3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 6:54 AM by photo-enthusiast

aperture export to lr

Pets73 Level 1

Please help, I have wasted so many weeks and hours trying to export my 44,000, 270 GB image library from Aperture over to Lightroom . It's a nightmare! Nothing works.

First I tried using the built in Aperture importer inside lightroom. It take 8 days to transfer 25% , then it crashed. I did see that it had preserved project structure and keywords. I was storing my masters on a separate toshiba 3.0 bus drive.

I then started a new catalog in Lightroom and tried all over again, this time with a Thunderbolt 2TB drive. The inbuilt aperture import plugin started off a lot more promising, much faster, but after 4 hours of only 5% it seemed to slow down. I cancelled the process. I hoped that I can break it down into smaller chunks by running the plugin again, hoping that Lightroom would be able to detect duplicates and not import them.

However, it did not let me run the plugin a second time.

I have now paid for and downloaded a third party programme called Aperture Exporter. When I ran it however, it seemed to come up with so many errors (not imported CR2 or mov files, for example) that it was hardly worth the try. Need my money back

The next thing I tried was just exporting one project (march photostream, with 800 images) to my desktop in a folder. That also seemed to have an error or two, but when I imported into LIghtroom, it seemed not to recognise that there was already a 2015 folder there, so it put the images losely in date subfolders, but not in the pre-existing year 2015! ARRGHHH!!!! So I don't think it recognised duplicates (but I'm not sure yet).

What am I to do>??? I just want my photos in one place!!! Not Photos, not Aperture, but LIGHTROOM!!!!

It should not be this difficult - i dont even care anymore about my aperture keywords, edits or anythihg - just the dates going into the right places so I can sort it all out again in Lightroom.

What is a CR2 file anyway.

Please help advise me on the workflow I should be following, which plugin I should try with again, or how to do it manually but quickly. I have very little time!!!

• 1. Re: aperture export to lr
          Pets73 Level 1

And can somebody tell me how to get LR to put the dated sub-folders into the correct year folders? They seem to be either missing the year completely or going into another year folder like this:

2015 (existing)

2015-01-01 (existing)

2015-01-23 (existing)

etc

but any photo subsequently imported of the date 2015-01-01 or 23 (for example) DOESN't GO into the 2015 folder, it want to go separately without a containing 2015 folder. And if I try to direct it into the 2015 folder, it wants to create ANOTHER subfolder called 2015.

• 2. Re: aperture export to lr
            Giordano - ACP Italy Adobe Community Professional

Hi Pets73,

Here detailed steps for mouving your photo from Aperture to Lightroom Moving from Aperture to Lightroom – Lightroom Solutions – John Beardsworth, but you have a huge catalog and you consider the strength of your computer to perform this operation.

• 3. Re: aperture export to lr
              photo-enthusiast Level 1

Pets73 wrote:

It should not be this difficult - i dont even care anymore about my aperture keywords, edits or anythihg - just the dates going into the right places so I can sort it all out again in Lightroom.

What is a CR2 file anyway.

Please help advise me on the workflow I should be following, which plugin I should try with again, or how to do it manually but quickly. I have very little time!!!

But it is difficult, so we have to make concessions.  For me, I'm waiting while Adobe slowly figures it out, or Apple adds a few essential features in Photos.

A CR2 file is a Canon raw file.  You will want your raw files, as well as any "previews" to preserve the *results* of your edits.

With 44,000 images, I highly suggest you slow down, read guides, and test.  I have 2-3 times the images you do, and am doing just that.  You don't want to make mistakes, and the migration is a one-way process!  Apple still supports Aperture.

Along those lines, most of the flexibility you have with file naming, locations, tagging, previews, etc. can only be done in Aperture before the migration.  Wish I could provide you with a checklist, but it is different for everyone.  My draft script is 30-40 items long already.

John's guide that Giodano pointed to you is among the best, but in addition to the Adobe-advertised limitations, here still are unresolved issues with importing (corruption and unknown), GPS data, copying previews, and face tags.  LR6 now has faces, but we don't know if Adobe will add face tagging to the migration process.

So what do you do?

I'd suggest continuing to use Aperture.  If you know you're moving to LR, then begin using it for your new images.  Hold off on the migration for now.

Ideal?  Not in the slightest.  LR has great features for editing photos, but the UI and DAM capabilities, compared with Aperture, are subpar, at best.  So pick an approach that works for you.