4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 8:53 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign unable to restore broken links

petert79888348

Hello,

I am having a very strange issue with my InDesign and would love some help resolving it. I have a user with adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium and have run into an issue where I he is unable to re-link broken links or fonts, the program shows pixelated as if product isn't properly registered. He contacted me with the issue and I connected to his PC via LogMeIn and was confused as I was unable to get the issue to repeat. Disconnect and Immediately get called back saying the issue is happening again. A short period of trouble shootign later we discovered that if I am connected via logmein when the program is launched everything will work properly if I am not connected it has the orignal issue. This is true for multiple user accounts and whether I connect as the domain admin, a local user, local admin, or a domain user when coming in through log me in. We also tried logging a domain account that had never logged into that PC before but is used for another PC that is primarily for InDesign work and the issue continued to occur. This leads me to believe it is not a problem with the user permissions as the inherited permissions for that user function correctly with InDesign on the other PC. Are there any known bugs with LogMeIn drivers and InDesign or potentially some guidance that anyone can give me on where I should go with my troubleshooting? Considering Adobe absurdly awful support, they"don't provide phone support for this product", have no web chat support, and a flat out AWFUL trouble shooting document I don't know where else to look.

Thank You

• 1. Re: InDesign unable to restore broken links
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've seen plenty of cases of display issues in CS5 on Win 7 that get triggered by horizontal scrolling with the mouse wheel on my Logitech mouse. I suspect mouse driver, but I'm not sure. In my case, holding down the Alt + Spacebar keys to bring up the Hand tool and clicking anywhere restores the normal screen.

Without a lot more info I don't think we can help with the link and font issue. Where are the files stored? The links? Are the fonts installed, in a fonts folder accompanying the .indd...?

• 2. Re: InDesign unable to restore broken links
            petert79888348 Level 1

Thank you for your reply, I will try the Alt + Spacebar and see if that resolves the issue, would be great if it was as simple as a driver breaking the display settings.

Files are stored locally and on an USB attached External drive as are the fonts in a fonts folder. If the drive has been detached since the last time a file was accesed obviously the links to other contained images, fonts, and files need to be reset which is where we run into the issue. One thing that may be important is that these are all domain accounts and not local PC accounts though the primary user is set as a local admin not sure if there are any known issues or bugs related to domain accounts. any other information I could provide that may be useful for you? As I said earlier it just seemed like such an odd issue that it would work from remote access but not without the remote access connected that I didn't really know where to look.

• 3. Re: InDesign unable to restore broken links
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Do the user have write access to the Common Files?

• 4. Re: InDesign unable to restore broken links
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't have any real experience dealing with domain accounts, but I'm sure that's a complicating factor. ID goes nuts when it loses a network connection for some reason.