• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove a background from text.

Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to remove a blackground color from text...

Say Pink background with black text..

I can do the magic wand it can remove all the pink....but I am left with  pink color in enclosed parts of letters such as the "o" , "p" , "R", etc...

Then... I use the magic wand again and remove the rest of the color from inside the letters....

Is there a faster way to remove background color all at once and leave the clear from any color from the background?????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have made your selection, you an choose Select > Similar from the top dropdown menu. That will select pixels of the similar colour to ones previously chosen. You can change the tolerance number to adjust the range (the smaller the number, the lower the colour range).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to limit the "similar"?  It selecting the pixels from all the document into pictures I don't want deleted.....  If I could limited to a certain area to cover the a paragraph, that would be good..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there's a small area of the image with the paragraph, I'd copy (or even cut) and paste that into a new layer. Then you'd have more control over the Select Similar as it will only apply to the extent of pixels in that new layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd select the black text, the use Select > Inverse to select all of the background. Delete should clear it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "inverse" option would delete the background into a transparent...  but still.... I would need to select every letter on from a paragraph, and then fill the ground...  filling after the selection with the wand tool works faster in this case....

Ideally... I would like to select similar pixels within the area of the wand tool selection...   that way I could clear the enclosed areas within the text from such letters like P, B, O..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck "Contiguous" in the Magic Wand Tool Options Bar.  It gets all the letters if you select one. Then Inverse. If you want a White background, Cmd/Ctrl-Delete will use the Default White Background as the fill.

I use this method, it's just very quick if the text is black.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm..

Is there a way to change the color of a pixel within a certain area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I suppose you select the foreground color, Select the area you want to change, and Alt-Delete or Backspace to change it to that foreground color.

There are many kinds of selection tools. Just use the one that works best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...

See if this is possible with Fotoshop.... maybe we need to make a suggestion for Adobe...

Here is a situation.... 

Remove the square around the word "loop", along with the inside yellow color within the letters... without removing the yellow star in the document...

loop.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!

Copy the star and save it on a different layer...

Use the wand tool... Select > Similar > Enter

Move your copied pictured layer below the working layer of deleting text background...

Now you have delted the background from the text.... and kept other similar pixels that you wanted in the document....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an example of what I am having after using the wand tool.... then I have to use the wand tool again to clear the letter..

The yellow are blocks of paragraphs on a document...

Capture32.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Select Similar worked for me with your above image.

Since it is text, it may be worth trying to convert it to text format. Photoshop does not do this but if you have Acrobat Pro, save the image as a PDF from Photoshop, load it into Acrobat and do text recognition. Them copy and paste that text as a text layer into your Photoshop file. That will give you much more control over the adjustment of text and better blending to the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thsi was done in CS5.5

I know it's an old thread, however, someone might be able to use this.

It works best for poorly scanned pages of text where you want a white background.

Save your pdf to "images" .jpg (edit the Acrobat save image settings to save in CMYK)

I save at 300 dpi.

In Photoshop, load the file, 
Go into the channels - delete the C, Y, & M channel.
Go up to Image Mode - change to grey scale (you get cleaner results deleting the 3 channels rather than initially saving as greyscale )

Using the "levels" drag the black over till you're happy with tthe darkness of the text (100 or so)

Merge the levels.

If you're happy with the results, save & cary on.

If there's still some gray, 

open the curves - and fiddle with the black & white till you're happy.

Merge the levels.

Save.

I'm working with 600-700 page documents and build an action to do all this.

Sometimes the odd & even pages are scanned to different lightness or intensity.

so I separete pages by "odd & even" into separate folders.and build aseparate action for each.

Sometimes you will wind up with a black bar at the edges where the center of the book wasn't held down flat.

You can manually clean those if there's not too many,

otherwise build anaction for that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines