4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 12:46 PM by sstaaara

Can't view LR metadata modifications on Windows Explorer? What gives?

sstaaara

Hi all,

This is my first question to the community, I searched for the answer to this problem here and elsewhere but not able to find out why, hope you can help.

I'm coming to grips with managing data in LR but I've stumbled upon a snag. I'm using LR 5.7 and adding metadata to CR2 and JPG files and wanted to check whether the metadata modifications showed up on Windows Explorer. It appears as if they don't. My workflow is detailed below, could you point out if I'm missing anything?

What I did was fill some IPTC and EXIF fields on LR 5.7 and click on "save metadata to file". The fields I added data to was headline and description (IPTC), user comment (EXIF) and title and caption fields (Lightroom's own fields I presume).

However the metadata I added does not display on Windows Explorer (upon right click/properties/details). I'm using Windows 7 and MS website says Explorer is able to display IPTC and EXIF fields. This however does not seem to be the case. Did anyone else come across this problem or am I doing sth wrong.

To test it further I modified Title, Subject and Comments fields on Windows Explorer (through file properties/details tab),.I don't know whether these fields are an official part of IPTC or EXIF standards but they don't display on LR either.

• 1. Re: Can't view LR metadata modifications on Windows Explorer? What gives?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

My Windows File Explorer (8.1) does show some of the metadata that LR 5.7 writes, but not all.  I no longer have access to Windows 7, but I'm certain that it does too.  LR 5.7 will also read metadata written by Windows Explorer. 

Some general caveats:

- Be sure to Save Metadata To File in LR, or better, set the option Edit > Catalog Settings > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

- When you make changes to metadata outside of LR, be sure to Read Metadata From File to get it back into LR.

- When you make changes with the Explorer Properties window, make sure you click OK or Apply.

- Use the free Exiftool if you want to examine metadata authoritatively.  Virtually every other program, including LR, Windows Explorer, and OS X Finder, has significant problems and limitiations with metadata. 

I can't explain all that you're seeing.  If you can't figure it out using Exiftool, then I suggest taking a sample pic you've written with LR, upload it to Dropbox or similar, and post the link here; we can take a look.

The LR metadata fields you mentioned map to these industry-standard fields:

Title > XMP:Title, IPTC:ObjectName

Caption, Description > EXIF:ImageDescription, XMP:Description, IPTC:Caption-Abstract

Headline > XMP:Headline, IPTC:Headline

User Comment > EXIF:UserComment

Windows File Explorer doesn't show Headline, and it has somewhat different mappings for Title.  You can experiment for yourself with Exiftool.

• 2. Re: Can't view LR metadata modifications on Windows Explorer? What gives?
            sstaaara Level 1

Thank you Johnrellis. It seems the problem is indeed a little more intricate. Metadata changes to CR2 files are saved in an XMP file, as expected. However, after checking the files with Exiftool, it seems that Lightroom does not save metadata edits to JPG files. Note that "automatically write changes into XMP" setting checked.

I have a hunch that this is because, CR2 and JPG files share the same name. As they were shot on a Canon D40, and the camera was set to generate both CR2 raw file and a JPG file, the two files show up as a single entity in LR library even if they are two separate files. LR displays the file type as CR2+JPEG below the file name. LR saves changes to metadata of this entity, however, only to an XMP file and not to JPG file metadata.

Modifying metadata of seperate JPG images behaves as expected, metadata changes are written in JPG files. Checked it with Exiftool.

Does anyone in the community know if LR is behaving as expected here, is it supposed to write metadata only to XMP files when a RAW (CR2) and a JPG file with the same name is present?

• 3. Re: Can't view LR metadata modifications on Windows Explorer? What gives?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              Does anyone in the community know if LR is behaving as expected here, is it supposed to write metadata only to XMP files when a RAW (CR2) and a JPG file with the same name is present?

I think that's been the long-term behavior of LR when a raw and a .jpg are imported together as a single image. 

The setting Preferences > General > Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos controls whether a raw and JPEG of the same name get imported as a single image or two images.  If you want them as separate images, check that option.  You can retroactively separate raws and JPEGs already imported into your catalog by selecting a parent folder in the Folders pane and doing Synchronize.   If you do separate them, you can use the Syncomatic plugin to copy metadata from the raws to the JPEGs.

• 4. Re: Can't view LR metadata modifications on Windows Explorer? What gives?
                sstaaara Level 1

Thank you a ton, johnrellis. I was trying to pinpoint this behavior for so long, and your words have been the most succinct and to the point. Since you've also introduced me to exiftool I'll take a shot at learning how to copy XMP metadata into JPG files from there

Again, thank you so much.