8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 4:29 PM by derikl19027712

LR Export Color Troubles

derikl19027712

All... I need your help!

I'm getting very different colors when I export from LightRoom to JPG. I shoot in RAW. I import direct from the camera to LightRoom. I have LR set to sRGB color space, I've calibrated my Dell 30 inch monitors with a Spyder5Pro and I've tried soft proofing ON and OFF. Still, when I export to JPG (in sRGB at 100 quality) I get very different colors. I've attached a screenshot with LightRoom open and an exported JPG next to it. This is the CLOSEST I can get the two pictures --- you should see where I started from. Needless to say, I can't spend hours in LightRoom adjusting white balance, tint, exposure, vibrance and such if all my JPG exports are going to look completely different. I'm going to throw my Nikon D810 (and the Trinity of Lenses) into the garbage pretty soon and go back to shooting with the cell phone!!!! Help...

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using?

What image viewer are you using to view the exported JPG?

For your "proof preview" which device is being mimicked?

• 2. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
            derikl19027712 Level 1

Thanks for taking a look at this!

I'm on Windows 8.2 and I'm viewing the JPGs in both Picasa and Windows Viewer. I've also uploaded the JPG to OneDrive just to see how the file looks there -- same problem. I'm not sure on the "emulation" in proofing, but it looks identical in LightRoom with soft proofing off.  In soft proofing, I have it set to sRGB just to be sure it matches the output (or that was the hope).

• 3. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
              derikl19027712 Level 1

***UPDATE:  Ok, I started viewing the JPG in different programs and what I've found is that the over-saturation occurs when viewing in Picasa and the Win8.2 built-in "Photos" viewer, but when I open the JPG in the old "Windows Photo Viewer" Or in Photoshop (obviously), the picture looks correct!

So this no longer appears to be an EXPORT problem, but rather a viewer problem. It's amazing to see the huge difference and i'm wondering what friends and family see when i send pics OR what it looks like when they print it out at Target... They must think i'm color blind!!

Still would love to know how to "address" this seeing it's no longer a "fix"

Thanks!

• 4. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I'm not familiar with your monitor, but the high-end Dells are usually wide gamut, looks like you've got one of those.

What you're seeing is typical for viewing images in applications that are not color manged on a wide gamut monitor.

Most people don't have WGMs, so they'll probably see the correct image. (more or less)

If you export for the web, your images will display correctly in most browsers (except IE, which has broken color management), even on WGMs, as long as you export in sRGB.

• 5. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
                  derikl19027712 Level 1

As I dig into this "problem", I believe you have it right -- Wide Gamut is the issue.

I have three Dell 30 inch 3014s. I just pulled up the JPG on my laptop and it looks correct there. Amazing that a more expensive monitor is going to make my life harder! Ha!!!

• 6. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The trick is to use image viewers and web browsers that are properly color managed.

That would rule out all the win7 utilities by Microsoft and IE11. Maybe win8 and win10 are corrected? I am betting against win8.

• 7. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The Windows 7 Photo Viewer is actually color managed, but has an awful light blue background.

I use IrfanView,

• 8. Re: LR Export Color Troubles
                        derikl19027712 Level 1

Thanks!

What I find astonishing is that Google Chrome actually produces the correct colors/saturation, but Google Picasa (which is google's DEDICATED photo platform) can't handle the JPG/wide gamut issue... ?!?  seriously?  It's the same company... can't they pull over the color management or whatever? Ha...

I use Picasa because it plays nicely with my two desktops and my two laptops all logged into the same Picasa account.  Looks like I need a new photo viewer/library.  I will check out IrfanView (and maybe see if Flickr is a replacement for Picasa).