6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 2:59 PM by lkjhssdf

ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?

lkjhssdf Level 1

I Just "upgraded" from my old lightroom (I think it was 5.6) to the new "CC" version as I have the subscription.  It is unusable.

In LR5, everything was instant.  E.g. If I scrolled from one thumbnail at the bottom to the next using the right arrow, the new pic comes up instantly, even if I have just imported them, or its an old image I last viewed 5 years ago. Every single action is instant.

I install LR CC this morning, and upgraded my cats.  Now it takes a full 7 seconds to move from one image to the next in any view, even if I just viewed that image.

Applying any effect takes seconds, instead of being instant.

As there are no features I need in CC, I want to go back to the super fast LR 5. How do I convert my cat back, and how to I get hold of the old version of LR?

My system spec is 32GB ram with 8GB ram cache for temp.

twin 1TB M550 SSDs (one for data, one for apps).

2.7GHz i7 Quad core.

30" IPS panels using displayport

Quadro K2000M 2GB workstation Graphics.

Will all new LR versions be as slow as CC, i.e. should I cancel my subscription and stay with 5.6?

• 1. Re: ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On my Windows 7 computer I haven't experienced any difference in performance nor have I had any other problems with Lightroom CC. Have you tried turning off GPU acceleration in your Lightroom preferences to see if that makes a difference? Yes, I know that you have a supercomputer with a high-powered graphics card (I guess, But I'm not really out of all these new graphics cards). Try making that change in your preferences and see if it helps.

• 2. Re: ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Disable the GPU acceleration in LR / Prefs / Performance area and see if that helps.  When it is enabled, the GPU is used to compute the on-screen image in Develop and on some systems this is slower.

Also, try changing the LR’s process priority from Normal to Below Average and see if that changes how things work.

• 3. Re: ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Disable the GPU acceleration in LR / Prefs / Performance area and see if that helps.  When it is enabled, the GPU is used to compute the on-screen image in Develop and on some systems this is slower.

Also, try changing the LR’s process priority from Normal to Below Average and see if that changes how things work.

• 4. Re: ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?
                lkjhssdf Level 1

The forum wont let me edit my question, so here is an update

Its worse than I thought.  Much worse. e.g.

If I click on the "crop" icon in develop mode, it "hangs" a full 2 seconds before the crop grid comes up and you can do anything. 5.6 was instant.

If I take 3 images, all with no adjustments (just photos taken with my RX100). If I go to image 2 using right arrow, it takes 7 seconds.  Now back to image 1, takes 5 seconds. Back to image 2, instant.  Back to image 1, instant.  Right arrow to image, 3, takes 7 seconds to come up.  Back to image, 2, instant. Back to image 1, 7 seconds again.  How can anyone use this, or am I the only person who had lightening performance with any size cat on LR 5, but is unsably slow on LRCC? 

Perhaps the problem is that my cat is quite big, and LR 5 handles this, and LRCC cant?

From the windows 8.1 performance monitor, I see that my HD is not being used at all, but two of the 8 cores are peaking up to 80%, with a total CPU usage of around 25%.

Nothing else running.

I have been using LR almost every day since it came out, and have never seen an update this bad.

• 5. Re: ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Size of the catalog isn't relevant. Did you try the suggestion of turning off GPU acceleration?

• 6. Re: ligthtroom CC is unusably slow - how do I go back to 5.6?
                    lkjhssdf Level 1

The only performance option I can see is for "camera raw".  As i don't use raw pictures from the camera, only jpegs, I assumed this option was irrelevant.

However, I noticed that it was set to the Intel Graphics 4000, not theQuadro k2000M.  So I switched the graphics processor from the "integrated" to the £300 dedicated graphics card, and the performance certainly increased, but still totally unacceptable.  E.g. to switch from one image to the next reduced from 7s to around 3s with the Quadro.  This is odd as I don't use camera raw.

I tried the suggestion of disabling the graphics processor for camera raw, and this has indeed made a significant performance boost.  Now it takes around 1s to change images, vs. instant with 5.6

I have found that 5.6 is still installed on the machine, and have rescued an old backup of my cat file.  i have lost a days work, but now I am back to instant response times.