10 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 8:56 AM by thedigitaldog

LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In

BigMouse Level 1

What the heck? Purchased an upgrade to perpetual LR6 from perpetual LR5, solely for the new Nikon camera support. Purchased from this adobe site. It has been updated to 6.0.1, validated and serialized. Still to this day, if I sign out, when launching LR6 requires sign-in and validation. And, the screen first states that it is a 30 day trial version.

Has anyone else experienced this same thing? Has it been rectified? Do you even know if you are signed in at all times?

For perpetual license customers of LR6.  Under the help tab there is a sign out option. Have you ever signed out? What happens when you relaunch LR6?

• 1. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to be signed into the desktop application manager. However, that doesn't require you to be connected to the Internet. Don't ask why. That's just the way it is.

• 2. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
            BigMouse Level 1

What is a desktop application manager?

• 3. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
              BigMouse Level 1

None of the other software companies of any type require a desktop application manager be running and signed in to.

• 4. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                SojiOkita

Are you sure about that?

I thought the CC application could be removed when you purchased LR6.

I just want to have Lightroom 6 installed... not anything else... is it possible?

• 5. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                  richardplondon Level 4

BigMouse wrote:

None of the other software companies of any type require a desktop application manager be running and signed in to.

I can think of several which require something of the same nature, if not of the same name.

In effect, this is surely no different than activating and de-activating the software license on a particular computer, by talking to the software provider's online server?

Online access is only necessary when something changes - in order to activate or deactivate a given instance of the software; as distinct from installing or uninstalling that. In the case of a lost or damaged computer that cannot be de-activated, one talks to the software company to obtain another activation for its replacement.

Some companies manage this activation, as an alternative, by allowing the manual entry of a long authorisation code. That does answer a number of fair criticisms of Adobe's chosen method (e.g., no internet access at all is needed for the PC in question); but is not nearly so convenient.

• 6. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                    BigMouse Level 1

To SojiOkita....I have stated how the new LR6 has installed and behaves on my system. I highly doubt that it has to do with anything on my end. I ihave followed many alternative fix suggestions but still it works as stated.

To richardplondon....There may be other companies that like to have some sort of control as you have stated. With all others that I have purchased, I disable their autorun in the start menu and have no problems. The problem here is adobe specific.

A customer purchases a "stand alone" product from the manufacturer. The customer, after many attempts and interaction with the community forum and adobe chat for hours, finally gets the program loaded, launched and activated. That should be the end of story ,yes?  Well no it is not. Even with the stand alone, perpetually licensed, honestly purchased product, the customer has limited usage of the said product. We have enough invasions of our lives from Government Agencies and hackers. Certainly we don't need or want software producers to get into our bedroom also. It takes just one adobe employee with a grudge to access customers operating systems without their knowledge, due to this connection to adobe. Or, just one hacker to get into adobe site and as a result gain access too adobe customer's affairs. If that is ok with you, then go with it. For me, NO.

• 7. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                      thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

BigMouse wrote:

A customer purchases a "stand alone" product from the manufacturer. The customer, after many attempts and interaction with the community forum and adobe chat for hours, finally gets the program loaded, launched and activated. That should be the end of story ,yes? 

No, not really, not traditionally. Photoshop and all the other modern perpetual licensed "stand alone" products since the introduction of Adobe Activation have phoned home on a regular basis. Photoshop CS5, CS6 etc.

• 8. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is not a CC application manager, but a desktop application manager. This is something new in LR6. It doesn't require that you are connected to the Internet, but you need to be signed into the desktop application manager. I have gleaned that information from others who are more knowledgeable than I am (i.e. the Lightroom Queen). I'm using LR CC, so I have no further information for you.

• 9. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                          BigMouse Level 1

thedigitaldog wrote "No, not really, not traditionally. Photoshop and all the other modern perpetual licensed "stand alone" products since the introduction of Adobe Activation have phoned home on a regular basis. Photoshop CS5, CS6 etc

Can you define traditionally? No other software on my computer has to phone home for any reason. OpticsPro certainly does not. Of all the attempts to "have a phone home" setup, adobe is the only one I have run across that cannot be disabled in the startup menu. The fact that a customer has to "phone home" from a stand alone product defies the definition of stand alone. If adobe does not want to have stand alone, perpetually licensed, then so be it. But to sell it as such and then require phone home is bull crap.

thedigitaldog, please reread my original posting and believe these words. If not for the crappy rollout, installation, user issues, failed validation and serializing, I wouldn't be here involved in this dialog.

To this very moment I cannot log out and relaunch LR6  without having to sign back in and revalidate a 30 day trial. How many times does it take to validate until finally it is valid?

• 10. Re: LR6 Perpetual Must Remain Signed In
                            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

BigMouse wrote:

Can you define traditionally?

For Adobe, since they started Activation. So for Photoshop, that goes to first version of the Creative Suite.