6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 6:38 AM by john beardsworth

Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers

axlaxeman

Is there a way to see files synced with LR CC on my iMac using LR CC on my MacBook, the same way I can see them using LR Mobile on my iPad/iPhone?    

My iMac has my main library in a RAID array, but I take my laptop everywhere, and would like the ability to do more than the basic sort and organise that Lightroom on the Web allows me, using the same smart previews that my mobile devices can access.

Currently I can do more editing on my iPad than I can on my MacBook, and that can't be correct...

Is there any possibility for this?

Bonus points if I can add raw files back in, but I can't see how that would work.

• 1. Re: Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I watched a class on CreativeLive with Jared Platt. He puts all of his photos on a portable drive and can connect it to any computer he wants to use. He backs it up in multiple places, so it is safe enough to carry around a portable drive.

• 2. Re: Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers
            axlaxeman Level 1

Hey Steven,

This is not practical for me, because my files are stored on a RAID array that is too large, and too many disks, to carry around, hence wanting to do it through LR

• 3. Re: Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

This is not practical for me, because my files are stored on a RAID array that is too large, and too many disks, to carry around, hence wanting to do it through LR

If you store everything on your RAID, and you create a catalog (or copy one) that has all of those photos in it, and create previews of a sufficient size, then you can disconnect the laptop from the RAID and still be able to edit everything completely.  When you reconnect to the RAID, all of the changes will be made on the originals based on what you did to the previews.

• 4. Re: Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

axlaxeman wrote:

Currently I can do more editing on my iPad than I can on my MacBook, and that can't be correct...

Bonus points if I can add raw files back in, but I can't see how that would work.

That's pretty well correct. I agree with you though - one of my first questions was whether I might be able to run LrMobile on my laptop.

One thing you may not have noticed is that on your laptop you can add new files to your main catalogue by dragging and dropping into the LrWeb browser window. The originals are uploaded and will appear in your synced catalogue. You can also download a large JPEG by going into an image's comments pane on the right and on the Photo Info tab is a "Download large JPEG" button. Now, put these together and you can download the large JPEG, work on it and save your changes, then upload it by dragging and dropping into the browser.

The external drive suggestion might be more viable if you take the catalogue and smart previews for images you might need (don't worry about the regular previews). I want access to large numbers of pictures when I go away for a period. So I have a smart collection to find photos that should have smart previews - the criteria are images that don't have smart previews and are recent or >3 stars or from the area where I'm planning to travel etc. I'll then make smart previews of anything that shows up in the SC. When this shows zero, I know I have all the pictures I may need during the trip and will be able to do things like send out pictures, research locations, copy metadata etc.

• 5. Re: Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers
                  axlaxeman Level 1

John,

That's more or less what I wanted to do except for two things:

1. adding a raw file to the LR Web Browser Window won't add the actual raw file to my desktop back home

2. I can download a large jpeg through the web browser, and then edit that using the LR on my laptop, but those edits won't sync with the raw files I have back home, so its still easier to do that on an iPad and not possible on a Mac, and that doesn't make sense...

Steve - thats not quite what I wanted to do, but thanks for the reply

Atishay

• 6. Re: Using LR CC/LR Mobile with multiple computers
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Atishay

I don't seriously suggest using that JPEG workflow, though it can work OK for experimenting with images. You have to sync any edits manually.

As for your point 1, I recommend you try dragging a raw file into LrWeb's browser windows and seeing what arrives on the desktop.

John