3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2007 9:24 AM by Drewster413

HTML to PDF conversion

Drewster413
      Hi,

I am new to RoboHelp, and I've been asked to create PDF output from a help project created by someone else. The graphics in the output PDF come out really crappy, and the file size is over 6MB for a 180-page document. I've performed the conversion dozens of times with all sorts of different output parameters, but I can't get the file size any smaller, and the images are generally bad.

Any advice?

Thanks,
      Andy
        • 1. Re: HTML to PDF conversion
          lmarden Level 2
          Have you tried output to RTF first, then creating a PDF from in MSWord? Or are you generating the PDF directly from RH? I would try creating the PDF from the Word doc. At the very least, when the RTF is generated, you can open it and reattach images if necessary, then create the PDF...
          • 2. Re: HTML to PDF conversion
            RoboColum(n) Level 5
            What format are the images? And do you know how they were captured? Typically this sort of issue arises where an image was captured in a way that RH disagrees with (e.g. pasting it into Word and then importing into RH).
            • 3. Re: HTML to PDF conversion
              Drewster413 Level 1
              I let RH create a DOC file and then tried to use Acrobat to create the PDF, but it was 12MB!!! The images all seem to be GIFs, but the resolution is pretty bad, even in RH itself. I don't think I have time to re-capture these images, and I don't know what was used to capture them in the first place, but I suspect that they were all pasted into Word and then imported into RH.

At this point I have almost no time left to fiddle with this.

One thing, I thought I might find some settings in RoboPDF that I could play with, but I can't get RoboPDF to open (from the Tools tab in RH). It just displays a splash screen and hangs... Perhaps I need to re-install RoboPDF?

Thanks,
              Andy