3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 8:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Why do my h.264 videos crash when editing?

hopeless nerd

I bought Bandicam but I'm not certain it's that as much as it's the H.264 codec that Adobe Premiere Elements 8 doesn't like.  The recorded clips cause Adobe to crash as soon as I try to do anything with the file after importing it. 

I've read somewhere that the Adobe needs constant bit rate video and indeed when I switched Bandicam over to MotionJPEG mode, the resulting video doesn't crash Adobe, but that import video isn't as good in quality either.

I came across this support doc https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/supported-file-formats-premiere-elements.htm l that shows that Elements can handle H.264 imports, but doesn't really say which versions.  Is it my version 8 that doesn't support H.264 but later versions do?

I'm a complete novice to video editing and it seems I have to fix this under the hood issue before I can even get going.  Help! 

• 1. Re: Why do my h.264 videos crash when editing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

hln

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 8 running?

Now the usual drive for Premiere Elements 8 users:

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program?

2. Do you have the automatic background and AutoAnalzyer features of the program turned off?

3. Does the problem persist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

What is the file extension that goes with the H.264 video compression?

What did you switch to: MotionJPEG.avi? If so, when you did that did you take in consideration for bitrate? The MotionJPEG video codec is one of the more problematic video codecs for Premiere Elements.

Xvid.avi or AVCHD.avi or H.264.avi should not be used with Premiere Elements...bad news.

Do you have a variable instead of constant frame rate? If you do, did you take your video into a free program such as HandBrake to get a H.264.mp4 file with constant (not variable) frame rate but with other properties similar to the originals?

HandBrake

https://handbrake.fr/

Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 update

Please review and consider, and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why do my h.264 videos crash when editing?
            hopeless nerd Level 1

OK!

I'm running Windows 7 on a hi performance desktop computer.

1. I sought out and ran the latest update after the install.

2 . I think I did come across and turn off AutoAnalyzer.  I'll check for the other.

3.  I don't think my Avast! is disturbed or interfering in all this, but I'll keep an eye.

I've recorded using H.264 in both .avi and .mp4 wrappers.

I switched to MotionJPEG.avi based on Bandicam support documentation suggesting the change when Premiere won't accept H.264.

The Motion JPEG settings have a quality setting from 10-100 which I have set to 100 @ 30fps - audio set to Stereo @ 48000Hz PCM.  I'm not seeing a bitrate setting here.  Here's their support page on it http://www.bandicam.com/support/settings/video/#video_format

It's too bad that Premiere Elements doesn't like H.264.  It's a way for my hi dollar video card to use it's GPU to record video, offloading the CPU.

Thanks for the Handbrake tip,.. as a video editing noobie, I was wondering where that much lauded tool might come in useful!

Edit: This is one of my first videos.  There was a wide black border around it but I let the Youtube editor remove it.  I don't know what I did for it to be rubberbanding like that,.. I told them it was hip...

• 3. Re: Why do my h.264 videos crash when editing?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

hln

Hope all is going well with your Premiere Elements projects. I was cleaning up my computer emails when I came across my unsent reply to your last post (May 3, 2015). Even though it is now 2 months later, my reply might be of interest. The following is what I wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Just in case mention....although Premiere Elements may support a given video compression or a given file extension (container/wrapper format), it may not support the combination of the two.

Whereas you can see Premiere Elements support listed for video compressions H.264 or AVCHD video (MP4 AVC/H.264) and support listed the file extension .avi, it does not support that particular combination of H.264 or AVCHD.avi. But, even though you do not want to use H.264 or AVCHD.avi for Premiere Elements, H.264.mp4 or AVCHD.mp4 should be supported by your Premiere Elements.

The variable frame rate instead of constant seems to be a problem for several versions of Premiere Elements. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video with the variable frame rate.

MotionJPEG is a curious matter. Premiere Elements can have problems with that video compression which typically comes with an .avi file extension. Focus video codec here. Often the remedies for that issue

a. download and install a utility that came with the camera that recorded the video with the MotionJPEG video compression to supply the right video codec

b. purchase, download, and install a MotionJPEG video codec from an online vendor

c. convert the MotionJPEG.avi to another format such as H.264.mp4.

The free HandBrake program is suggested as a software to deal with any variable frame rate issue as well as problems where conversion to H.264.mp4 would be indicated. Also, in evaluating this software, please remember to consider adjusting HandBrake bitrate as well as the other video properties of concern.

ATR

Best wishes

ATR