8 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 8:26 AM by Jeff Ultimate

Droplet problem when batch processing

Jeff Ultimate

Hi,

I created a droplet in Photoshop CC 2014 (droplet created while running in admin mode) and it works fine when I use it from Lightroom (CC 2015) but only when processing small numbers of files.

When I try to batch-process about 5 files, then everything seems to be working fine and all my 5 files are properly handled by the Photoshop droplet (most of the time...)

But if I try to batch-process more than 5 (40 files in my case), then I get the dreaded "Droplet could not communicate" problem on many of the files.

I've seen this problem multiple times in the forum but the only fix suggested was to create the droplet while running in admin mode , which I did.

Here's my workflow:

Working Workflow:

In Lighroom, select 5 files

Right-Click - > Edit in... -> Sharpen Droplet

Answer yes to the convert dialog (TIFF, ProPhotoRGB, 16bit)

Batch is being processed correctly

Non-Working Workflow

In Lighroom, select 40 files

Right-Click - > Edit in... -> Sharpen Droplet

Answer yes to the convert dialog (TIFF, ProPhotoRGB, 16bit)

Batch is NOT being processed correctly. Many files return the "droplet could not communicate" error.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing
          Jeff Ultimate Level 1

**Adding Info**

I tried the droplet outside of Lightroom. I dropped my files over the droplet (.exe) in windows explorer and it started properly and did all my 40 files without any problems.

So my issue seems to be related with Lightroom when using the droplet through the "Edit In" popup menu. Doesn't seem to like multiple files.

So maybe I'll just change my workflow and start by exporting my files as TIFFs and then selecting my TIFFs and dropping them over the droplet manually.

• 2. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't say what OS, but my guess is Windows. I think you've hit a limit to the length of the command string that's sent to the OS, so one solution is to shorten the string by shortening the path of each element. For example, export the TIFs to c:\tifs\ the c:\users\joe\my documents\tifs\ and you'll be able to export many more TIFs in one shot.

• 3. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing
              Jeff Ultimate Level 1

Thanks John!

Yes indeed I'm running windows 8.1, should have put that out.

I don't have any problems exporting as tifs, my problem is with the "Edit In" popup menu

I can't find a way to try your suggestion and change the folder when using "Edit In". It seems to implicitly use the source file's folder.

What I could try though it first export in C:\Tifs and then use the "Edit In" function on the already exported files. But wouldn't that convert twice to tiff?

Or I could export my raw files as originals in C:\Tifs and then use "Edit In" from the C:\tifs folder (?)

Thanks again!!!!

Jeff

• 4. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing

Sorry, Jeff, I referred to Export, but it would be the same issue with Edit With - the path to each file would always be the source file's folder, as you know. Exporting should be the way forward, but I'm suggesting a third option of exporting raw files as TIFs and activating the droplet as a Post Processing Step. You see this at the bottom of the Export dialog and you need to put a copy of the droplet in the Export Actions folder. It then becomes available as a PPS.

• 5. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing
                  Jeff Ultimate Level 1

Thanks for the tip!

I've tried it earlier but I was still exporting to the original long-named folder.

I'll switch the export folder to a shorter name as you suggested and we'll see how that works.

So basically I'll be exporting as TIFF (ProPhotoRBG, 16bit, etc.) in a short-named folder and selecting the droplet in the post-process command of the export.

Thanks again! greatly appreciated!!!!

Jeff

• 6. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing
                    Jeff Ultimate Level 1

ok, I seem to have found a workable workflow.

1- Export as PSD in C:\Temp\Export (not TIF as I'll explain later)

2- Once exported, select all PSD files from Windows Explorer

3- Drop PSD files over droplet executable.

I've tried it 3 times so far and it worked flawlessly every time.

The reason I'm not using TIF is because Photoshop displays a TIF Options dialog for every file. I'm not sure why it does so but it doesn't do that with PSD files.

Thanks again for your help!

• 7. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing

Good, glad that worked.

In general, the reasons to use the proprietary PSD instead of TIF are obscure - duotone mode images, viewing transparency in InDesign, use for displacement maps, and some uses in Adobe's iOS apps "spring" to mind (lurk in the dark corners of my mind would be a better phrase). I've not tested it, but can't your droplet's actions include the TIF Options?

John

• 8. Re: Droplet problem when batch processing
                        Jeff Ultimate Level 1

Found the problem.

I simply unchecked the "Ask Before Saving Layered TIFF Files" checkbox in Photoshop's preferences and that did the trick.

It still bums me out a bit that Lightroom isn't reliable enough for me to use the "Edit In" feature. I'd rather have only one step to do and let Lightroom/Photoshop do all the work. Now I have two steps which means I have to wait until the pics are exported and then drag them over to the droplet. But at least it works.

thanks!

Jeff