11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2016 10:02 PM by wobertc

How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?

ChilleeX Level 1

Hi!

I just got Lightroom 6 and everything is fine so far. However, I think the performance could be better and I believe one of the reason for that is that Lightroom chooses the wrong GPU.

But first things first, I am running a Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro (VN7-571G-55ZA) with the following configuration:

• Intel Core i5-4210U 1.7 GHz
      • 8 GB DDR3 L Memory
      • 8 GB SSD +1000GB Hybrid hard drive
      • Intel HD Graphics 4400
      • NVIDIA GeForce 840M with 2 GB Dedicated VRAM
      • Windows 8.1 64-bit

So usually my notebook runs with the Intel HD GPU. But when I am using Lightroom, I would like my notebook to use the better GPU from NVIDIA. Unfortunately, I could not find any option to configure it like that, neither in Lightroom nor in the setting of the GPU.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Or is it not necessary, since maybe the used GPU will be switched automatically as soon as the workload is high enough? How can I test this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers

• 2. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
          BKKDon Level 4

You can change the default GPU for a program through the NVIDIA Control Panel, simply Right-Click on the Lightroom Icon and select Run with Graphics processor -> Choose Default Graphics processor ...

Then you will be given an option to select the preferred graphics processor for Lightroom.

My advice would be to NOT disable the Intel HD card in the devices panel.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
            ChilleeX Level 1

Thank you for your fast responses!

Wolf Eilers: Unfortunately, this link doesnt help me, since I dont want to disable my intel GPU.

BKKDon: I would like to do so, but I cannot. :/ In the NVIDIA Control Panel, I can just configure 3D settings such as Adjust image settings, Manage 3D settings and Set PhysX configuration. I tried "Manage 3D settings" in order to define that the NVIDIA GPU is used for Lightroom, but I cannot select it from the given list (It is not in there.) and I cant find an option to add it. Do I miss a point? Or is there any other solution?

• 4. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
              ChilleeX Level 1

Okay. I did not see the BIG "add" button in "Manage 3D settings". Now it is working as wanted. Thank you!

• 5. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                romaing26156562

Hi ChilleeX,

So it's working for you? Because I have the same issue and when I add lightroom in the 3D settings it does'nt change anything. When I close the nvidia control panel and re-open it, the configuration for Lightroom has disapeared.

I have a MSI GT70 with  and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and  NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

• 6. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                  romaing26156562 Level 1

In fact if I right clic on the lightroom.exe and choose "Run we graphic processor/ High performance" it is working.

But it's pretty ennoying to do this each time that I want to use Lightroom!

• 7. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                    ChilleeX Level 1

Yes, it is working for me. What I did was:

1. Open Nvidia Control Panel.

2. Manage 3D settings, Tab program settings.

3. Click right next to the drop-downlist "Add" and search for the "lightroom.exe" and add it to the list.

4. Choose "lightroom.exe" from the drop-list and configure it as you want it. (So choose your graphic chip you want.)

5. Click "Apply"

Make sure that Lightroom is closed when you do it.

After you changed the settings, you can start Lightroom and it should run on your chosen GPU now.

That is how it worked for me. Hopefully, it will be the same for you!

Cheers

ChilleeX

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                      Rwolf01

Okay, can I ask *how* you know that it is using the nVideo GPU?   I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with 'hybrid' graphics (win7Pro-64, Intel HD4000 integrated graphics + nVidia GeForce GT 640M LE GPU) and I'm running lighroom 6 ( version 6.6 [1078672] according to LR's Help->System Info utility)

I have updated everything I can find (Lightroom version, Intel graphics driver and control panel and nVidia driver and control panel) and I have switched every HW and SW switch I can to say 'use the nVidia GPU, damit!' (power profiles, right click on the LR icon, and the various places in the nVidia control panel)

Lightroom's System Info *still* says:

Graphics Processor Info:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: Intel

Version: 3.3.0 - Build 10.18.10.4425

Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

LanguageVersion: 3.30 - Build 10.18.10.4425

And under Edit->Preferences->Performance it says "Use Graphics Processor Intel(r) HD Graphics 4000" with the box checked.

Note: This is actually a small measure of progress.  When I started, it said the Intel HD Graphics 4000 was too lame to bother with.  ("OpenGL support failed" was the exact error message)

But I'd really like to see it using the nVidia GPU. 

Note: Disabling the Intel GPU is NOT a solution.  I tried that.  (actually tried deleting both GPUs -- in safe mode -- in the device manager and doing a clean install of the nVida drivers.  It's won't load without the Intel driver loaded first.)

My guess is that the Intel GPU is actually hooked to the display ports and LCD, and it only 'subcontracts' the GPU work to the nVidia chip when it's told to.   Maybe Lightroom is asking the wrong question to discover which GPU it is supposed to be using? 

Anyway,  I've tried everything I can think of and still no joy.

Questions to those who say it is working for them:

1: How do you know?  Are you seeing the nVidia HW in Lightroom's System Info printout?

2: If so, please tell me how you made it work!  Or if you aren't sure, tell me which nVida card, OS and driver versions you have?

3: I'm considering an upgrade to Windows 10.  Does anyone think that solve the problem or make it worse?

• 9. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                        Rwolf01 Level 1

Hi,  I see the OP marked this as the correct answer but I tried it on my system (Win7Pro-64, Intel HD 4000 grpahics + nVidia GeForce 640M GPU) and  Lightroom's System Info is still saying I'm using the Intel Graphics.

I've updated every driver and the latest build of lightroom 6.6.  I can't get Lightroom to say it's using the nVidia GPU.

• 10. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

If it is of any assistance, here are some screen-clips of my Dell XPS17 NVidia Windows-10 setup.

On this laptop I previously had great trouble. It would frequently BSOD with LR and require a restart.

I completely un-installed the Nvidia drivers and removed them in the Device Manager Display list, then did a clean re-install of NVidia with download from Nvidia. Never a problem since.

ScreenShot004.jpg

ScreenShot001.jpg

ScreenShot003.jpg

ScreenShot002.jpg

• 11. Re: How can I configure which GPU Lightroom 6 is using?
                            BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

Do as I suggested by right-clicking on the Lightroom Icon, select Change Default Graphics Processor and go to the 3D Panel and change the default graphics processor for Lightroom.exe, you may have to search for it before selecting the High-Performance NVIDIA option, as is here in this image for a different application:

Dual GPU NVIDIA.jpg