3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 4:54 AM by Peter Spier

Master indd

emiliee31580385

Hello,

I can't figure out how to get the empty blocks I've created on the master documents to appear on the other ones (that are issued from this same master).

I haven't used any layout since Xpress so forgive my question if it's a basic. I've tried the helps but can't understand the override stuff. Actually my indd version is in french which doesn't help.

Would anybody be kind enough as to give me a clue ?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Master indd
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In many, if not most, cases, empty frames on master pages are actually more of a hindrance than a help.

ID is very different from Quark in how it treats master page objects. To "Place" content into an empty master frame on your document page you simply click the loaded place gun cursor inside the empty frame (you'll see the cursor change to be surrounded by parentheses). If you want to paste, or type, however, you must override the frame first by holding down Shift and Cmd (Mac) or Shift and Ctrl (PC) and clicking on the master frame.

• 2. Re: Master indd
            emiliee31580385 Level 1

Many thanks Peter.

I'm not sure I get everything but I'll manage mainly knowing that an empty frame isn't a good idea.

So it means that if I made these empty frames in order to get the same style I created (like body) on the master, it's not going to remember it. I've tried to copy and paste holding Apple shift but then it's a complete different layout. But by pasting it and then selecting and applying the body style, it works.

Am I right ? Did I undestand you correctly ?

And what about the linked frames ? Do i have to change everything one by one ?

sorry if it's asking too much, I'll manage with your first answer so don't worry if you don't have the time.

Emilie

• 3. Re: Master indd
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's not so much that empty master frames are a bad idea as that they aren't particularly helpful in most cases. Unlike Quark, ID lets you create a frame on the fly as you place the content, so you don't need to have a frame before you add text or an image, so unless you have a particular need for a master frame -- an image will appear in the same position on many pages or you want two parallel text threads, for example -- they don't provide added value to t the layout and often get in the way of other things you want to do. I generally restrict master frames to things like headers and footers in my work.

The general rule I use is if the frame needs to be overridden to use it then if most likely doesn't need to be on a master page.