1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2015 9:34 AM by andrewfreeman

Please help - "painting" with exposure - looks diff on diff screens

faithk08

Hi, all. I'm really in need of help on this one. I'm not understanding how this photo is looking different on different screens. Mostly once I upload it to Facebook, but I've seen this also when looking on my husband's laptop. I shot the image on a wrinkly with background, so in post, I go and paint those with a brush and overexpose them to make it look completely white. (Is there an easier way to do this? I don't have flash yet, so lighting my background won't quite work.)

Anyways, back to the main issue. I am super confused as to why this is happening. Here are the two images. First is what it looks like after export, and the second is a download from the Facebook post, so the quality is pretty horrible, but you get the idea of what's happening.

Please help. FYI, when I use the "show mask overlay" it is showing me painting perfectly, none on the arms, and painted perfectly right up to the arm. I am super picky about that and making sure it goes where I want it.

_DSC0166c.jpg

10995554_740624979391634_6790689874201037494_n.jpg

• 1. Re: Please help - "painting" with exposure - looks diff on diff screens
          andrewfreeman Level 3

Hi, I presume what you are refering to is the grey "ghosting" effect around the head etc, and arm and grey area in general that I've (roughly) highlighted below?

Untitled.png

This is a combination of several factors:

1) The primary reason is that the areas are not actually pure white. If you move your cursor around in the areas in the develop module you'll notice under the histogram that each of the RGB values are not at 100. This means, in your case as it is a B+W image, they are some shade of grey.

2) When saving as a JPG, the image gets compressed and you'll get a degree of posterization.

3) Uploading to FB will compress the image even further, the posterization will get posterized even more making the effect even worse and more noticable

4) FB resizing the image to a smaller size to fit on the page exaggerates the appearance of the posterization effect.

To cure the problem you will need to increase the exposure around the area in question, so either increase the exposure, or if this is not possible, right click on the push pin and select duplicate, and it will create another brush overlay directly over the existing brush. Tweak the exposure until the RGB values are each at 100.

Try and avoid wrinkly backgrounds in the future if you can it saves a lot of hassle :-)