3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 4:30 PM by kglad

resize test movie

zorbic

in all previous versions of flash, when you run test movie, you could manually resize the window. this was useful for seeing offstage assets and checking their behavior. now adobe in their infinite wisdom, appears to have changed the behavior of the test movie window so that the flash content scales along with the movie when resized. i was hopeful that this was a new preference that could be set, but not finding anything. anybody have a workaround?

• 1. Re: resize test movie
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i don't have a work-around.

but i can tell you that you should not put objects on the back stage.  they cause several potential problems including having an impact on performance and causing a problem when a swf with back-stage items is loaded into another swf.

it's bad practice to use back-stage items.  you should use addChild() and removeChild() (or the similar 'at' methods) to add and remove displayobjects from the display list, not just move them on and off stage.

• 2. Re: resize test movie
            zorbic Level 1

thanks for the reply kglad. but I have no idea what you're on about. I am not putting anything on the "back-stage". i'm just talking about offstage regular movieclips. there is no swf loading into another swf. I don't even need to use addChild() in this situation. it is standard practice to animate objects onto the stage and off of it and has been since flash was invented.

i'm just wanting to know if there is a way for my swf not to rescale when the test movie window is re-scaled with the mouse. it is the way flash has always worked, now it is different. is there some advantage to this new behavior that i'm not seeing?

• 3. Re: resize test movie
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the back-stage is where you're putting those off-stage objects.

and your standard practice (and a lot of other people's) is poor practice.  that you haven't had a problem in the past has worked out for you so you're unaware of the problems.

maybe someone else can help you do what you want.