4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 12:29 PM by pandaSA

face recognition

pandaSA

in Lightroom 6, face recognition:

-- is there a way to force a folder to redo the search for faces? I accidentally pressed backspace from within the named panel when I thought I was in the unnamed panel and by the time I noticed it, it was too late for ctrl-Z. I suspect the workaround is to exit LR, rename the folder, resynchronize (which I expect would remove all the named faces as well (not good)), get out of LR again, name the folder back to its original name, and go back into LR and start over. Certainly Adobe would have thought of a better way than this, right?!

-- Is there a way to see the number of named/unnamed faces by folder, in a list form?

-- How does a person see all the named face names? I have a name with a \ at the end (too close to the enter) and I can't find it, but it shows in the list of name suggestions when I type in a similar name.

-- FYI: I started the face recognition a week ago and it has been running maybe 20 hours a day, overnight and while I'm away from the computer. It started with 440,000 photos, which was a disappointment because I made the 2014 folder active, but apparently there is no way to restrict the indexing to the folder you want. (Yes, you can restrict the naming to a specific folder, but the indexing grabs everything.) Good news: it dropped below 300,000 today! Optimizing the catalog helps speed things up, but it nevertheless is a veeery long process.

• 1. Re: face recognition
          Wolf Eilers Level 4

pandaSA wrote:

-- is there a way to force a folder to redo the search for faces? I accidentally pressed backspace from within the named panel when I thought I was in the unnamed panel and by the time I noticed it, it was too late for ctrl-Z. I suspect the workaround is to exit LR, rename the folder, resynchronize (which I expect would remove all the named faces as well (not good)), get out of LR again, name the folder back to its original name, and go back into LR and start over. Certainly Adobe would have thought of a better way than this, right?!

See this feature request: Lightroom 6/CC - Allow facial recognition feature to re-index a folder/collection

-- Is there a way to see the number of named/unnamed faces by folder, in a list form?

Nothing built into Lightroom but I bet some 3rd party developers could get something going. I created a preset that lists all People keywords and the count for a single folder/collection.

-- How does a person see all the named face names? I have a name with a \ at the end (too close to the enter) and I can't find it, but it shows in the list of name suggestions when I type in a similar name.

In the Keyword List click the arrow beside the filter box. It will then point down to reveal the All People and Other keywords.Click People and see all the face name keywords. I keep all my face names under the People keyword. Notice the asterisk beside People which indicates that new face names will default under the People keyword. (Right click People to see options.) I use the People keyword in my preset.

• 2. Re: face recognition
            pandaSA Level 1

Thank you!  Great info.

I have no idea how you created a preset to list the keywords and counts for a folder. Can you help with that?

• 3. Re: face recognition
              Wolf Eilers Level 4

Create the People preset to list photos containing face name and the count for each name. Ensure that new face names (aka Person Keywords) automatically be placed inside the People keyword. You will see an asterisk beside People if this is done.

1. In Grid view press the '\' key to show the filter bar.
              2. Se the filter to Default Columns.
              3. Add a column and allow it to display Keyword.
              4. Ctrl+click (Windows) or Cmd+click (Mac) Text in the filter bar.
              5. In the text boxes choose Keywords > Contains Words > People
              6. Save current settings as a new preset and call it People.

The preset will list all images containing the People keyword and the Keyword column in the filter bar will show all embedded keywords, including face names and the count. This preset is not perfect since there is no guarantee that a name is actually a face name. Use the People view (O) to display actual face names and the count.

• 4. Re: face recognition
                pandaSA Level 1

Thank you.

It works very well.