7 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 9:21 PM by A.T. Romano

type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed

lisaf3292378

Any help is so appreciated - I am not very tech savy at all .  Trying to place some photos onto a video in Premiere Elements 9 and some pictures easily drag down and then others I receive the response type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed.  The pictures that won't move down seem to be all over the size of 4.00mb or around there.  I am on windows 7

any help!!

• 1. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lisaf

Is your computer operating system Windows 7 32 or 64 bit? Are you getting any error messages which specifically state that the image is too large? Or, are you just getting that "not support/codec missing" worded error message. What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are using?

Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of 9? What is the project preset in the new project dialog when you open the project? Do you leave the default NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard or do you set the project preset to something else?

Were any of these photos edited in Photoshop to have the CMYK color profile? Are these photos jpeg, tif, psd, or other?

Let us start here and then decide what next. If you have questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
            lisaf3292378 Level 1

Thank you so much for any help!!  Desperate - really just trying to do this simple video for a sport banquet and it has turned into a full time job to research how to make one!

Thanks

• 3. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lisaf

Thanks for the reply.

Please gather the information requested and then we can put it together to find the way to get you moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

As I said, if you need clarification, please let me know. I will rewrite if necessary.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
                lisaf3292378 Level 1

ATR -

did you not see my replies in my last email - I did gather all the information and put in the email.  I can redo the answers if need be - please let me know how to reply the answers so you can see them

Thanks so much!

Lisa

• 5. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
                  lisaf3292378 Level 1

ATR

Here are the replies

I am on Windows 7 64 bit operating system

the message is as stated "type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

Pixel images are on an average 5472W x 3648H - 72 dpi - I hope that is what you are asking for

9.0.1 update of premiere elements

Project preset at NTSC-DV-Standard 48khz

All pictures were just in my windows picutres - I had edited some but not all of them for sure and can't move over either - jpeg files

definitely are the bigger picture files that I can not move over!

I hope this helps!  What I thought would be a simple thing to start for the first time and learn has turned into a nightmare!  I just wanted to make a simple video for a sport banquet. thanks for any help!

• 6. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

lisaf

Thanks for the information. I think I know the core of the issue.

It is the 5472 x 3648 3:2 sizing of those photos that is generating the error message

5472 3648 Error Message.JPG

I just took a 5472 x 3648 jpg into a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project set for NTSC DV Standard and got the same error message that you are getting.

Video is either 4:3 or 16:9 and your photos are 3:2, an aspect ratio used for prints. Your photos are grossly oversized for the project and the aspect ratio 3:2 is not a video aspect ratio. But, I believe the major issue is the size of the jpg..

You should consider the cropping the photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9. How many of these photos are involved? Do you have Photoshop Elements?

Then use the 1920 x 1080 photos...

Suggestion...In New Project Dialog

Set Project Preset to

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Export

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HD720p30

Then we adjust that preset to 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

That will give us a MPEG2.mpg file 1920 x 1080 @29.97 progressive frames per second.

MPEG2.JPG

I can suggest another route for a H.264.mp4, but we will leave that for another time.

Do not get overwhelmed by all this. This is an overview, and we can do step by step through it at whatever pace you want.

First order of business is getting those photos resized....explore the Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool first, one photo at a time.

We can go through how that is done also.

ATR

• 7. Re: type of file not supported, or the required codec is not installed
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lisaf

Your issue is the size of the jpg photos. I just took a 5472 x 3648 3:2 jpg into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit and got the same error message that you reported.

5472 3648 Error Message.JPG

Please crop those jpg photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9. If you have Photoshop Elements 9 Editor, explore using its Crop Tool for this purpose.

We can talk about setting up the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

and exporting as a MPEG2.mpg file or H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080@ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Because Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application under the circumstances, you are going to compromise your computer resources using these grossly oversized photos for the project and lots of them even if they import.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR