12 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 8:56 AM by jonholcombe

244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder

jonholcombe Level 1

I recently imported 8 photos into Lightroom 5.7 using the "2015-05-25 Folder Name" naming system, and I saw the 8 imported photos in the folder. No problems. However, after reopening Lightroom, the folder with 8 photos suddenly has 252 photos. There are 244 random photos from various years and various other folders which are also inside of my main "Photo Library Lightroom" folder. I had been assigning "key wordis" to photos last week, but I am not sure how that could have taken 246 random photos and "shoved" them into the wrong folder. Do I have to manually "refile" the "misfiled" photos, or is there a magic button to get Lightroom to fix this?

• 1. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do these 244 random files show the keywords that were added recently and the Develop edits you made to them previously? Unless you have "Automatically write changes into XMP' selected the only way that could have happened is if you inadvertently "moved" them inside the LR library module to that  folder. You will need to move the files to their original location manually.

• 2. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
            jonholcombe Level 1

As it happens none of the 244 photos have keywords assigned to them (yet), and none have Develop edits. I DO have "Automatically write changes into XMP" selected but how would that setting have moved the 244 random photos (from 15 or more random folders) into one incorrect folder (which also happens to be the most recent import folder)?

• 3. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder

If the "random" images were moved from outside LR and then reimported using the Import module or using Library folder "Synchronization" they would no longer show assigned keywords or edits in the Develop module. The only exception would be when "Automatically write changes into XMP" is selected in Preferences, since that information is duplicated in the file metadata or XMP files.

My guess is that these "random" files were somehow accidentally moved to the new folder location. This could have happened during the keywording session using a top-level folder filter spanning the affected subfolders. Just a guess.

• 4. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                jonholcombe Level 1

Thanks for the help but I'm quite certain the photos were not moved from outside LR, and I'm pretty sure they did not have keywords or Develop settings and since they had "Automatically write changes into XMP" (all images in the catalog do), it shouldn't matter anyway if I understand what you're saying. There is just no way that 244 photos could have been "accidentally" moved from multiple folders into the same incorrect folder, which coincidentally is my most recent import folder.

I was (and still am) concerned that there is some other reason for the presence of that many photos showing up in the wrong place, especially since I've never misplaced one that I can recall. But as you said, I suppose the only solution is to manually move them back into the correct folders, and assume that they won't migrate back!

Thanks for taking the time to help.

• 5. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder

If you're absolutely certain the 244 random files were never moved by you (or anyone else who has access to the system) then it's a mystery. There's no LR tool or mechanism that would cause this to happen without human intervention.

This could be caused by corruption in the LR Catalog's file location data due to memory or hard drive errors. In most cases this would also render the catalog unusable and prevent it from being launched the next time LR is opened. If the 244 random file's location showing in LR is the actual physical location showing in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, then this is NOT a case of catalog corruption since the files are actually moved (not just incorrect LR pointers).

Because of this the only possible way the files could have been "physcially moved" to a new location is by human intervention, another program, or a virus. Unless you can identify the cause there's a distinct possibility it will happen again.

• 6. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                    jonholcombe Level 1

Hmm, I hear what you are saying.

I just checked the physical location of the 244 photos in question in the Mac Finder and all of the photos that Lightroom is showing in the folder ARE actually "physically" in the folder, in the Finder. The other thing is, let's say for the sake of argument that I somehow went into the Finder and dragged 244 distinct files, from MANY different folders (15 or 20 or maybe 35, I am not sure at this point), into the most recent Lightroom import folder IN THE FINDER. Lightroom would not see them, right? if I understand how Lightroom works wouldn't I have to Import them into the folder in which I have now found them?

I also run Diskwarrior twice a week and keep my six hard drives in good shape.

Very strange. But again, I appreciate the time you have taken to answer. If uncover any clues as I "refile" these photos from within Lightroom, I will post it.

• 7. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One thing that could explain at least most of the situation is that you did a synchronize at a top-level folder then had Move as your Import type instead of Add, as well as Don’t Import Suspected Duplicates UNCHECKED, and LR imported and moved all those photos to whatever your current destination was.

• 8. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

From where did you do the import of the 8 images? A Memory card, A Camera, From the Hard drive itself?

• 9. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                          jonholcombe Level 1

The original 8 images were imported from a camera and for, perhaps a day or two, they were the only images in the folder in question. Then, after logging back into the Finder (OSX 10.8.5), I saw the additional, and completely random additional 244 images.

• 10. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                            jonholcombe Level 1

ssprengel, I don't believe I ran a "synchronize folder". I was working on files adding keywords (by year) though, and I will backtrack tomorrow and try and figure out what if anything else I may have done to cause this.

• 11. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder

ssprengel wrote:

One thing that could explain at least most of the situation is that you did a synchronize at a top-level folder then had Move as your Import type instead of Add, as well as Don’t Import Suspected Duplicates UNCHECKED, and LR imported and moved all those photos to whatever your current destination was.

This does sounds like what might have caused the "Move" of 244 random files into the single new folder, but I don't think so.

If the 244 random files were previously imported into LR they would be not selected when doing a 'Synchronize Folder' operation on a top-level folder. 'Synchronize Folder' searches the selected folder and subfolders if 'Show Photos in Subfolders' is checked in the Library menu. Files that reside in the target folders on the HDD that are NOT currently showing inside LR will be imported.

If the 244 random files were NOT previously imported into LR then they would be imported if the 'Synchronize Folder' was performed on the top-level containing folder. Unfortunately I can't duplicate this as I only see 'Add' with the other options grayed out when importing files from numerous subfolders with files that are not showing inside LR. Here's what I see with 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates' checked or NOT checked:

Even if I select 'All Photos' only the files that are "missing" inside LR are checked for Import. It's impossible to select any other files inside LR or force it to 'Move' the files to a new destination folder.

Steve, is there some mode or setting I'm missing that would allow selecting 'Move' when doing a 'Synchronize Folder' Import?

• 12. Re: 244 random photos suddenly appeared in the wrong folder
                                jonholcombe Level 1

As I am beginning to refile the 244 photos that were misfiled, I notice that the sequence number of the shots ("IMG_8178.CR2") is intact and they fit neatly in sequence with the other shots in the folders where they belong. However, the time stamp on all of these photos has reverted to what appears to be a default - "1/1/00 12:00 AM" (although the "seconds" are different and appear to be sequential). Most of the 244 misfiled photos appear to have reverted to the same default date and time. I am not sure how this a clue but it seems significant.