7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 5:17 PM by johnrellis

LR not updating modified EXIF data

Oleksy Level 1

I imported a bunch of photos into LR, and subsequently added GPS info to the raw files using Canon's map utility. The GPS info is there (I checked in Finder's File Info dialog), but LR does not know it! I don't mind reimporting the files to get the GPS data recognized, but it seems that the only way to do it is to delete the images from the catalog, which means losing the adjustments I had already done on them. Is there an option to update the EXIF data in LR without taking this drastic step?

• 1. Re: LR not updating modified EXIF data
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

First, do you have the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP set?

• 3. Re: LR not updating modified EXIF data

Then select one of the pics to which you've added GPS data and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.   This will reread the metadata from the raw files into the LR catalog without losing your edits; but any changes you may have made to metadata within LR -- keywords, caption, whatever -- will be lost.

Going forward, why don't you use LR's map module instead?

Also, if you ever do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, or your turn on the Automatically Write Changes Into XMP option, then for those pics, LR will read/write metadata from the file's .xmp sidecar (a file with the same base name as the image but with extension .xmp), rather than from the raw file itself.

Also also, many people are leary of modifying raw files, since each camera manufacturer has its own proprietary format (thus the reason for .xmp sidecars).  In your case, presumably you are using Canon's utility to modify Canon raw files, so that risk is mitigated.

• 4. Re: LR not updating modified EXIF data
              Oleksy Level 1

Thanks, I will try this tonight. The reason for using the Canon map utility is that it can automatically apply the GPS coordinates that are saved in a log file on the Canon GP-E2 GPS unit. I normally shoot with two camera bodies, so only the photos that the GPS  unit is attached to are GPS tagged.

• 5. Re: LR not updating modified EXIF data

In general, it's safest to geotag the photos before you import them into LR.  And if you geotag them after you import them, it's safer to do the geotag before you start to do edits.

• 6. Re: LR not updating modified EXIF data
                  Oleksy Level 1

This was the first time a tried applying geotags using Canon's map utility. Now that I know that LR doesn't automatically update the EXIF data after the initial import, I will be geotagging my photos before I bring them into LR. BTW, what is unsafe about doing this? Have you run into issues with files becoming corrupted during the process?

• 7. Re: LR not updating modified EXIF data

Received wisdom says that because manufacturers consider their raw formats proprietary and don't document them, it's risky to allow third-party tools to modify them.  Such wisdom doesn't apply to the manufacturers' own tools.