3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2015 2:33 PM by rebekahm1027381

Digital Editions 4x has stopped working in Window 8

kelnet63

I have an Acer Switch running Windows 8 and successfully download Adobe Digital Editions 4x and have been using it for some months. All of a sudden it won't open and eventually the message "The program has stopped working and Windows is looking for a solution" comes up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, including shutting the computer down in between. I'm at a loss - any help out there?

• 1. Re: Digital Editions 4x has stopped working in Window 8
          shreya Adobe Employee

Can you please try below steps:

Quit ADE

Take backup of the "My Digital Editions" folder in "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\" (for Windows)

Delete the "My Digital Editions" folder.

Launch ADE

New "My Digital Editions" folder will be created

Now add the books one by one from the backup to the newly created folder.

• 2. Re: Digital Editions 4x has stopped working in Window 8
            kelnet63 Level 1

Hi Shreya. Thank you very much for the option but unfortunately it didn't work. I tried it both with ADE installed (and followed your steps). I also tried to delete the My Digital Editions folder and then install from the download - and nope, nada, nothing. The program opens down on the bottom task bar as if it were running minimized, and it shows in Task Manager (with 0% on the CPU), but the program won't maximize and run. When I try to maximize the program, I get "ADE has stopped working. Please wait while Windows searches for a solution." Followed immediately by a pop up "ADE 4.0 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

So thanks, but that's not the solution to this problem.

• 3. Re: Digital Editions 4x has stopped working in Window 8
              rebekahm1027381

I'm having the exact same problem with the program running in the taskbar, but won't open up and run in Windows 8. I've tried above steps to no avail. If anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate this, I use this program for work!!