12 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 4:46 AM by Willi Adelberger

Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(

GutuieLeGrande

Hello. I am exporting from Adobe ilustrator Artboard JPG, options are CMYK, Q:Maximum, Baseline/high 300 ppi No antialiasing, Jpeg comes out as 28642 X 9000 Pixels, 19 megas size, Bridge saying its 72 ppi. When i use windows viewer, i can zoom alot without the picture geting pixeled. When i add it with bridge into Indesign, and save the document, the .indd only has 1.5 megas. I think that's because it only saves a preview of the jpg. If i move the jpg to another folder , indd will say the picture needs to be relinked, well, now... My problem is : When i zoom into the Indesign document the picture, even with Display Performance : High, the picture gets pixelated way sooner than in Windows photo viewer, and i am afraid that it's gonna look really bad when printed...   I can't test because i'm working with .indd and then uploading with edoc plugin to a website. I have no printer. Do i have to worry about the resolution ? or is just Indesign trolling me , because the program has its limitations and can't handle so big files when zooming. I'm using 8 gb's ram, i think that's a bit low, thinking to upgrade to 16 soon. Also, in ilustrator, if i select Supersampling with those options, i get error saying the file is to big, to make it smaller, but it does export it with supersampling and 150 ppi instead of 300. Is it a matter of RAM ? or its just the way program is built ?

• 1. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Why are you exporting a file to JPG? Why are you not using the AI file and place that?

• 2. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
            fiddles5

InDesign has Display Performance settings. Look under Preferences... Display Performance. Set them all to Higher Quality.  You can also right-click on the image and choose Display Performance from the dropdown menu that appears, and you can choose your options there.  

OR

In InDesign open the Links panel, click on the image and display the image information - InDesign should tell you what the resolution is of the resized image.

Another thing you could do:

Open the .jpg in Photoshop, and go to Images > Image Size, and uncheck "Resample Image" and change the resolution from 72 to 300.   Then you should be able to see what size the image is in inches, and if it's close to the size you are asking it to be in your InDesign document. Resave.

• 3. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(

That's true, but there is not even one single reason to convert an AI file to JPG and place that. The only correct solution is to place the AI file directly or  save the AI file as PDF/X-4 and place that. Never convert any vector to pixels if you have vectors.

• 4. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
                fiddles5 Level 1

Actually, if he's going to do an ebook, he'll need to convert to something other than AI 

• 5. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(

That is not true! You can place PDFs or AI and they will be exported to the proper format upon EPUB export. You can even select which output format you choose. And JPG would NEVER—NEVER—be the correct format for artwork from Illustrator, better would be PNG or in any point in the future SVG, which not a choice at the moment.

So the correct way is PLACE THE AI FILE or THE PDF/X-4.

• 6. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(

Additionally, I can't find any mention of EPUB, and CMYK would neither indicate that this is meant for print.

• 7. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
                      John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Willi is right as usual. The premise of your workflow is high-resolution print. On that basis, export as JPEG from Illustrator is a serious error. The Adobe applications all support each others' native formats, and JPEG is NEVER the correct format for transferring from one app to another.

...it only saves a preview of the jpg.

When i zoom into the Indesign document the picture, even with Display Performance : High, the picture gets pixelated way sooner than in Windows photo viewer, and i am afraid that it's gonna look really bad when printed...

If you're aware that the image you see in the InDesign is only a preview, why are you using it to make judgements about the quality? In fact, InDesign's preview is a compressed JPEG proxy of your already-needlessly-compressed JPEG original, so it's potentially got a double-wammy of perceptible degradation.

If you're really concerned about quality output, go back and do the right thing: Get the JPEG out of there and place the native AI file in InDesign.

• 8. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
                        fiddles5 Level 1

But you can't use AI files if you are not using InDesign's export options for epub and going about it another way. Some folks submit InDesign files directly to ebook distribution services. And some epub distribution services will not accept InDesign files with embedded PDFs or AI files for images. They will only take jpg or png.  And yes, RGB.

Just trying to help find a solution for this question. I assumed he had a reason for wanting to save it as a jpg, and that was the only reason I could think of.

• 9. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
                          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

fiddles5 wrote:

I assumed he had a reason for wanting to save it as a jpg, and that was the only reason I could think of.

While that benefit of the doubt is understandable, the original post clearly indicates a concern for printed quality. And, even if the destination was other-than-direct-export EPUB, JPEG is still the incorrect choice of format.

• 10. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
                            1. The Question did not indicate any form of EPUB.
                            2. No one was here talking about Ebook distribution services.
                            3. You should never embed images in any way, link them.
                            4. If someone talks about CMYK this indicates a print project.
                            5. If someone uses InDesign for EBOOKs he should uses InDesign's technologies
                            6. If someone has artwork of vectors and text JPG is the wrong format if he needs pixels, PNG would be a better choice.
                            7. If you talk about EBOOKs, you should specify it: EPUB2? EPUB3? EPUB3 fixed? PDF? HTML5?
                            • 11. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(
                              GutuieLeGrande Level 1

Hi, WoW I didn't expect so much answers Well it goes like this :

1 I was asked to work with Indesign to make lets say Flyers for printing. The tool used to upload those .Indd files to the server is an Edoc Plugin which i think its new stuff, that still needs improvements... The file gets uploaded to an Edoc server that has advanged management for the programmer, and also has a user interface for the people that wanna print that document from anywhere in the world, with an interactive interface where u can add/modify stuff to the Flyer.

2 I found that Indesign wasn't enough for this job so i had to pick adobe ilustrator to play with the background of the designs. There i have to add vector elements, then convert the entire design into JPG with CMYK. I did try to do PNG thinking it was better but Png only has RGB and that's not for printing. I've also just added the AI file containing vector elements into Indesign. When i try to copy the colour with eyedropper to a text line, the text gets RGB colour, meaning that .indd document will be RGB after uploading it to Edoc... I did upload it and it looks ok but i seen the diference between RGB/CMYK same photo and they don't look the same in colours.

I'm from Europe the Website is from Center America, so its not that easy to test but i guess we'll find soon when they will start printing if the High resolution CMYK jpg's are good.

John Mensinge - You said ''If i am aware'' , well i am not 100% sure its only a preview, what i am working with in Indesign but that's my guess, since the .indd file is so small compared to the JPG. And i hope i am right about it.

I am a newbie in all this ''Photoshoping'' that's why i ask on forums about some answers.

• 12. Re: Hi, I Have trouble with JPG File Resolution in Indesign :(

If it is for print, you should NEVER convert any vector artwork from Illustrator to pixel files like JPG or PNG.

If it is for print, you should not use PNG.

If you artwork is CMYK and you need CMYK for print you should NEVER use PNG.

The correct way to use Illustrator artwork is:

1. Save the Illustrator file as AI with PDF compatibility or as PDF/X-4
                                2. In InDesign go to File > Place and use that AI or PDF file from the previous step. Don't use copy and paste.
                                3. If you want a better preview in InDesign, go to the image, right mouse click, context menu > Display performance > High Quality

Normally you should never deliver an open INDD file to the printer, export as PDF.

// As far as I see the EDOC plugin in is supposed to create PDF files. Use InDesign's export function which makes the best PDF files.