5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2007 10:30 PM by Newsgroup_User

Not enough virtual memory

William_Donelson
      Sigh.

We have an old Explore Parliament CD-ROM which was produced using MM Director 5 in 1999. The CD-ROM still sells (a bit) and runs on most Windows PCs.

However, we see around 10% - 15% of our customers getting the Director error message:

- - - "This program requires at least 3 MB of virtual memory...."

We are no longer able to update the source project to run under Dir 6 - 10 (there were many Lingo changes between Dir 5 and 6), so: IS there any way to get past the Virtual Memory error ?

Thanks very much!

• 1. Re: Not enough virtual memory
          Level 7
          I do not think there is anything that you can do about the problem if
          you are unable to update it for modern operating systems. The old
          version can be run on a newer machine in compatibility mode generally.
          The user will have to do this:

Right click on the exe icon and choose properties. Click on the
          Compatibility tab and check the box for "Run this program in
          compatibility mode". The default option of Window 95 is probably the
          best choice in the dropdown box below. Generally that fixes it. If not,
          try some other settings on that tab.

That usually fixes the out of memory error. I think the problem is that
          the newer versions of Windows use RAM differently than the older ones
          and the very old version of Director that you used to create the program
          can not handle the new versions of Windows' memory allocation.
          • 2. Re: Not enough virtual memory
            William_Donelson Level 1
            I also found this on the internet.

Which is the BETTER WAY ???

====================================

Change Virtual Memory Settings
            1. Click Start>Control Panel.

2. Click on Performance and Maintenance.

3. Click on the System icon at the bottom of the window. The System Properties window opens.

4. Click on the Advanced tab.

5. In the Performance section, click on the Settings button. The Performance Options window opens.

6. Click on the Advanced tab.

7. In the Virtual Memory section, click on Change. The Virtual Memory window opens

8. Verify that the number next to Space available: is higher than 4000 MB (at least 6000 is recommended). If there is not sufficient space available, you will need to clear more space by removing files and programs you no longer use, before you can proceed with these instructions.

9. Click on the radio button next to Custom size.

10. In the boxes next to both Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB), type 4000.

11. Click on the Set button. If you receive a message that you will need to restart the computer for settings to take effect, click OK.

12. Click OK to close the Virtual Memory window.

13. Click OK and then OK again.

14. Close all open windows.

15. Click Start>Shut Down and then choose Restart.

16. After the computer restarts, try the program again.

• 3. Re: Not enough virtual memory
              Level 7
              Q: Which is the BETTER WAY ???
              A: Whichever one works.

You can expect to have lots of problems if you are using a very old
              program on a new operating system. Test each method and see which one
              works. If both work, then I would choose the one that is easiest to do
              and causes less problems for the user.

My way (if it works in your instance), requires a simple change that can
              be done in a few clicks, and affects only the one application

This other way that you found requires the user to follow some more
              complex instructions, it affects the entirety of Windows, requires a
              reboot, and may cause serious problems if they mess up their virtual
              memory settings.

I would start with my method, and if it works, call it a day. If it
              does not work, then try this other one. If it works, then you have your
              solution.

If neither work, then you may want to look into re-authoring it with a
              modern program that is built to handle modern operating systems.
              • 4. Re: Not enough virtual memory
                johnAq Level 1
                Here is a previous discussion on this with a solution - it requires some fiddling around, but it's not as drastic as changing the global settings

http://groups.google.com.au/group/macromedia.director.basics/browse_thread/thread/2821a4ba 42834d1/e49b684b05dbaf24?tvc=2&q=XP+virtual+memory+fix+group%3A*director*&hl=en#e49b684b05 dbaf24

hth

johnAq
                • 5. Re: Not enough virtual memory
                  Level 7
                  I have old Director projectors that give the "Virtual Memory" error on my
                  laptop but the same projector works on my desktop (both XP).

I've never really experiemented to try fix the problem. Well, I did create a
                  new version projector. Anyway, just followed the suggestions of right
                  clicking
                  With a projector of version 5.0.0.134
                  Compatibility options where:
                  Windows 95 - default
                  Windows 98 / ME
                  Windows NT (Sevice pack 5)
                  Windows 2000

I tried all all of the above and could not get rid of teh Virtual memory

I have another projector EXE that was created with Director 6. This is a
                  demo CD amd has 2 EXEs on the CD. start16.exe and start32.exe. I assume the
                  16 / 32 refer to bit depth support. the 16 version works OK. The 32 version
                  gives the error.

I recall back to Director 5, there was 2 options for creating a projector
                  and for Director 6. So, another solution would be to create multiple EXEs
                  and pehaps the lower bit one would avoid the error.

regards
                  Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                  http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                  http://www.multimediacreative.com.au