1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 10, 2007 11:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

.gif image verses .jpg

P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
      I am working on a .gif image in Fireworks MX and could use a little help. The image is approx. 725 x 400 pixels and I would obviously like the image to load as fast as possible in a web page. The problem I am having is if I make the image have a gradient color, the colors don't blend well when I look at the image in a browser. If I make it a .jpeg instead of a .gif, the colors look great, but wouldn't a jpeg load slower than a gif? Is there a way to optimize the .gif to load on a web page quick, but have great gradient colors? Or am I better off just using a jpeg? Also, is there a correct / incorrect way to slice an image?
        • 1. Re: .gif image verses .jpg
          Level 7
          Hi,

Gradients never look good in gif files. The better they look the more
          colours used = larger file size.

Hard to say without seeing the image, but it sounds like a well optimized
          jpg is the way to go.
          You can use different levels of optimization on different parts of the image
          as well.
          Post a link to the image and you'll get more and better advice... Probably

Peter
          The
          | image is approx. 725 x 400 pixels and I would obviously like the image to
          load
          | as fast as possible in a web page. The problem I am having is if I make
          the
          | image have a gradient color, the colors don't blend well when I look at
          the
          | image in a browser. If I make it a .jpeg instead of a .gif, the colors
          look
          | great, but wouldn't a jpeg load slower than a gif? Is there a way to
          optimize
          | the .gif to load on a web page quick, but have great gradient colors? Or
          am I
          | better off just using a jpeg? Also, is there a correct / incorrect way to
          slice
          | an image?
          |