8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2007 7:08 AM by Newsgroup_User

Sound falling out of time when I publish?

Simon_Hook_TCG
      Hi - I could really do with some help and would appreciate any advice anyone could give me!
      I've pretty much finished an interactive cd-rom to help promote the company I currently work for.
      Everything is in one project, I've used quite a few swf files and have also included some mp3's
      that are set in time with my main movie, this movie is also an swf file.

Everything seems fine until I publish my movie, when on doing so and then try the project on another
      computer-mac&pc the sound falls very much out of sync with the movie, so much so the movie doesn't
      even play to the end, if cuts off and returns to main menu!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
      Si
        • 1. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
          Level 7
          Are you using cue points, or did you just try to time things out in the
          score? If you're just trying to time things out in the score, then
          it'll never play the same way on two different computers.
          • 2. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
            Simon_Hook_TCG Level 1
            Cue points????

Not at all, have been trying to do it through the score and to be honest I did think it was incredibly difficult for what seemed to be an incredibly logical program!

So this sounds possitive! How do these work?, how do I get into them?, Is there any tutorials you might be able to direct me to - this sounds like this could defiantly solve my problem!

Although it does seem almost pointless having the timeline the way it is if you can't match things up within it - as you'll probably guessed I'm pretty new to this and have use programs like Priemire, AfterEffects and Final Cut Pro in the past
            so was kind of expecting the audio to be simlar within this program but obvously not!!!

Your help greatly apprecaited!!!

Si
            • 3. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
              Level 7
              Hi Si,

I have a tutorial on sound synchronisation with cue points at:
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/sound&inter/tut6.asp

The reason it's so difficult to synchronise using the Score is because Director is
              frame based whereas sound is time based. I'll explain with an example. Say you have
              2 second animation that plays at 15 frames per second. That's 30 frames. Let's look
              at what happens if the computer can't handle that.
              - Frame based tool (Director) will play every frame. So, if CPU can't handle 15
              fps, it may drop it to 10 fps but it will still play every frame. So, your 2 second
              animation is now 3 seconds. The sound is still 2 seconds so gets out of synch with
              the animation.
              - Time based tool (Premiere) - this will play based on a specified time. So, if
              your CPU can't handle 15 fps and needs to play 10 fps as above, it will play only
              10 of the 15 frames each second. So, it drops frames to maintain the right timing.

In Director, you can set a maximum frame rate so it will never play faster than a
              specified fps but you can't guarantee that rate. If you need tight synchronisation
              with sound and animation over an period of time, it may be better to create a
              digital video file that will be time based and will maintain your time
              sychronisation, and inport that video into Director.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
                Level 7
                Hi again.

Just saw you were using swf's. If you're after information on cue points in swfs
                and tools to create it, go to this page:
                http://www.marmalademedia.com.au/flashamp/faq.html#cuepoints

Talks about cue points and the use of FlashAmp. I haven't used this program but the
                site has lots of info on this area.

regards
                Dean

• 5. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
                  Simon_Hook_TCG Level 1
                  Hi Dean,

Thanks very much for getting back to us, you've given us some really helpful advice and I now understand the time issues with Director. So Because this is a short movie I'm thinking the best plan is to try and get a movie that contains both our visuals and audio in snyc so there's no chance they can fall out of time with one another.

I just tried making a movie from within Premiere but on exporting as an animation I loose the tight vector look of our movie and the image becomes distrorted! Is this becuase Premiere is mainly a program for editing footage and not really designed for flash style animation? I choose animation as an export setting as I know if I'd exported as DV-PAL like I would have done if I'd used this at Uni I would still get the same distrotion from the fields.

Am I right in thinking I'm not going to keep the 'flash style crispness' of this animation by exporting from within Premeire?

And so your second suggestion sounds like it could be the key, will this program allow me to sync my audio to my swf file and export a whole movie that includes both, like I planned to do with Premeire?

Once again your help would be greatly appreicated on this, it's pretty frustarting getting this far with a project and having so much trouble to complete it!

Thanks again Dean

Si
                  • 6. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
                    Level 7
                    Why not just put the audio into the SWF in Flash? Then play the single
                    swf in Director and call it a day. It will stay in synch because it is
                    part of the same thing.
                    • 7. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
                      Level 7
                      Mike Blaustein wrote:

> Why not just put the audio into the SWF in Flash? Then play the single
                      > swf in Director and call it a day. It will stay in synch because it is
                      > part of the same thing.

Though Flash is frame based as well. So, while you'd probably get better
                      results with a combined animation-sound swf in Director over a swf and
                      separate audio file playing in Director, you wouldn't guarantee
                      synchronization of the swf.

Anyway, very late here. Bed time for me. Will talk later.

regards
                      Dean

• 8. Re: Sound falling out of time when I publish?
                        Level 7

Simon Hook TCG wrote:

> I just tried making a movie from within Premiere but on exporting as an
                        > animation I loose the tight vector look of our movie and the image becomes
                        > distrorted! Is this becuase Premiere is mainly a program for editing footage
                        > and not really designed for flash style animation? I choose animation as an
                        > export setting as I know if I'd exported as DV-PAL like I would have done if
                        > I'd used this at Uni I would still get the same distrotion from the fields.

What format is the video - AAVI or QuickTime? Did you choose teh Animation Codec at
                        100%? That should give you quite good quality but large file size. If you had less
                        than 100%, you'd get lossy compresion, the type of loss of quality you se ein JPEG
                        images. Thecompression is what make syour graphics look less sharp.

> And so your second suggestion sounds like it could be the key, will this
                        > program allow me to sync my audio to my swf file and export a whole movie that
                        > includes both, like I planned to do with Premeire?

I actually haven't used the second program i mentioned so can't give first hand
                        info on how good it is. It sounds good from the site. But only way to eb sure is to
                        test it.

> Once again your help would be greatly appreicated on this, it's pretty
                        > frustarting getting this far with a project and having so much trouble to
                        > complete it!

Welcome to the world of multimedia development:) You always need to allocate a
                        significant time for testing as you're bound to run into unexpected things.

Anyway, is late here. So I'm off. I'll check this site tomorrow.

regards
                        Dean