7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 6:23 PM by IanGuild

Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom

IanGuild Level 1

Hi folks, I use lightroom CC and I am, wondering how to tag photos with location or trip details? I have recently returned from Southern africa with 3500+ photos and I am currently sorting them out. I use structured folder process so I can identify the photos clearly on the drive, I use key words such as "Africa2015" to be able to use smart albums, also "birds" for the came reason etc but the problem comes when I have 11 photos of the accommodation we stayed at in the Namibian desert  - "Canyon Mountain Lodge", keywords don't seem appropriate to me but they seem to be the only way to identify the content of the photo. Is this the correct method? Is it the only way? What do other people do?

• 1. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

In my opinion, keywords are not only appropriate for Canyon Mountain Lodge, they fit the job perfectly! A keyword for that would let you easily find the photos at any time in the future.

keywords don't seem appropriate to me but they seem to be the only way to identify the content of the photo

Uh, no, it's not the ONLY way, there are probably a half-dozen ways to do this. How about Captions? How about Titles? How about a collection? (and other ideas I'm sure)

By the way, I don't use dates in my Keywords, I would use "Africa" as a keyword instead of "Africa2015". The dates are already contained the metadata, you don't need to create the year a 2nd time.

• 2. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
            IanGuild Level 1

Thanks for the reply, with using keyword I guess I was just concerned about the number of keywords I would end up with, but it lookslike it does not matter if I end up with many keywords.

I am using collections but again I wondered about setting up a collection that would have 11 items. I am trying to be very organised as we visited many places over the trip and there is a few weeks / months work ahead to get on top of the images. Captions and titles -  I have not found where to put them in yet except in a slide show so I will need to do some more research and educate myself further in Lightroom.

Good point on using metadata, this was our second trip to Africa and the first one I had used the keyword "Africa" and this time I just chose the easiest option but it is early days so I will look at changing the keyword and making more use of metadata. I work with other software and often selecting on dates can be problematic, particularly date formats (English vs US), on the surface it can look as the format you want but underneath it is the format that the programmer defined -  but I will give it a try.

• 3. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

Hierarchical keywords is the solution to having too many keywords. Just collapse the parts of the hierarchy you are not currently using.

Titles and captions are in the metadata panel on the right.

I prefer keywords to collections for most uses, keywords can stay with the photos when you export the photos and use them outside of Lightroom, while collections do not have this property.

• 4. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
                IanGuild Level 1

Thanks, I will try the hierarchical keywords, that would likely satisfy my need for organisation as I can then nest them under others. If I apply a lower level keyword -  does this imply the others above it have been associated to the image? For example if I set up a keyword structure of "Africa" with "Canyon Mountain Lodge" underneath it -  if I apply "Canyon Mountain Lodge" will this also apply "Africa"?

• 5. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
                  Michael D Sullivan Level 3

You would apply "Africa>Canyon Mountain Lodge", as putting "Canyon Mountain Lodge" under "Africa" doesn't create a separate independent keyword "Canyon Mountain Lodge."

• 6. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
                    dj_paige Level 9

When you assign a keyword in Lightroom, there are several different views and options that apply.

Assigning a keyword doesn't actually assign the "containing keyword", so "Africa" would not be assigned directly, but you can view either "Keywords" or "Keywords and Containing Keywords" in the Keywording Panel. When you search for "Africa" photos, these Canyon Mountain Lodge photos will be found, even if "Africa" is not assigned directly. You can also set options to determine if the "Containing Keyword" are included on export, or not.

So in my case, I have photos from around New York State, I have keywords "Buffalo", "Rochester", "Syracuse", all as sub-keywords under "New York". I do not specifically assign "New York" to the photos. But when I search for "New York", I get all of those cities under "New York", and when I export, I can choose to include "New York", or not.

• 7. Re: Identifying the location of photos in Lightroom
                      IanGuild Level 1

Thanks, I started last night to sort them out into Hierarchies. I will watch them from now on and just add on the subordinate keywords. I have one bucket to sort out "others" -  anything I was not sure where I wanted them got put in there so the bulk are sorted but some need some more work.

I really appreciate the feedback