3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 8:59 PM by RT56

can i import from camera directly to external hard drive

katiej97805104

I just recently joined the mac world....prior to that I used a windows machine and would directly import from my SD card and my destination was my EHD. I did this strategically by date so that everything would be in order...I have my catalog linked to my EHD and things were going great until I started to import and also export it says that they photos can not be read. However when I linked them to the new computer I used the EHD and LR found them without any problems. I thought that maybe my EHD wasn't formatted for a Mac and that might be the problem...Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this subject. I spoke with an Adobe person on a chat and did a screen share and they imported 400+ photos to my hard drive and said that I wasn't able to carry out the process that I described above. Noted I needed to import to HD and then move to the EHD. Not sure why I would add another step when I could just import to the EHD. So now I have 400+photos on one day in April which is very much incorrect...I was bummed with that Adobe chat person.

• 1. Re: can i import from camera directly to external hard drive
          RT56 Level 1

I'm not sure I understand exactly what your issue is but i'll try to answer. You can store your photos anywhere you'd like including an external hard drive. The key is when you import the photos into lightroom you have to "tell" it where the photos are. When  you begin the import process on the right side of the import screen you set the destination for the import. You can set either your internal hard drive or an external hard drive as your location as long as you do this at the time of import. If you choose an external drive the photos do not have to be placed on your internal drive first. In addition, your lightroom catalog(record of edits, not the photos themselves), can be stored either on your internal HD or external HD.

• 2. Re: can i import from camera directly to external hard drive
            katiej97805104 Level 1

Thank you...If I am getting an error message when trying to do this does this mean that my EHD is not Mac Formatted....With that being said how do i move those photos from my internal hard drive to my EHD. You were exactly correct on what I was getting at..I was pretty sure I could go directly from camera/SD card to EHD.

Thanks

• 3. Re: can i import from camera directly to external hard drive
              RT56 Level 1

The drive will need to be formatted for mac. You can reformat yourself using disk utility(google for how) or buy a disc pre-formatted for mac. As far as moving files from internal drive to EHD, take your folder with all your photos and drag directly onto your EHD. You will need to direct LR on where these images are the next time you open LR.