9 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 8:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is my video cropped?

lorit60060118

The video I'm trying to edit is already cropped in the preview window. It's like the aspect ratio is off, but when I adjust those settings I just see zoomed-in/out versions of the aspect. When I play the video on Cyberlink, it looks fine, but in Primiere it's cropped. What is going on?

• 2. Re: Why is my video cropped?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lorit

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Important question which just might cut to the core of the issue...is your video .mod widescreen? This question is particularly important if you are using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 but has less negative aspects for Premiere Elements versions earlier than 13/131.

If .mod widescreen is not involved in your issue, then please tell us

1. What project preset? If you do not know, please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings, General.

2. What are the properties of your source video? Do these properties match the description of the project preset that was set for the project?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why is my video cropped?
            lorit60060118 Level 1

I have Elements 13 and I just ran the latest update.

Windows 8.

Video is coming in as VOD (which I understand to be the same as an mpeg?) off of a homemade DVD.

When I get home I will check more settings.

• 4. Re: Why is my video cropped?
              lorit60060118 Level 1

Also, he used a set-top stand alone DVD recorder to copy the video as it played on a t.v.

• 6. Re: Why is my video cropped?
                lorit60060118 Level 1

Here are the properties.

• 7. Re: Why is my video cropped?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lorit

Thanks for the additional details.

I think that there may have been a typing error in the detail where you wrote that you were given VOD file rather than a VOB file.

Video is coming in as VOD (which I understand to be the same as an mpeg?) off of a homemade DVD.

The classic DVD video file uses MPEG2 compression with a VOB file extension.

And, the classic DVD video file's frame rate is 720 x 480 (for NTSC standard or widescreen) and 720 x 576 (for PAL standard or widescreen)

What you show in your screenshot is a file with a VOB file extension, probably the MPEG2 video compression with the VOB file extension.

But, you have an atypical frame rate and pixel aspect ratio for this file.So from the Premiere Elements perspective this would not be considered homemade.

Bottom line is that, whatever program produced what was given you, you have an atypical file for Premiere Elements.

My suggestion would be to ask the sender to resend the video files in the classical acceptable (compliant) DVD video format 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). Please discuss this with the sender of the files. I am not sure what can be done with this file even if considering conversion of it to MPEG2.mpg with a free 3rd party software.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why is my video cropped?
                    lorit60060118 Level 1

Thank you. Yes that was mistyped, it is VOB.

I noticed that the frame rate and pixel aspect were not matching up with anything within Elements.

Your comments were very helpful. I know what I need to do now. Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Why is my video cropped?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lorit

Thanks for the follow up.

I just noticed that I made a typing error in my post 7 when I wrote

And, the classic DVD video file's frame rate is 720 x 480 (for NTSC standard or widescreen) and 720 x 576 (for PAL standard or widescreen)

I was talking about frame size and wrote frame rate. Sorry about that. I cannot go back and edit that. I do not have those privileges, so I will correct in the following

And, the classic DVD video file's frame size is 720 x 480 (for NTSC standard or widescreen) and 720 x 576 (for PAL standard or widescreen)

When I saw that frame size of 540 x 480, I was almost sure you were dealing with .mod widescreen footage issue in Premiere Elements 13/13.1. You surprised me with the DVD video files with the VOB file extension.

Best wishes moving forward in your projects. Hope that you can work out the details on the origin of those files. If your schedule permits, please let us know the outcome and if we can be of any assistance in further troubleshooting.

Thank you.

ATR