23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2015 7:32 AM by pdxamuse

(Another) Editing on a Laptop

semoff

Hi,

Am I going overboard with this:

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w541/?sb=:00000025:00003AF8:&cc=[:0 0000C33:]&qty=1

I'll be editing 1080p at the highest with Premiere (POSSIBLY two cameras), I'll be sound editing with Audition, I'll be using Photoshop, Illustrator, maybe InDesign.

If it's going overboard, where should I be cutting? Or perhaps where should I be adding? (32 mb RAM?)

Raid is an option with this laptop - is it necessary?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
          semoff Level 1

Oh it looks like the link won't get you to the specs:

Intel core i7 3.8 ghz

Graphics W540 NVIDIA Quadro K1100M 2G

Memory 16 gb

Internal RAID-Non Enabled to Not Raid Capable (I'm guessing this means I don't have Raid with this set up?)

HD: 500 GB 7200, 2.5"

• 2. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
            JEShort01 Level 4

When I click on your link (looks Canadian), I cannot see any of the system specs at all. I can only make out that it is a Thinkpad model # w541 which has a wide range of configuration specs.

You may need to list all the specs. here if you want anyone to comment on you post.

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
              semoff Level 1

I just did above!

I'm now thinking of:

THinkpad W541

Intel i7 4910MQ

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K2100M 2G

Memory: 16 (2 DIMM)

• 4. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                semoff Level 1

with substorage of RAID

• 5. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                  JEShort01 Level 4

This looks like a decent and balanced spec. if you are set on going with a "main" business laptop manufacturer (Dell, HP, Lenovo).

For your price point, the forum favorite seems to be the ROG gamers laptops from Asus.

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                    semoff Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I see a lot of ASUS ROGs with 16 or less of RAM. I'm assuming I'd need at least 16. Should I be concentrating on getting 32 RAM or getting a GeForce graphics card over the Quadro, which I've been reading isn't that great... Finding a computer with both within my price point has been difficult...

SEM

• 7. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Here's the deal with that Quadro K2100M:

1) It is based on a Kepler (not Maxwell) GK106 GPU – the same CPU that was used on the desktop GeForce GTX 660 and GTX 650 Ti parts. However, the K2100M has only 576 of the 960 CUDA cores enabled at manufacturing level. This reduces performance significantly.

2) The memory bandwidth of the K2100M is only 128 bits wide, and its effective memory clock is only 3000 MHz. This gives that GPU a memory throughput of only 48 GB/second, which is quite lousy by current standards.

• 8. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                        JEShort01 Level 4

If you are price sensitive, then stay away from HP and anything with a Quadro card!

This thread is not very recent, but it talks about typical Adobe Premiere Pro users and how they buy a $900 +/- "good deal" Asus ROG laptop and then make a few easy to do upgrades:

best laptop for Premiere

Jim

• 9. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                          semoff Level 1

Thanks RJL,

My big question of course is that: will it effect my HD editing?

If people aren't buying the Quadra because it's expensive and doesn't as much power, that's one thing. But will I notice it when I'm editing? Because right now, I just have a crappy onboard graphics card that works (mostly) fine. Since I can't swap out the Quadra in the Lenovo for something better, as long as I won't really notice, I'm not concerned with the details. I'm not going to be doing a lot of fancy stuff in Premiere. Tiles, basic transitions, possibly some color correction.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                            semoff Level 1

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out

• 11. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                              semoff Level 1

I've been looking at this Sager as well:

15.6" Full HD IPS LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)

- Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory

- 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.60GHz)

- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

- Genuine MS Windows® 7 Professional 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded ) [+$50.00]

- 24GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 3 X 8GB [+$45.00]

- None [-$60.00]

- 1TB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive

- Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-AC N1525 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

- Smart Polymer Battery Pack (4 Cell, 60WH)

- Fingerprint Reader

$1,834.00

It's got the good graphics card plus 24 RAM

• 12. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                Martin.Munthe

I've been using the Thinkpad W's for a long time now. They beat the gaming laptops in every aspect. They are lighter, have screens that can be calibrated and workstation graphics (you'll notice that in SpeedGrade). I can not recommend them enough. Lugging around a ROG makes no sense to me. A better option in that case would be a minitower that can handle a full size GPU. You'll get a lot more power that way. I'm sticking with the Thinkpad W for stability and reliability.

• 13. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                  semoff Level 1

Thanks Martin,

That's good to know your Thinkpad is doing the job. Can I inquire what version of Premiere Pro as well as RAM, CPU and video card? I read some not-so-hot reviews of Thinkpad Ws, but I personally have been using Thinkpads for over 10 years. (My last machine lasted 8 years!)

• 14. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Workstation graphics doesn't change the way Speedgrade functions nor does it impact the GPU acceleration any differently. Calibration is based on the panel and is not specific to the GPU. Thinkpads definitely don't outperform the laptops that have better specs so not they don't beat the gaming laptops. They are lighter but you sacrifice processing and upgradability for that. The person your recommending them to needs to know what they sacrifice for the added mobility. The 900 series mobile GeForce gpu's will outperform almost all of the mobile Quadro GPU's with Adobe. A quad core mobile CPU with Hyperthreading is what you want with any laptop right now and atleast 16GB of ram although 32GB is ideal. You want 2 storage medium atleast ie OS drive SSD or otherwise and a media drive. Some laptops have more storage options. You can calibrate many of the screens on current laptops with the right colorimeter and software. That isn't anything specific to thinkpad. I suggest you look at X-Rite first if calibration is a requirement for grading. Keep in mind the Clevo and Asus laptops will have far more upgrade options than any tier 1 oem shell. If longevity is a concern I suggest the OP start there.

