18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 4:49 PM by Todd Shaner

Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

1. The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition) by Jeff Schewe

2. The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby

3. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC (2015 release) / Lightroom 6 Classroom in a Book (Adobe Press)

4. The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC / Lightroom 6 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening

Some books are not published yet, so you can advise them based on your experiences with the earlier editions.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
          dj_paige Level 10

1, 3 or 4, definitely not 2

Also, you might want to consider The DAM Book if organizing is something that you want to read up on.

• 2. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Thanks Paige ...

I want to buy only one book.

Which one would you advise most?

• 3. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
              dj_paige Level 10

That depends on what you really want to learn the most.

If you want to learn Developing, it's Schewe. If you want to learn organizing, it's The DAM Book. If you want a good overall book that covers the entire program called LR CC/LR 6, then its Evening.

• 4. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                clancyHOME

Why not #2? The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby

• 5. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                  dj_paige Level 10

I do not like any of Kelby's works. I stopped buying them maybe 4 years ago, because I thought they were so awful.

Specifically

• His advice on organizing is way off the mark for most people and just plain poor. Now maybe if you are a professional photographer, Kelby's advice works for you (I don't know since I am not a professional photographer) — but it is awful advice for most everyone else. And ... there are many professional photographers who don't organize the way Kelby says to do.
                  • His books are written as cookbooks. You don't get an understanding of the reasoning and logic underneath. You get a series of steps to follow, and as soon as you wind up in a different situation than the one in the book, then Kelby's series of steps is useless.
                  • I have spoken to several people who went to Kelby's seminar, or read his book, and came away with "knowledge" that was opposite of what is true. It is true that your photos can be stored in any folder on any hard disk; but people came away with the understanding that Lightroom requires the photos to be in a folder with a pre-determined name (I don't remember what it was now) on your Windows C: drive or on your Mac's internal drive, and there were no other places allowed to store your photos.
                  • 6. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                    clancyHOME Level 1

Fair enough...

I was just curious because I just signed up for the Creative Cloud Photography package and just a bit overwhelmed. I'm trying to learn both Lightroom and Photoshop and develop some kind of workflow scenario at the same time. I am looking into which books or online learning sites that might be best. I saw a lot of reviews and recommendations of Kelby's various offerings but was absolutely floored by the pricing for some of the online memberships including kelbyone.com... The depth of information that appears to be offered out there seems endless but I'm not sure some of the pricing is inline with my current budget and commitment. Unfortunately cost is a BIG concern. If you have any options that you would like to share, I would be interested in researching.

Thanks....

• 7. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                      dj_paige Level 10

I understand. Finding the right place to start is difficult. I have two recommendations, at least for Lightroom

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/quickstart/

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

You might also want to describe your overall situation here ... lots of free advice is given out here, and some of it is good advice!

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                        clancyHOME Level 1

dj_paige... Cool Thanks a lot. I will take a look at those.

dj_paige  wrote...

You might also want to describe your overall situation here ... lots of free advice is given out here, and some of it is good advice!

Well you asked for it so here it is... My situation is messy at best. I feel like I used to be a decent analog photographer (hopefully you remember film) I had an old Pentax ME-Super with several lenses to chose from. With that camera I knew what I was going to get 95-99% of the time inside, outside, didn't matter. I even used to do some of my own B&W developing/printing. Great fun! Unfortunately, back in the late 80's, that camera and favorite lens were stolen from my bag on a train while traveling in Europe. I traded the lenses in for a Canon Rebel-X and upgrade the kit lens for something similar but with better optics. Not the best camera, but I got to know it pretty well with 90-95% favorable results. I still have that camera but the lens got dropped and damaged just around the time "Digital" was becoming popular and affordable.

So lets try digital... I do not think I have taken a good picture since. I started with Canon's so called Prosumer PowerShot S30, and although very easy to use, it took crap pictures. I very quickly lost my enthusiasm and for several years took very few pictures, and when I did... all crap. So after several years of bad holiday/vacation pictures, and my near refusal to take another picture, my wife bought me a Canon G9 for my birthday... 12.1 MP, 6x optical zoom, manual mode, RAW+JPEG, etc., seams easy enough to use... maybe, just maybe, I will take my first good digital image, and maybe with some practice, 80-90% success???  Wait, hold-on, not so fast... The G9 is certainly capable of a very good image, but in IMHO, not as easy to use as it should be... Maybe 50% of the shots were what I hoped they would be. So, after a lot of chimping, bracketing, reshooting, more chimping on the so-called "high-resolution" monitor... I became hopeful but am mostly wanting more. About 2 years ago I seriously contemplated the Sony A6000, but price of body and an upgraded non-kit lens it was not in the budget. and the kit lens was ? Then... "who needs a camera we have an iPhone".  Well I never thought much of the iPhone pictures I took until I got an iPhone 6, and it was kind of  "hey that ones not so bad... maybe a little post processing..."

Wait there more... My wife and I just got back from a week in Rome... and I forgot to pack the G9... So now I'm staring at 200+ iPhone photos. Honestly... not as bad as I thought. There is hope for many of them... I'll be optimistic... maybe 60% if taken outdoor or indoor with lucky lighting. Indoor with low-light is an entirely different conversation. I wish I had waited for the iPhone 6s or 7, at least then I could have shot in iOS RAW.

So there you have it, my "overall situation". Free advice PLEASE!!! Any good iPhone presets out there?

• 9. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                          1Tyeeman

What a downer.  I shot film years ago. In those years I've worked with many professionals. They touted digital. They were right.

Digital is the only way to go if you're smart. But when you start talking iPhone photographs... well, maybe you mean "snapshots."

