7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2015 6:59 PM by Haree

Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!

Haree

Just installed the Lightroom CC (6) trial, created a catalog, added an existing folder and this is what I observed.

• Each photo shoot folder contains two folders: Original (DNGs) and Shared (JPEGs)
      • All original DNGs stay exactly the same. But the shared JPEGs are not getting imported properly. Even the [Reset] button fails to set all sliders to 0. And once I adjust all sliders to 0 manually, then the image looks fine. Check this IMAGE.
      • While importing I made sure that no default develop settings were selected. 'None' was the option picked for whatever options that are available.

I assume the problem is, some develop settings getting automatically applied to the image (JPEGs) unintentionally and that is why the [Reset] button fails to do what it is supposed to do!

Anybody else experiencing this problem? OR am I doing something wrong here?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom always applies a set of default settings when importing new images. But you can change those default settings to whatever you want them to be. If you really want your JPEG images to be imported with everything  set to 0, make all the settings on one of your imported JPEG's, and then save new camera defaults. That's how they will be imported from then on. And that's what will happen if you click on the Reset button. Note that you will have different default settings for JPEG and raw.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
            Haree Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I've tried that already. In the Develop module, made the necessary changes on one image and from menu updated the default settings. Develop > Set Default Settings... > [Update to Current Settings]. Once I did this, I tried importing all the images again. But the problem is still there.

Yes, you can create a custom preset under User Presets and choose it to apply on import, but then it affects both DNGs and JPEGs. I just want all the images (which are already edited) to be imported correctly to Lightroom. I had no issue with the previous versions (and never bothered to change the default settings), but I wonder what is happening here now.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may need to turn off the Apply Auto Toning in LR Prefs:

Otherwise, the settings may already be embedded in the JPG files so reimporting may not help.  Resetting should change the values to whatever your current LR defaults are.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
                Haree Level 1

I've tried it in another system and it works fine; imports JPEGs / DNGs the way it should, without applying any unnecessary changes. May be I should try reinstalling Lightroom in the former machine.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
                  Haree Level 1

Thanks a lot. The 'Apply auto tone adjustments' was selected in my Lightroom > Preferences > Presets. Unchecked it and all the files got imported correctly.

IMHO, Lightroom should consider synchronizing/populating existing files and importing new files from a camera / card as two processes rather than one.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So you don't want Auto Tone applied when you synchronize to do when you import from the camera?   How does LR know when you synchronize if the photos were just copied (by you) from the camera or if you are messing around and are synchronizing photos you've already imported once but told LR to forget about?  It can't.  Basically you have to be smart enough to do things correctly.

My question would be why was the Auto Tone set in Preferences to begin with?   Was it by mistake or on purpose but you forgot?

And why would you need this?  Sometimes I do Auto Tone on many of my images, before I reset the Exposure and Blacks and Whites that are invariably not what I want, so I would rather initiate the Auto Tone myself and fix it as I go through, not assume that me or my camera didn't expose things reasonably well.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC / 6: Issue with importing JPEG files!
                      Haree Level 1

Yes, I do want Auto Tone applied, but I usually create different presets for each of my lens + body combination and I apply them accordingly (if it is the same body + lens used for an entire shoot, then I will apply the required one during import itself).

Importing and synchronizing can be treated separately, I don't think checking whether a file is processed earlier or is it fresh from the camera is going to be a big problem. It can be prompted as well, so that users can suggest LR what to do. Anyway it is just a suggestion based on my work habits.