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                      Martin.Munthe Level 1

Now, "performance" is an interesting topic that will result in a discussion with no end. A Thinkpad W has a 100% wide gamut display with a built in calibrator and a Quadro GPU with 10-bit per channel. GeForce totals a 10-bit for all color channels. Quadro works in 30-bit in practice while GeForce always stays at 10-bit. That's performance in my world. But we all have different needs. I do a lot of grading and I like having 30-bit available and a built in screen that performs.

The Thinkpad W541 can hold three SSD:s and 32GB of RAM. I have an older model that I keep using (it's on it's third year and it still gives me all the performance I need). If you're like me and work a lot on sets and location and you've seen all those bent and destroyed MacBooks you'll be satisfied with the three different MILSPEC's of the ThinkPad. And the W does actually have an ISV from Adobe.

To me as someone that requires color accuracy and ruggedness there is nothing that outperforms the W on the market today. No laptop on this planet today can give even the cheapest desktop with a descent full size GPU a run for it's money in terms of CUDA acceleration. So if Mercury Playback power is your definition of performance - laptop is the wrong way to look.

• 16. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop

Geforce cards are not limited to 10 bit for all channels. I have no idea where you are getting that information from. Geforce cards have the same capability per channel as the Quadro cards. They support deep color on HDMi which includes up to 12 bit per channel. The only difference is they support the 10bit per channel via Direct X versus Open GL. The Quadro cards give 10 bit color via Open GL instead of Direct X. That is the only difference and it is driver related and nothing to do with the hardware. You can calibrate the panels the same whether it's a Thinkpad or another panel if the panel works with the colorimeter. There are different panels on laptops that have high Gamut capability. That is not something specific to Thinkpads. The current Thinkad W units are using the low end Broadwell dual core chips. Those wont have near the performance of the Quad mobile chips with hypertthreading on the Clevo or Asus shells. The Thinkpad shells also only had 2 dim slots so 16GB of ram is the max with that  configuration.

Eric

ADK

• 17. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                          Martin.Munthe Level 1

Let me quote Nvidia to clarify:

"NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs.  Due to the way most applications use traditional Windows API functions to create the application UI and viewport display, this method is not used for professional applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop.  These programs use OpenGL 10-bit per color buffers which require an NVIDIA Quadro GPU with DisplayPort connector."

And that is why I run a Thinkpad W with a DisplayPort and Quadro GPU.

• 18. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop

Yes but you an get 10 bit color preview with an I/O device like Blackmagic and still run the Geforce card. 10bit color on the Laptop GPU only works if the panel supports 10bit color. Most laptop panels do not. Using the Displayport would be no different than using an I/O device for that other than the I/O device would be a raw output versus the Quadro where the colorspace of that output is effected by the driver and OS. BTW many applications designers that have used Open GL in the past have been switching to Direct X. Adobe just isn't one of them.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                              Martin.Munthe Level 1

Yes, an IO card is one option. Thinkpad W's have wide gamut 10 bit display's. You get what you pay for.

• 20. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop

Well their specs don't list 10bit color on their displays. They list IPS and 10 point multitouch options. However you are sacrificing significant processing capability with the Dual Core Broadwell CPU's and the Quadro GPU's for editing with Adobe. Those are components you cannot change. However buying a 10bit color display for preview and an I/O device is something you can add or change at any time for an affordable price at this point. It makes more sense to get the far better laptop specs for editing first and then the preview monitoring hardware later if you require 10bit monitoring for grading. If all grading is the majority of work versus editing then the 10 bit laptop display makes sense versus better specs. If the workflow includes editing and AE work then it doesn't.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                                  JFPhoton Level 3

Last summer I replaced a damaged laptop with an Asus G750JW that was being sold " refurbished" at ahuge discount fromm newegg. The price was $850 instead of $1400. It arrived in like new condition with the plastic still on it.  It has 4 dimm slots,but, only two are user accessible. I easily upgraded the laptop to 24 GB, which is an adequate amount for the current PPro...I observed memory use go to 20 GB while playing a four video track timeline of 1080p material that was loaded with accelerated effects.

I also easily upgraded the horrible storage system that was included....a single 1 terabyte 5400 rpm HDD. I placed a Crucial 480 GB SATA III SSD into each of the two available hard drive bays to massively increase performance. The laptop came with a more than adequate 765m NVidia mobile GPU. This laptop has been performing great, so far. It even has a Thunderbolt 1 port which I use to drive an external hi- res IPS monitor that is 2560x 1440p in resolution. I could use that port for high speed external storage and drive that monitor with the included HDMI 1.4 port.

Now, a year later, you may find a newer model with the same type of deal....watch for one.  The Asus ROG series gaming laptops have been solid machines for running PPro for a long time now. It is easy to buy a cheaper model and upgrade it yourself. The newer models go up to having a 980m NVidia GPU...an awesome  card which has at least 4 GB of ddr5 video memory.  If you visit the PPBM8 website you can see the impressive benchmark results posted by Bill Gehrke who has the same exact laptop as me...with the same do it yourself upgrades. This year'models are even MORE powerful and faster.

• 22. Re: (Another) Editing on a Laptop
                                                    pdxamuse

I'm back with another two Lenovos to compare because the budget decreased...

Lenovo y50

Intel core i5 4th Gen

8GB RAM

1 TB HD + 8 GB SSHD

NVIDIA GTX 860M

and...

Lenovo z710

Intel core i7 4710MQ

2.4 Ghz

8GB RAM

1 TB HD

GeForce 745

The prices are the same. And I will be upgrading to 16GB RAM.

So...

I realize the i7 is better on the z710. It's quadcore right? But the i5 isn't?

I don't even know the Processing speed on the y50.  but the 8GB SSHD adds something significant, does it not? And the graphics card is better...

Which one should I choose?

Thanks again!!