A really good DSLR (i.e.  Nikon D 7200 or D 810) and good lenses will surprise you.  Then again, maybe not.

deu

• 10. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                            dj_paige Level 10

This is an extremely long explanation of your current situation, but it's not  clear how any computer software, or Lightroom specifically, can help you, because based upon my reading, you haven't specifically stated a problem that software can help with. You have stated that some of your cameras produced lousy photos, which seems to me a problem beyond the scope of what we do here.

So what am I missing? Or what haven't you mentioned?

• 11. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What dj_paige said: how can we help?

What problem are you looking to solve - where Lightroom is part of the solution?

• 12. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                KR Seals Level 3

And there is a lot of hot air between the useful information.

• 13. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                  1Tyeeman Level 1

Which book is best for you?  Who knows?  Depends on how you learn.  I've found that some books are way too technical.  Somebooks assume you know something about the subject.  Others will show you how to do something without all the conceptual stuff... figuring that you'll accomplish something and gain greater understanding along the way.  It's hard to find a book for novices that explains "how"and then "why."  dj_paige doesn't like Kelby  Well, I do and I've learned a lot about the "whys" as well as the "how to."  As with most things Adobe, there are so many ways to get something done it's really difficult to say the Kelby gives you wrong information.

As far as the cos is concerned, you pa for what they know, no what they do.

deu

• 14. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                    dj_paige Level 10

1Tyeeman  wrote

... it's really difficult to say the Kelby gives you wrong information.

And yet, I never said "wrong".

I said "awful", "poor", "off the mark". There's a difference.

• 15. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                      1Tyeeman Level 1

You're splitting hairs.  The cumulative of your assessment of Kelby's work is "wrong."  I speak here as a rookie LR person.  As a writer

I am no rookie. ( That noted, I am a lousy typist).  The issue here is "learning."  Frankly, I'm not so sure that Adobe helps people learn.

Julie Kost tutorials are, indeed, somewhat helpful. So is Phil Steele's Training.  But when you are confused because you screwed up, and you're ending with more questions than answers, and you're off-put by the risk of losing your precious pictures, you need someone or something to take you by the hand and lead you out of the morass.  Adobe falls short of this mark.  As do most "self help" books.

You spent 3 paragraphs explaining why you don't care for Kelby's works.  3 sentences would've probably expressed your opinion.

And it is, after all, only your opinion.  I have no interest in any of the books you've mentioned.  But, it's the Kelby book that sits alongside my iMac.  In my experience it has been very helpful. 

• 16. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                        Todd Shaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

clancyHOME  wrote

Well you asked for it so here it is... My situation is messy at best. I feel like I used to be a decent analog photographer (hopefully you remember film) I had an old Pentax ME-Super with several lenses to chose from. With that camera I knew what I was going to get 95-99% of the time inside, outside, didn't matter.

So after several years of bad holiday/vacation pictures, and my near refusal to take another picture, my wife bought me a Canon G9 for my birthday... 12.1 MP, 6x optical zoom, manual mode, RAW+JPEG, etc., seams easy enough to use... maybe, just maybe, I will take my first good digital image, and maybe with some practice, 80-90% success???  Wait, hold-on, not so fast... The G9 is certainly capable of a very good image, but in IMHO, not as easy to use as it should be... Maybe 50% of the shots were what I hoped they would be.

Clancy, there's something wrong if you had trouble getting digital images to match the quality your film camera pictures with the Canon G9 point-and-shoot camera. You don't state specifically what issues you were actually experiencing (composition, bad focus, incorrect exposure, other issues?). I also shot 35mm SLR film cameras with multiple lenses for about 35 years and my first DSLR was the 6 megapixel Canon Digital Rebel with 18-55mm kit lens. I found the results to be quite good even though my first pictures were all in-camera JPEGs. A few months later Lightroom 1.0 was introduced and I started using the Canon CR2 raw files with even better results. I now have three Canon DSLR bodies and lenses ranging from the 8-15mm Fisheye Zoom, 16-35mm, 710-210mm, 50mm Macro, etc.

So here's what I'm leading up to! Back in June of this year I booked a 10-day tour of Italy. After much discussion with my wife and some astute younger photographers they convinced me to leave ALL my DSLR equipment home and bring only a small point-and-shoot camera. OH NO–How will I ever capture the vast Coliseum, Pantheon and all of the other architectural wonders of Italy? Well, I simply shot three or more images with the camera at its widest setting held vertically and then used Photo Merge to Panorama inside LR to stitch them together. I am completely blown away at how good all of the pictures I shot with the Canon G9 X MKII camera turned out! To be sure there are limitations and quality issues when compared to my DSLR equipment, but the tools available inside LR allowed me to correct them and produce stellar results. Here are some pictures from that trip all shot with the tiny Canon G9 X Mark II in CR2 raw file format and processed in LR CC2015.12:

Dropbox - Canon G9 X Mark II Examples

My beliefs on camera equipment required to take exceptionally good pictures has forever been changed! Maybe we can help further if you explain in more detail the issues you're having.

• 17. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                          1Tyeeman Level 1

Your "beliefs?"  In the context of this forum what does that mean?

• 18. Re: Which Lightroom CC book you would advise?
                                            Todd Shaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1Tyeeman  wrote

Your "beliefs?"  In the context of this forum what does that mean?

Belief Synonyms, Belief Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

Expectation, Opinion, Mindset.....that a DSLR with an assortment of lenses is the only way to obtain quality pictures.

Not going to sell my DSLR bodies and lenses any time soon, but I'm now more open-minded as what can be done with a good point-and-shoot or mirrorless camera.