Thanks Ben!

• 34. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                                            kurtf46725401

Yes the Stuffit Expander  did work thankfully. But you have too wonder how this came to even be an issue. If the Lightroom default compression is this zip file why do we have to use anything other than Lightroom itself to open the back-up?

• 35. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                                              Martin Rosindale Level 1

Good question!

I cannot see why it was necessary to include a zip function in LR6 in the first place. If people want to compress and decompress their backup catalogues they can do this in the normal way.

Why introduce functions in LR which have nothing to do with photo-processing, that seems to be likely to increase the risk of problems developing.

• 36. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

From the "user behavior" perspective, my guess as to why the ZIP file is used is so that the users cannot directly open the backup catalogs.

The correct use of the backup catalogs is to first copy one to the primary location then open the catalog at the primary location.

• 37. Re: LR CC backup corrupt
                                                                                  dougjz55

This is still a major issue for me.  Stuffit does not work except to produce more .zip files.  I have a large catalog that I want to access on a portable hard drive (Mac OS) like I've done thousands of times with LR5/4/3/2 catalogs.  I don't understand how Adobe can not have addressed this issue by now. 

• 38. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

Putting the catalog on the external drive should be as simple as drag-drop or a simple copy command in a shell window. No need for dealing with backups at this point.

• 39. Re: LR CC backup corrupt

Hi Doug,

Make sure you're using Stuffit Expander.  If you use just use Stuffit, then yes, it will just make more zips.  If you have a zipped backup that Lightroom generated that Stuffit Expander won't unzip, let me know, I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks,

Ben

1 2 Previous Next