8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2007 4:38 AM by ChrisH

AVI size limit or other problem??

ChrisH Level 1
      Hi All,
      I have an AVI imported to Director. I'm controlling it with lingo and have built a basic slider control.
      Video is 2.93Gig - 640x480 @ 25fps. I know the video is 21 minutes and I wish to display this in its entire length but the AVI only plays first 15m:32sec consistently. I think around 55912 ticks. I'm comparing movieTime to Duration to ensure the playhead stays at the frame for full movie duration but I can't get it to remain there for the 21 min, only 15.5min. I've tested code with much shorter movies and it works fine. I've also tested another 24min (2.97Gig) video which plays to 17.5 min and drops out in the same fashion. Is there some limiting factor in Director kicking it off the frame or not playing the full AVI.
      I'd really appreciate any ideas?
      System is legit commercial version of Director MX, Core2Duo machine, 2Gig RAM, 2 x 350Gig SATA HDD, Windows XP Pro.
      Best Regards
      Chris
        • 1. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
          Level 7
          ChrisH wrote:

> Hi All,
          > I have an AVI imported to Director. I'm controlling it with lingo and have
          > built a basic slider control.
          > Video is 2.93Gig - 640x480 @ 25fps...

Hi Chris,

My first questions in response is:
          Is there any vital reason you need to use an AVI?

AVIs were created back for Windows 3.1 which it was started up through DOS.
          Remember those days? Anyway, point is it was Microsoft's first attempt at desktop
          digital video. And in the years since then, Microsoft have made virtually no
          upgrade to the AVI format. When video started taking off because of streaming video
          and new web technology, Microsoft decided to get their focus back on video but
          realized AVIs weren't up to scratch so they created a new Windows Media Video. So,
          AVI really is becoming an obsolete video type and I'm not surprised you're having
          problems with a very large AVI file.

So, can you use something different like QuickTime? Or how about making it into a
          DVD video? The Mpeg Advanced Xtra plays VOB files quite well as so you can have a
          DVD with the same type of controls, slider, etc that you could make for a QT or
          AVI. I have briefly tried the DVD Xtra of Director MX 2004. There is a tool for you
          to create a DVD control panel. But, Mpeg Advanced Xtra would work with Director MX
          (as far as I know). One issue with using DVD is that there are additional software
          requirements for the playback computer. But, assuming your project would always be
          delivered on one computer, it may not be an issue for you.

Hope this is helpful.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 2. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
            ChrisH Level 1
            Hi Dean,
            thanks for the response. I'm aware of the other methods using MPEG or a DVD solution. I was using AVI with a standard windows codec so I didn't have to worry about codecs on any target machine or rely on an xtra. You're right I could change the media type but will then have to change the code accordingly and would rather not do so if this doesn't solve the original vid prob. I know of the library item for the DVD controller but decided to build a custom controller as the application will be controlled via touch screen so layout, size, etc wouldn't be an issue. It has me stummped that it's not showing as an intermittent fault but rather at very precise times consistently, so indicated to me that there was some limiting factor. I'd be greatful for any other thoughts.
            Best Regards
            Chris
            • 3. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
              Level 7
              ChrisH wrote:
              > Hi All,
              > I have an AVI imported to Director. I'm controlling it with lingo
              > and have built a basic slider control.
              > Video is 2.93Gig - 640x480 @ 25fps. I know the video is 21 minutes
              > and I wish to display this in its entire length but the AVI only
              > plays first 15m:32sec consistently. I think around 55912 ticks. I'm
              > comparing movieTime to Duration to ensure the playhead stays at the
              > frame for full movie duration but I can't get it to remain there for
              > the 21 min, only 15.5min. I've tested code with much shorter movies
              > and it works fine. I've also tested another 24min (2.97Gig) video
              > which plays to 17.5 min and drops out in the same fashion. Is there
              > some limiting factor in Director kicking it off the frame or not
              > playing the full AVI.
              > I'd really appreciate any ideas?

Could it be that it only plays the first 2GB worth of video?

Andrew

• 4. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
                Level 7
                Andrew Morton wrote:

> Could it be that it only plays the first 2GB worth of video?

You're onto something there Andrew.

As I mentioned, AVI is a very early desktop video format not designed to do
                anything too complex. Did a bit of reasearch and found
                Type 1 AVI files are limited to a 2GB file size

There are 2 tpes of AVI
                Type-1 AVI files - video and audio are combined in one stream, for
                interleaved video/audio stream.
                Type-2 AVI file - video and audio are stored in separate streams.

Some more history:
                In order to capture and access AVI file, Microsoft developed a system,
                consisting of a set of routines and drivers, called Video for Windows
                (VFW). However, this system does not have the ability to read files in
                which video and audio are placed in one stream (Type-1). Later on,
                Microsoft replaced VFW by another system called DirectShow. DirectShow can
                read Type-1 AVI files and is also backwards compatible with VFW, so also
                Type-2 files can be read.

Type 1 does a much better job keeping the audio and video in synch with
                each ther but you have the 2GB limit.

So, the options are to either add further comprsession to the AVI or to use
                another format.

regards
                Dean

• 5. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
                  Level 7
                  ChrisH wrote:

> I was using AVI with a standard windows codec so I didn't have to
                  > worry about codecs on any target machine or rely on an xtra.

What standard codec are you using?

> You're right I could change the media type but will then have to change the code
                  > accordingly
                  > and would rather not do so if this doesn't solve the original vid prob.

With Xtras, the code may be teh same so you may not have to change anything. Know
                  this is teh case with Mped Advanced. Also look at teh MediaPlayer Xtra:
                  http://www.starsoftmultimedia.com/xtras/MediaPlayer/
                  supports a range of video types inncluding MPEG-2

> It has me stummped that it's not showing as an
                  > intermittent fault but rather at very precise times consistently, so indicated
                  > to me that there was some limiting factor.

See what I wrote under Andrew's reply.

regards
                  Dean

• 6. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
                    johnAq Level 1
                    I'm fairly sure AVI did have a 2Gb file size limit, and it sounds very much like this is the issue. You could probably use one of the MPEG/WMV playback xtras as they should be able to play the AVI and not have this limitation

hth

johnAq
                    • 7. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
                      ChrisH Level 1
                      Hi everyone,
                      thank you for your contributions. I will produce an under 2Gig version and see how it reacts. I had assumed that the limit was dealt with by later versions of the OS as the 3 Gig file was playing perfectly through windows, Premiere Pro, etc.
                      Once again thank you. Will post my results back in this thread.
                      Best Regards
                      Chris
                      • 8. Re: AVI size limit or other problem??
                        ChrisH Level 1
                        Hi Everyone,
                        I did as suggested and are now using the videos as DVD media elements in separate folders for each of the three videos. The first video plays in entirety and the others wont load from the separate folder locations - have posted this problem in more detail in the Basic and Lingo forums under "Multiple DVD's...".
                        Any help would be appreciated, my timeline is really running thin.
                        Thank you

Best Regards
                        Chris