6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2015 1:27 AM by bitm07

Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?

CaptainSmingey

Is Adobe planning on allowing 3rd party retailers (such as B&H and Adorama) to sell LR6 upgrade boxed?

Regardless of what you think of the boxed version, I find value in it and would appreciate being able to buy it from a trusted party!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It doesn't appear that there is a boxed version of the Lightroom 6 upgrade. Even if it was possible to do so, you would immediately be prompted to install an update because one has been issued already. So the disk would be out of date. And as far as a "trusted" seller is concerned, you would have to deal with Adobe directly for any issues with the product. So whether or not you want to deal with Adobe is irrelevant. There isn't any way around it.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?
            CaptainSmingey Level 1

Well, in your mind, there is little value in the boxed copy.  That is fine.  I am still interested in a boxed upgrade.  I still find value in a boxed version.  I am already aware there is not currently a boxed upgrade version -- that was not my question.  If would have to had already known that to pose the question I posed in the first place.

And regardless of what you think of this issue, your opinion of my view is irrelevant.  I'm not here to debate my reasoning for wanting a boxed copy. I stated my op the way I did to avoid the type of post with which you responded.  Yet you still felt it necessary to step into weeds with irrelevant opinion.

My question, as stated, still stands --  Is Adobe planning on a boxed upgrade version of LR 6? 

Too many people think they have the right to get into a perfect stranger's koolaid when it comes to online communication and argue any case against them.  That's not right.  I'm here simply to get a question answered, not to read your view points of my choices (or in this case possibility for a choice).  I'm more wondering if the boxed upgrades are being delayed but will still be released to 3rd party retailers? 

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?

I apologize for sipping your Kool-Aid. I don't believe there has been an answer from Adobe. The only way you will find out the answer to that question is to wait and see if an upgrade box is offered. You have probably already looked online and discovered that no one is offering an upgrade box. In my opinion (which counts for nothing) that is an indication that there probably won't be an upgrade offered. And if you consider Adobe's trend to move more and more to the creative cloud, I think it's safe to assume that box upgrade releases are unlikely.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?
                CaptainSmingey Level 1

Ok, thank you for the response (and apology).    The fact that Adobe now seems to really be pushing CC seems to make me think the same, but was hoping there was more news.  Take care!

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?

And I wasn't really criticizing your wanting a boxed version. I was simply pointing out that after you install from the box you will immediately be prompted to update by downloading and installing Lightroom 6.01. And that update is going to completely replace what you installed from the disk. It was my understanding that we could have open discussions on the forum. Is it so offensive to have someone even suggest a differing point of view?

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade boxed version?
                    bitm07 Level 1

CaptainSmingey wrote:

Is Adobe planning on allowing 3rd party retailers (such as B&H and Adorama) to sell LR6 upgrade boxed?

Regardless of what you think of the boxed version, I find value in it and would appreciate being able to buy it from a trusted party!

Adobe has given no indication that LR6 upgrades, will be available from 3rd party retailers.

Have you concidered, purchasing the full boxed version of LR6, then selling your boxed version of LR5 on Ebay etc.  The net price paid, is like to be in the region of what Adobe are charging to download the LR6 upgrade ?.  You would then have a full boxed version of LR6, which could be sold in the same way, if no boxed  upgrade version of LR7 is made a available.